Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Something’s gotta go...

Micah T

So, I finally received my new shaft for my Ping G410 plus, and that has left me with a little dilemma. I’ve discovered how to hit my 3 wood, and it’s become a reliable fairway finder for me. I also bought a 3 iron (Titleist U510) this year to help with the gap at the top of my set. Now I’ve got 15 clubs, and someone’s gotta stay home, I’m curious what everyone thinks...

Should it come down to 3 wood or 3 iron? Both are tee shot only clubs that get hit a maximum of 3 times a round.

Should I think about removing a wedge? I’m a 5 wedge guy and love full swings from 160 and in.

Think out of the box and maybe remove a 4 or 9 iron? Both clubs get hit about 2 times a round on average.

I’m posting a graphic of my bag below with avg carry, and before anyone pm’s me about how far I hit a 7 iron, AP3 are loft jacked and I live at 4K feet and the ball carries at that elevation. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

IMG_2902.thumb.PNG.a824342056d82c1c2113bc91a6d05bdc.PNG

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

between the 3w and the driving iron, which leaves you a more comfortable distance in on most of the holes you play? 

On a short par 4 where you need to hit the fairway would you pull the 3wood or the driving irons first and would you ever hit the 3wood or driving iron off the deck on a par 5?

Based on what you have said I would drop the driving iron in favor of the 3 wood if you are hitting it extremely well

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

If they're both tee-only clubs, I'd just swap out one or the other based on the course/conditions. I've got Dr, 4w, 2h, 3i at the top and I typically decide between 2h and 3i. 2h better off the tee with lots of rollout, 3i if there are any long par 3s or reachable 5s I might need it for (I don't have your distance; 3i is about 225 for me)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Last 2 rounds I’ve gone 3 wood: I actually tried to hit it off the fairway today and that was a disaster! But I was 2/3 fairways hit the other it today...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

If they're both tee-only clubs, I'd just swap out one or the other based on the course/conditions. I've got Dr, 4w, 2h, 3i at the top and I typically decide between 2h and 3i. 2h better off the tee with lots of rollout, 3i if there are any long par 3s or reachable 5s I might need it for (I don't have your distance; 3i is about 225 for me)

Yeah that is definitely doable: Generally now that I’m hitting driver on long holes, neither club is needed for 2nd shots on par 5. My miss with both clubs is a right block/power fade.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

I don't generally take full swings with wedges, but I'm otherwise in a similar situation, albeit in the lower rent distance neighborhood.  What I've done is drop the 3w and stick with the 2h.  My course isn't particularly long, a 3w shot doesn't come into play often enough to make it worth the time.  If I need a shorter tee shot, I find the 2h covers the need quite well.

Part of my motivation towards the hybrid is a predisposition towards heavier shafts, which are much more plentiful in the hybrid world.  Using a 105g iron shaft at present and love it.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Based on your gaps and distances, I would look for a different set of irons.  You have some weird yardage gaps at the bottom of the bag that could be better with more traditional irons

Also the 10 yard gap between 52 and 56 makes sense.  The 15 yard gap between a 50 and 52 does not make sense.

You seem to be a long hitter so those strong lofted AP3s are doing you no favors at the bottom of the bag

Could you hit the 3i off the fairway ? bc I would prob drop the 4 if you only hit maybe once a round its only a 10 yard difference where you could just swing the 3i slightly less then full swing ?

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Based on your gaps and distances, I would look for a different set of irons.  You have some weird yardage gaps at the bottom of the bag that could be better with more traditional irons
Also the 10 yard gap between 52 and 56 makes sense.  The 15 yard gap between a 50 and 52 does not make sense.

You seem to be a long hitter so those strong lofted AP3s are doing you no favors at the bottom of the bag

In hindsight, I would get the AP2 instead: at the time of purchase I wanted the extra distance. As I’ve improved it’s left some odd gapping that I hope to fix with a wedge fitting this fall..

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Could you hit the 3i off the fairway ? bc I would prob drop the 4 if you only hit maybe once a round its only a 10 yard difference where you could just swing the 3i slightly less then full swing ?

I don’t hit 3 iron off the fairway: generally due to how low the trajectory is and how far it rolls out. 3 wood from the fairway is a once a round occurrence at most: it requires me to hit a below average drive on a par 5.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

The wedge gapping has become more of an issue since the driver went back in the bag; clearly I need some practice taking 5-10 yards off a wedge, then again,@jlukes points out that my strong lofted irons might be more of an issue...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

15 hours ago, Micah T said:

I don’t hit 3 iron off the fairway: generally due to how low the trajectory is and how far it rolls out. 3 wood from the fairway is a once a round occurrence at most: it requires me to hit a below average drive on a par 5.

gotcha that wouldn't work then 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

How consistent do you hit your driver? Considering there is only 20yds difference between your D and your 3W I would leave the D at home. I regularly leave my D out of my bag unless I play a course that has long Par 5's.  

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 8/12/2020 at 7:17 AM, Micah T said:

The wedge gapping has become more of an issue since the driver went back in the bag; clearly I need some practice taking 5-10 yards off a wedge, then again,@jlukes points out that my strong lofted irons might be more of an issue...

Tried shortening your grip, I find it gives me up to 7-12m depending on the wedge.

How consistent do you hit your driver? Considering there is only 20yds difference between your D and your 3W I would leave the D at home. I regularly leave my D out of my bag unless I play a course that has long Par 5's.  

Just got a new shaft for my driver: I’m going to have to adjust my average distance: after 5 rounds my average carry is up about 12 yards, so there’s a 30+ yard difference, plus I’m more accurate with the new driver shaft (75% fir) than the 3 wood(63%) I’m going to have to see between the 3 iron and 3 wood which I hit better off the deck. Off the tee the 3 wood wins, but off the deck they’re both 50/50 if I’ll hit a decent shot...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Tried shortening your grip, I find it gives me up to 7-12m depending on the wedge.

I was trying that last night, and it definitely worked! I seemed to pull left when I choke down, I’m going to try narrowing my stance tonight...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

23 hours ago, Micah T said:

I was trying that last night, and it definitely worked! I seemed to pull left when I choke down, I’m going to try narrowing my stance tonight...

Yep, takes a bit of getting used to. Sounds like you are coming over the top. Interestingly usually my bad shots I push to the right (I am right handed). Usually means I forgot to open my stance to allow my body to clear.

Yep, takes a bit of getting used to. Sounds like you are coming over the top. Interestingly usually my bad shots I push to the right (I am right handed). Usually means I forgot to open my stance to allow my body to clear.

Turns out that’s just where I was pointing the face: I took some time to verify my aim during last nights range session, and my club face was aimed left. Still need to practice choking down with my longer wedges, full swings while choked down seem a little fat right now...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

So it looks like the 3 wood is going in the bag for the rest of the year: 3iron off the turf is just nowhere near as consistent as the 3 wood. Might change next season depending on my wedge fitting, but for now the 3 iron is on the bench.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

On 8/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Micah T said:

So it looks like the 3 wood is going in the bag for the rest of the year: 3iron off the turf is just nowhere near as consistent as the 3 wood. Might change next season depending on my wedge fitting, but for now the 3 iron is on the bench.

Keeping the more versatile club makes a ton of sense.  Especially if you have a driver that you like.  A good fitting 460cc driver can be the easiest club in the bag to hit (for those of us who started out with persimmon and the first tiny-headed metal woods, this is mind-blowing).

The choked-down wedge shot takes lots of practice.  Stick with it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 3:05 PM, Micah T said:

So, I finally received my new shaft for my Ping G410 plus, and that has left me with a little dilemma. I’ve discovered how to hit my 3 wood, and it’s become a reliable fairway finder for me. I also bought a 3 iron (Titleist U510) this year to help with the gap at the top of my set. Now I’ve got 15 clubs, and someone’s gotta stay home, I’m curious what everyone thinks...

Should it come down to 3 wood or 3 iron? Both are tee shot only clubs that get hit a maximum of 3 times a round.

Should I think about removing a wedge? I’m a 5 wedge guy and love full swings from 160 and in.

Think out of the box and maybe remove a 4 or 9 iron? Both clubs get hit about 2 times a round on average.

I’m posting a graphic of my bag below with avg carry, and before anyone pm’s me about how far I hit a 7 iron, AP3 are loft jacked and I live at 4K feet and the ball carries at that elevation. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

IMG_2902.thumb.PNG.a824342056d82c1c2113bc91a6d05bdc.PNG

Based on your graphic, the 10 yard gaps on the high end seem a bit tight compared to the 15 and 20 yard gaps on the low end. 

I would recommend getting a gapping session with a fitter to even it out and take out a mid to long iron after the set is tweaked. 

What they would do is adjust the lofts slightly to give you a uniform gap from club to club that would essentially eliminate the need for a club. 

As I see it, 12-15 yard gaps on the long irons would get you there. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Yeah I’ve got a wedge fitting scheduled for mid- October; might end up getting some irons bent in addition to new wedges...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9