TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting Fit - Your Thoughts

Basically what I am after is if getting a club fitting is actually worth it. I am still a bit skeptical only because I believe my game is not good enough to be properly fit. Currently, I do not think I am consistent enough to be fit. This is partly due to inadequate practice but I keep hearing the whole "learning how to ride a bike that does not fit you" analogy, so I am wondering if there is any merit to that. I probably need to go and receive lessons before I decide to be fitted. I guess I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the whole fitting process and if you notice any drastic changes in your golf games. Thanks everyone!

Most Recent Testing: :Sub70: 949x PRO Hybrid 

In my  :callaway-small: 2019 X-Cart Bag :  

:taylormade-small: M3 10.5* (TENSEI Blue 6R)

:benhogan-small: GS53 3W 14* (Review)

:mizuno-small: CLK 2017 4H 22* 

:taylormade-small: M6 Irons 4-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

AW, SW: :Sub70: Forged Satin 48*, 54* 

LW::vokey-small: SM6 60*

:wilson_staff_small:  Infinite Putter Michigan Ave 34"

:bridgestone-small: e6  

Current Tech:

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Rangefinder

:skycaddie: LX5 GPS Smartwatch (Review)

Not sure who told you that but if you are truly a 16 handicap then I don't see any way that a fitting won't help. That's about the point in which you can start to see it make a true difference.

Someone that shoots in the 100s maybe not, but now that you're in the mid-teens it seems a good time.

Besides - it's fun as heck!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Not sure who told you that but if you are truly a 16 handicap then I don't see any way that a fitting won't help. That's about the point in which you can start to see it make a true difference.

Someone that shoots in the 100s maybe not, but now that you're in the mid-teens it seems a good time.

I shoot in the low 100s and the fitting was worthwhile still.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

If you are consistent enough to be a 16 handicap then your game is definitely consistent enough to get fitted. 

Getting some lessons first also probably couldn't hurt. You may not realize it, but there is a strong chance that what you perceive as inconsistency is all related to a few swing flaws and not just you doing something randomly different each time you hit a bad shot. Put another way, there may be some consistency to your bad shots even if the results of those bad shots are all different. 

I think a big part of improving at golf is trying to be objective about yourself. In all likelihood, you could drop 4 more shots off of your handicap and still not feel as consistent as you want, but reality is you'd probably be better than 75% of the golfers out there at a 12 handicap. You're a prime candidate to get fitted IMO.

Edited by ChitownM2

I'm in the same boat here.....when I'm swinging well....love my irons, why change them.  When I'm putting well, putters great.  My question would be....for going down the fitting road, where should one start?  Seems to me.....driver fitting would be a logical/best start.  Seems shaft would be most critical here.....decent drive, get the ball in play.  So if a "whole bag" fitting is out, where does one begin?

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

1 hour ago, EEZurg said:

I'm in the same boat here.....when I'm swinging well....love my irons, why change them.  When I'm putting well, putters great.  My question would be....for going down the fitting road, where should one start?  Seems to me.....driver fitting would be a logical/best start.  Seems shaft would be most critical here.....decent drive, get the ball in play.  So if a "whole bag" fitting is out, where does one begin?

I started with the driver. If you can keep your drives in play you will have a lot more opportunities to dial in the irons you currently have. Then I would go for the iron fitting. My biggest reduction in handicap came from being in the center of the fairway. Everyone is different, but my drives needed some distance and to find the center of the fairway more often allowing me to go for the green with the irons.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

20 hours ago, AGutierrez7 said:

Basically what I am after is if getting a club fitting is actually worth it. I am still a bit skeptical only because I believe my game is not good enough to be properly fit. Currently, I do not think I am consistent enough to be fit. This is partly due to inadequate practice but I keep hearing the whole "learning how to ride a bike that does not fit you" analogy, so I am wondering if there is any merit to that. I probably need to go and receive lessons before I decide to be fitted. I guess I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on the whole fitting process and if you notice any drastic changes in your golf games. Thanks everyone!

You need to consider that playing ill-fitting clubs may be a big culprit in the level of golf you’re playing............

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I will be the first to admit I have gone back and forth regarding how I feel about fitting vs not fitted subject. Today I strongly believe and am a proponent for proper custom club fittings. I have invested a great deal of time learning fitting methodologies, testing and doing basic fittings.

There was a time I had opinion/thoughts such as "at the end of the day, it's the swing you put on the ball" and "many people have never had lessons and/or fittings and still shoot par scores and better".  An analogy a friend of mine always use to tell me was "there are many "homemade" and unique swings that produce high and low scores but we know there is some correlation with various fundamentals and good - consistent scoring--their clubs may or may not be fitted.

I would suggest that ill-fitted clubs cause one to manipulate their swing to achieve the goal of trying to hit the ball straighter to the hole. In other words you learn to work with what you have (a club that might not really fit you) and figure out how to hit it how you want. Suppose there is nothing wrong with that, maybe not the most efficient way to get the job done but history and many golfers that do this have proven it can be done.

Conversely many have probably never improved and may have even quit the game possibly due to ill fitted clubs. So all that to say IMO it really depends on your talent, ability to execute your shots with or without a fitted set of clubs. Some believe in it, others don't. I do believe in it and my experience is I am more consistent when my clubs fit. 

1 minute ago, aerospace_ray said:

Conversely many have probably never improved and may have even quit the game possibly due to ill fitted clubs. So all that to say IMO it really depends on your talent, ability to execute your shots with or without a fitted set of clubs. Some believe in it, others don't. I do believe in it and my experience is I am more consistent when my clubs fit. 

