TESTERS WANTED! ×

Eliminate the DQ for an incorrect scorecard on the PGA Tour

GolfSpy MPR

With Cameron Tringale being DQ'd from the PGA Championship today for signing an incorrect scorecard, I want to ask: why in the world is this still a rule on the PGA Tour? In my opinion, this a rule that has long since ceased being useful at the top level of the game, when there's zero question about what a guy actually shot.

When is the last time that, on the PGA Tour, a guy signed an incorrect card on purpose to try to gain an advantage? You can't possibly get away with it. So if it's not possible to cheat this way, why DQ a guy for it?

Obviously, in *most* golf events played at every level other than the PGA Tour, this rule absolutely makes sense. There aren't rules officials all over the course. It would be possible for a guy to cheat by signing a fraudulent score, and so it is absolutely essential that the competitors turn in an honest card. That does make golf different than other sports.

But on the PGA Tour level? I just don't get it. Can someone make an argument that this should be part of the game on the highest pro tour?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I agree it certainly doesn't warrant a DQ. If anything, it should be a 1 or 2 stroke penalty.  What even constitutes an incorrect card? Is it just total score? If I screw up and write a 6 & 5 for consecutive holes when I really had a 5 & 6 is that an incorrect card because those holes are wrong even though my total score is correct? 

What were the circumstances for his incorrect card today?

Edit: Just read what happened. I think a 1 stroke penalty in situations like this where the player identifies the error would be appropriate. 

Edited by ChitownM2

I could go either way on it. I see your point and think it's valid, but accurate score keeping is an integral part of the game. While I won't say it's impossible, I don't think that guys are out there trying to fudge their score - they might take questionable drops or make questionable practice swings (Patrick Reed). I think incorrect scorecards occur when a player doesn't have a proper understanding of the rules and fails to assess the proper number of penalty strokes or something. However, there are far too many people available for questioning to ensure you have a correct scorecard. Also, isn't it on all the players in a group to verify the accuracy of scores? I'm honestly not sure how it works on the tour, but if players are supposed to track each others' scores or at least verify correct scorecards then why aren't the other players within a group penalized? 

Ultimately, I think the reason the rule is enforced is because the USGA and R&A have committed to non-bifurcation of the rules (so-far) and the tours aren't about to implement their own rules as to how the game is played. It'd be far too messy and likely damage a lot of partnerships and potentially brand image, viewership, and ratings.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Your argument has merit, but the rule exists for all players, not just those competing on the PGA Tour.  It pertains to the guy playing his club championship, the city championships, and all other amateur, as well as professional, events.  While it would be difficult to pull off at the PGA level, it would be far more foreseeable as an egregious attempt to cheat at a less visible event such as a club championship.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I could go either way on it. I see your point and think it's valid, but accurate score keeping is an integral part of the game. While I won't say it's impossible, I don't think that guys are out there trying to fudge their score - they might take questionable drops or make questionable practice swings (Patrick Reed). I think incorrect scorecards occur when a player doesn't have a proper understanding of the rules and fails to assess the proper number of penalty strokes or something. However, there are far too many people available for questioning to ensure you have a correct scorecard. Also, isn't it on all the players in a group to verify the accuracy of scores? I'm honestly not sure how it works on the tour, but if players are supposed to track each others' scores or at least verify correct scorecards then why aren't the other players within a group penalized? 

Ultimately, I think the reason the rule is enforced is because the USGA and R&A have committed to non-bifurcation of the rules (so-far) and the tours aren't about to implement their own rules as to how the game is played. It'd be far too messy and likely damage a lot of partnerships and potentially brand image, viewership, and ratings.

Don't disagree with what you said, but I do think the USGA and R&A take this "one set of rules" thing way too far. 99.9% of the world isn't playing the same game as what happens on the PGA tour and high level amateur events. It's like comparing beer league softball to MLB, yes both groups are taking it seriously, but lets not kid ourselves about the level of competition and skill involved.

I wouldn't have any issues if the pros used special "tour rules" at their events and I sure as hell hope that if they ever decide to to anything about this so-called "distance" problem, that those would only ever apply to the tour as well. Average Joe's just aren't competing at the same level as the PGA tour and what affects one shouldn't be imposed on the other.

Decades and decades of tradition unimpeded by progress. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Yep this rule needs to go for the tours. Every shot all tournament long can be recorded and there's dozens of review officials and scoreboards all over. There should be zero question what the correct score is for any player.

This rule does need to stay in place for the amateur level though.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I don't care one way or the other but:

1. Not every player is recorded
  2. Rules officials aren't with every group.
  3. why do you think there is zero question on what a player shot?  
  4. Signing a scorecard isn't that hard.  No math has to be done;  it is just the score for each hole. 
  5. The score that is being signed for is their official score;  there isn't any other official score kept.

There would have to be several changes to have a player not keep their own score. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I don't care one way or the other but:

1. Not every player is recorded
  2. Rules officials aren't with every group.
  3. why do you think there is zero question on what a player shot?  
  4. Signing a scorecard isn't that hard.  No math has to be done;  it is just the score for each hole. 
  5. The score that is being signed for is their official score;  there isn't any other official score kept.

There would have to be several changes to have a player not keep their own score

I know that not every shot is on video, not every shot (at most tournaments) is recorded with ShotLink, right?

Full WITB with pictures

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

With Cameron Tringale being DQ'd from the PGA Championship today for signing an incorrect scorecard, I want to ask: why in the world is this still a rule on the PGA Tour? In my opinion, this a rule that has long since ceased being useful at the top level of the game, when there's zero question about what a guy actually shot.

When is the last time that, on the PGA Tour, a guy signed an incorrect card on purpose to try to gain an advantage? You can't possibly get away with it. So if it's not possible to cheat this way, why DQ a guy for it?

Obviously, in *most* golf events played at every level other than the PGA Tour, this rule absolutely makes sense. There aren't rules officials all over the course. It would be possible for a guy to cheat by signing a fraudulent score, and so it is absolutely essential that the competitors turn in an honest card. That does make golf different than other sports.

But on the PGA Tour level? I just don't get it. Can someone make an argument that this should be part of the game on the highest pro tour?

I think it’s got a lot to do with what @cnosil spoke too but also like baseball, old school mentality

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I know that not every shot is on video, not every shot (at most tournaments) is recorded with ShotLink, right?

Yes,  by volunteers that get about 10 minutes of training.   There are also walking scorers who get about 10 minutes of training.   I volunteer as a walking scorer for the LPGA and can tell you that many of the volunteers doing those jobs have no clue.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I think it’s got a lot to do with what @cnosil spoke too but also like baseball, old school mentality

I am not sure that it is even old school mentality.   How hard is it for these guys to kept track of a scorecard?   

6 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am not sure that it is even old school mentality.   How hard is it for these guys to kept track of a scorecard?   

I meant more signing the card has been going on for how long? It’s engrained in the game. Kind of like logging a baseball game on paper

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

9 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I meant more signing the card has been going on for how long? It’s engrained in the game. Kind of like logging a baseball game on paper

Yeah, but if a team's scorer messes up the scoring, the team doesn't get an automatic L.

Full WITB with pictures

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Yeah, but if a team's scorer messes up the scoring, the team doesn't get an automatic L.

Very true, touché 

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

Yes,  by volunteers that get about 10 minutes of training.   There are also walking scorers who get about 10 minutes of training.   I volunteer as a walking scorer for the LPGA and can tell you that many of the volunteers doing those jobs have no clue.  

This is a good point. I've volunteered as a walking scorer before and while those scores are live-updating the digital scoreboard, I was explicitly told to interact with the players as little as possible. The players keeping each other's cards have the official score and I always saw that as part of the sportsmanship.

That being said, I'm a proponent of addition errors should be corrected, no penalty. Wrong scores should stay higher if incorrectly high and should incur a 2-shot penalty added to the correct score if incorrectly low. If a player and a competitor discuss the score and both *sign* the card, it's more akin to, at worst, conspiracy and more likely absentmindedness than outright cheating. (I once refused to sign a card when I knew my competitor was lying and we had to get an arbiter to resolve the dispute. I was right, he was wrong.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

This is one of the most difficult topics for me in golf. A part of me hopes a new rule, set of processes come about so that no one who ever makes a honest mistake, a mistake in which no one gains anything over another player gets disqualified. And there is a part me of that sides with tradition as I will attempt to articulate below. 

I guess I am still of a old school mentality regarding many parts of the game. Tradition, honor the game by how you conduct yourself, integrity still govern my thought process regarding golf rules. It's almost sacred how I view the tradition and rules, maybe its the generation I learned and how I was introduced to the game. The accurate scorecard keeping is just something I was taught to take very very  serious and do correctly. Yes we are human and make mistakes. However, there is time to get the score recorded correctly after each hole on the course and totaled after the round. And I was taught it's one of the most important parts of competition - no room for error (whether honest or dishonest). 

But I am not naive. The game is changing by generation and progressing in many areas and I do agree that is good. Being honest, there are just some areas I struggle with change in the game of golf. I get today's golf is/has evolved. I think the attempt to simplify the rules recently with the recent rule changes is evidence of game evolving. Technology at the highest levels (PGA tour) including the people factor-- the number of marshals, etc does afford the recording of shots and number of people witnessing the players play each hole. So I do sometimes think why not lessen the penalty for a accidental/honest mistake with loss of hole, 2 shot penalty addition, etc. But I fear a relaxed attitude regarding score keeping may lead to other areas that threaten the integrity of the game. Maybe I am overreacting here but it's how I feel.

I still gravitate  back to my original  thinking that this is a game above other sports with high level of integrity with exact rules. Most everyone knows you can not sign for incorrect scorecard -- take the time to get it right. For competitive golf I was taught to immediately write score down before teeing off on the next hole -- and write it twice (one on scorecard and one on extra notepad paper I used when in tournament. At the highest level I think win or lose that one is responsible for the accurate recording and adding their scores. 

I totally missed this. Who discovered that he had signed for the wrong score?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As someone who has tried to be a walking scorer at a PGA event it's not as simple as 10 min of instruction. At least not in the past 3 years I have tried. They want you to have previous experience at some other levels event. Granted that doesn't make you an expert but I also have been told the walking scorers responsibility is for the stats and live scoring on tv it has nothing to do with actual rounds score.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

As someone who has tried to be a walking scorer at a PGA event it's not as simple as 10 min of instruction. At least not in the past 3 years I have tried. They want you to have previous experience at some other levels event. Granted that doesn't make you an expert but I also have been told the walking scorers responsibility is for the stats and live scoring on tv it has nothing to do with actual rounds score.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I was exaggerating on the training time. I go to a 1 hour training class where the instructor quickly goes through the slide deck and explains how the software works.

You are correct the information you see on television is not the official score. We capture shots and where that shot was hit from. We have a handheld device to capture that information. And if the device fails you go to paper backup. You also radio the scores in to confirm everything was correct.

We also hear the communications of the other scorers so I can tell you that many people have lots of issues and report incorrect scores.

I have no issue with the rule as-is.  It's just not that difficult to review your card after the round before signing.  By the time guys reach the PGA Tour, they have been reviewing and signing scorecards for more than a decade.  It's not like it's a new thing for them.  

On 8/8/2020 at 3:58 PM, greggarner said:

This is a good point. I've volunteered as a walking scorer before and while those scores are live-updating the digital scoreboard, I was explicitly told to interact with the players as little as possible. The players keeping each other's cards have the official score and I always saw that as part of the sportsmanship.

That being said, I'm a proponent of addition errors should be corrected, no penalty. Wrong scores should stay higher if incorrectly high and should incur a 2-shot penalty added to the correct score if incorrectly low. If a player and a competitor discuss the score and both *sign* the card, it's more akin to, at worst, conspiracy and more likely absentmindedness than outright cheating. (I once refused to sign a card when I knew my competitor was lying and we had to get an arbiter to resolve the dispute. I was right, he was wrong.)

Addition errors are explicitly the responsibility of the Committee, all the player is required to do is to report the correct score on each hole.

I don't see a problem with the rules as it stands.  I'm  a big believer in the idea of a single set of rules to cover the entire game, not separate rules for the PGA Tour, and as most have said, the scorecard rule is absolutely appropriate for just about all golf.  And its really not complicated to keep track of your own scores, and to check them against what your scorer has written down before signing the card.

11 hours ago, revkev said:

I totally missed this. Who discovered that he had signed for the wrong score?

Apparently Tringale himself noticed the error, after the fact.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-championship-2020-cameron-tringale-disqualified-signing-incorrect-scorecard-dq-tpc-harding-park

The article mentions that he's made the same mistake before.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It does seem a bit harsh - particularly so if just an honest mistake.  But these guys have themselves and their caddie to double check at the end of a hole (they can even confer with the playing partners), so it really dosen't seem to be such a momentous task to get it correct.  Considering the kind of $$$$ involved with tour events, perhaps having this consequence is needed.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

It does seem a bit harsh - particularly so if just an honest mistake.  But these guys have themselves and their caddie to double check at the end of a hole (they can even confer with the playing partners), so it really dosen't seem to be such a momentous task to get it correct.  Considering the kind of $$$$ involved with tour events, perhaps having this consequence is needed.

Its not about the money involved, Its a rule that effects every one of us who plays any kind of competitive stroke-play golf.  We don't have the luxury of a caddie, of walking scorers, of any of the assistance the Tour players do, yet the rules expect each one of use to be able to report the correct score on each hole.  Its about doing a simple task properly, with a clearly defined consequence for failure. 

The rule was actually eased up within my memory.  Prior to 1988, if you reported a wrong score for a hole, either higher or lower, you got DQ.  Starting in 1988, you got DQ for reporting a score lower than you actually made, but if you report a higher score, that score stands as reported.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It seems to me that if I were a player I’d rather have control over things than allowing others to do it for me - if there’s going to be a mistake it should be my own. But whenever it matters we check one another at the end of the round. Don’t guys on tour do that?

Shouldn’t each say to the other - I had you for a 71? Whatever it is?

I agree that the penalty seems severe so what would you counter proposal be? No penalty? A number of strokes?

I’d be inclined to leave it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

It seems to me that if I were a player I’d rather have control over things than allowing others to do it for me - if there’s going to be a mistake it should be my own. But whenever it matters we check one another at the end of the round. Don’t guys on tour do that?

Shouldn’t each say to the other - I had you for a 71? Whatever it is?

They read the scores to each other.   They generally read them off in bunches of 3.  

I think it's a wholly imaginary thing that the game is not already significantly bifurcated. TV coverage exists to enough extent that it has had impact on rulings. There are always grounds changes (stands, TV gear, concessions, sponsor stuff) that affect how the course plays. Usually, there are fans around to trample rough and find lost balls. Frankly, they always have caddies giving them advice (yes, a small percentage of us non-pros get that, but really, that's a minority of golf play, if we're honest.) Each of those is a bigger deal and has a bigger impact on the real outcome of the game than score keeping.

Effectively, I don't buy the argument that this is an aspect that makes the game that they play the same as it is for us. In more ways and in more significant ways than the scorecard, it's not. Having a pro DQd because of this when the technology and staffing already exists to make it go away is just silly. Stupid, really.

Edited by TeeBrain

6 hours ago, TeeBrain said:

I think it's a wholly imaginary thing that the game is not already significantly bifurcated. TV coverage exists to enough extent that it has had impact on rulings. There are always grounds changes (stands, TV gear, concessions, sponsor stuff) that affect how the course plays. Usually, there are fans around to trample rough and find lost balls. Frankly, they always have caddies giving them advice (yes, a small percentage of us non-pros get that, but really, that's a minority of golf play, if we're honest.) Each of those is a bigger deal and has a bigger impact on the real outcome of the game than score keeping.

Effectively, I don't buy the argument that this is an aspect that makes the game that they play the same as it is for us. In more ways and in more significant ways than the scorecard, it's not. Having a pro DQd because of this when the technology and staffing already exists to make it go away is just silly. Stupid, really.

I agree with you. 

Maybe in the days of old it was considering cheating if a scorecard was wrong.   But now?   A guy in Antarctica can find out a player's score hole by hole via the Web before a player gets to the scoring tent.   

Other players in other sports don't have to keep track of the scores, like bowlers..    Basketball players don't keep track how points they had, but they do need to know what the score is of course, just ask JR Smith.  😩

No doubt we normal people still need score cards, and we need to check them.   We are in a different world.  And we have to lug the bag from the parking lot, apply the rules on our own, clean club faces, rake traps, replace divots, tend pins,  wash our golf balls, etc.  (and pay for our own lunch)

But now?   A guy in Antarctica can find out a player's score hole by hole via the Web before a player gets to the scoring tent.   

That score is unofficial and has been know to be wrong. Those scores are kept by volunteers that follow the group and based on experience some of those volunteers struggle to enter the right score.