TESTERS WANTED! ×

I thought it would be fun to see what fellow Spies have created for their own training purposes.

I was up late last night (couldn't sleep) so I decided to work on my putting.  I have a tendency to miss near the toe of the putter.

I recalled seeing devices you could put on your putter face to help strike the middle more often.  So I decided to make my own.

What I started with was just masking tape on all but the very center of the putter face.  That wasn't really providing the feedback I wanted, so I put two pennies underneath the tape.  

Now that gives you some amazing feedback.  Miss the middle and hit the pennies and the ball goes offline and you hear KLANK.

Here is a video of it:

What are some things you all have come up with to improve your game? 

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

I think there is a DIY thread somewhere but I am lazy today and won’t look for it. @golfspy_mpr is the king of DIY aids so I am sure he will have a few.

Instead of tape and pennies, I just use rubber bands to work on center of face.
I have used Sharpies to color half the ball to make sure I am rolling the ball end over end. Combined that with sleeves of balls on each side to make a path for the putter to travel down. Can also put a couple of sleeves to act as gates to role the ball through or to keep the putter from going too outside or inside the line.
Used yardsticks to roll the ball down.
Built a balance board to work on weight/pressure shift during the swing.
I put tape on my alignment rods to help work on foot and ball positioning.
That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think there is a DIY thread somewhere but I am lazy today and won’t look for it. @golfspy_mpr is the king of DIY aids so I am sure he will have a few.

Instead of tape and pennies, I just use rubber bands to work on center of face.
I have used Sharpies to color half the ball to make sure I am rolling the ball end over end. Combined that with sleeves of balls on each side to make a path for the putter to travel down. Can also put a couple of sleeves to act as gates to role the ball through or to keep the putter from going too outside or inside the line.
Used yardsticks to roll the ball down.
Built a balance board to work on weight/pressure shift during the swing.
I put tape on my alignment rods to help work on foot and ball positioning.
That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

I've got the two-tone ball as well and I sharpied one half on another one that I made sure I salt-water balanced first.  Those are phenomenal for working on pure roll.  

I've also seen the rubber bands work well.

I used socks last night to work as a gate for my golf swing to pass through (I've been missing off the toe a lot lately).

Great examples!

WITB:

I use a pool noodle and a broken shaft for many different things.

Plant the shaft with the noodle slid onto the grip behind me on the trail side next to my hip. It's great for checking my backswing hip turn

Plant the shaft with the noodle slid onto the grip in front of my target side even with the outside of my shoulder angled up to it. Great for working on turning through impact to follow through and swing path- similar to what the Tour Striker Plane Mate teaches.

Plant the shaft with the noodle slid onto the grip in front of my target side even with the target side of my head and angled up to it. Great for working on keeping the upper body from sliding forward through impact.

Put the noodle through a range basket just behind middle of your stance and swing under it. It's good for ingraining an inside - out swing path and eliminating over the top swing patterns.

You can get even more ideas from the Bender Stik. This can be the DIY version.

Edited by TaketheCannoli

It looks like a good day to play golf!

I use a pool noodle and a broken shaft for many different things.
Plant the shaft with the noodle slid onto the grip behind me on the trail side next to my hip. It's great for checking my backswing hip turn
Plant the shaft with the noodle slid onto the grip in front of my target side even with the outside of my shoulder angled up to it. Great for working on turning through impact to follow through and swing path- similar to what the Tour Striker Plane Mate teaches.
Plant the shaft with the noodle slid onto the grip in front of my target side even with the target side of my head and angled up to it. Great for working on keeping the upper body from sliding forward through impact.
Put the noodle through a range basket just behind middle of your stance and swing under it. It's good for ingraining an inside - out swing path and eliminating over the top swing patterns.
You can get even more ideas from the Bender Stik. This can be the DIY version.

[/url]  

Great ideas! I’ve been thinking about using those bendable twist ties as an aid as well. It would be for lots of different path or strike drills.

IMG_7023.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

• 3 months later...

I’ve found myself constantly playing around the house with this chopped down (25”) iron I threw a grip on - lets me swing freely indoors without fear of smoking the ceiling.

I have a couple reflective areas where I can check swing positions too.
Many friends have asked me to make them one so figured I’d see if others are interested too! (Sadly, about as good as it gets for me during crappy Michigan winter weather)

link to listing ($29.99): https://www.ebay.com/itm/265270853916&mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

2440D57B-90BE-441F-9E80-596664389FFB.jpeg.30bff68d13db4076a90759d8d14b8a16.jpegD50239A6-CB58-4AF2-BC76-8CDB2CC5EF17.jpeg.ac964bf56fcd37a97aaa69cb47455030.jpeg

Edited by BDTWEET5