I agree - but I'd also add it depends on what your objective is. If it's just to go out and have fun 6 or 8 times a year then OTR clubs will probably work. On the other hand, like many of us here, we're constantly looking to improve and the fitting is just another part of the equation to getting better. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Also a good fitter will help you identify where it is your swing and strike vs the club. They should be checking your original clubs to see how you hit them. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

As others have mentioned, fitting is a numbers game - not about the LM data (which does form a part of it) but purely about percentages.

A fittied club will have a greater percentage of a better result - regardless of your swing. In fact, it's because of your swing that the fitted club makes perfect sense. It simply reduces the chances (or percentages) of a poor result than a club that is statistically less likely to provide a positive result, because it has not been matched to your physical or dynamic needs. It's that simple.

Once you get your head around that simple premise, your playing ability will improve as a result, because you will have the confidence to believe your clubs are not the root cause of your own ability.

The comcept of fitting is great, I just don't know where to go or who does it well in my area.  I've had one putter fitting which came out ok, and one driver fitting which was terrible. Im not going back to that place, btw, one of Golf Digest top 100 clubfitters.

Edited by SlowNLow

On 8/7/2020 at 2:04 PM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Currently playing off a 15.7, shooting high 80s to low 90s currently. So maybe lessons first then club fitting might be the approach I take. Also if it's fun, I'm all for it! 

On 8/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, ChitownM2 said:

If you are consistent enough to be a 16 handicap then your game is definitely consistent enough to get fitted. 

Getting some lessons first also probably couldn't hurt. You may not realize it, but there is a strong chance that what you perceive as inconsistency is all related to a few swing flaws and not just you doing something randomly different each time you hit a bad shot. Put another way, there may be some consistency to your bad shots even if the results of those bad shots are all different. 

I think a big part of improving at golf is trying to be objective about yourself. In all likelihood, you could drop 4 more shots off of your handicap and still not feel as consistent as you want, but reality is you'd probably be better than 75% of the golfers out there at a 12 handicap. You're a prime candidate to get fitted IMO.

Definitely will start with lessons first to assess my swing flaws. I know I currently struggle with coming over the top which produces that borderline slice. So I figure if I can remedy that swing flaw I would probably be more inclined to get fit. 

:taylormade-small: M6 Irons 4-PW (KBS MAX 85g Stiff Steel Shafts, Std Length & Lie)

Current Tech:

On 8/7/2020 at 7:35 PM, EEZurg said:

I would assume starting with the driver is a good idea. That's probably what I am going to start with (or 3 wood, my other tee club).

On 8/8/2020 at 10:16 AM, PMookie said:

You need to consider that playing ill-fitting clubs may be a big culprit in the level of golf you’re playing............

That's exactly my other thought. Sometimes out on the course I feel like I put a good swing on the club but the result doesn't match. So that leads to me thinking that it sometimes IS the club and not me. 

Current Tech:

Keep in mind a fitting is not just about clubs. 

its about fitting clubs and your swing. A fitter is or should be knowledgeable about the golf swing and can possibly talk to swing flaws that could be messing with your consistency. 

The fitter could recommend gear that can also add to the category.  As previously identified. The swing can be impacted by the gear. Weight length flex etc. If nothing else it will bring a peace of mind one way or other. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Did you see this topic:

It's a great review of a fitting.  Seems to me....they fixed his lie, length of club, and flex which I can see all helping.  What I didn't like was the fitter choosing an exotic/expensive shaft....that would have bummed me out.  All things to be prepared for and address when getting fitted.  Learning a lot here.....thanks all

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

On 8/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, AGutierrez7 said:

We don't know that much about you and your game.  You could be a 16 that hits it like an 8 and chips/putts like a 30.  Or you could chip and putt like an 8 and hit it like a 30.  We also don't know if your clubs are drastically too long or short, heavy or light, stiff or flexible, etc.  There's a chance that your current clubs fit.  Not a good chance, but a chance.  

Lessons are always a good idea.  And a decent teacher should be able to tell you whether your clubs are drastically ill-fitting or just a little bit off.

What I wouldn't do is wait until your swing is perfect before being fitted.

On 8/9/2020 at 7:43 PM, SlowNLow said:

The comcept of fitting is great, I just don't know where to go or who does it well in my area.  I've had one putter fitting which came out ok, and one driver fitting which was terrible. Im not going back to that place, btw, one of Golf Digest top 100 clubfitters.

Let us know where you live, and there's a good chance that we can recommend a good fitter near you.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Usually biggest gains will be from a driver fitting unless your current club just happens to be a good fit followed by putter due to the amount you use these clubs and how quickly they can gain you a larger number of strokes with no swing changes. Irons/wedge fitting would be after that unless you have physical characteristics that are far from average: extremely long or short arms with average height or extremely tall or short. 

I'm a similar handicap range as yourself and a driver fitting gained me 10-20 yards with improved dispersion by going to a heavier shaft with a lower lofted head to reduce spin. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

22 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

We don't know that much about you and your game.  You could be a 16 that hits it like an 8 and chips/putts like a 30.  Or you could chip and putt like an 8 and hit it like a 30.  We also don't know if your clubs are drastically too long or short, heavy or light, stiff or flexible, etc.  There's a chance that your current clubs fit.  Not a good chance, but a chance.  

Lessons are always a good idea.  And a decent teacher should be able to tell you whether your clubs are drastically ill-fitting or just a little bit off.

What I wouldn't do is wait until your swing is perfect before being fitted.

Let us know where you live, and there's a good chance that we can recommend a good fitter near you.  

Thats the least I could do, I live just north of Rochester, MI,  USA

Thanks.

And if you guys know of a good trainer for golf, i need that really bad.

Edited by SlowNLow

Driver or putter - probably driver but if you are able do both

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD