Our Sponsors

So here's my rant for today. We are golfers and enjoy watching the elite of the game make shots we all dream of making  and try to win tournaments. To me there is nothing worse than watching a select few of the elite throw temper tantrums. We have seen clubs thrown, clubs snapped in half on purpose, clubs thrown in the water. Putters slammed into the greens. Wedges slamed into the side of greens when missing a sand shot. Spitting on the greens.

I know there have been some fines inforced in some instances, but these guys have money and probably don't care about the fine. They get their equipment for free and have it replaced within the same day.  So they dont care about the equipment either. We all get disappointed when we hit a bad shot. What can be done to get these guys to act professionally on television? They are setting a poor example of how a "Gentlemens Game" should be portrayed.

Yes I know " Gentlemens Game" is old school terminology, so lets just say they should act with respect for the game. Maybe the media should talk more about the cost of the fines and embarrased them.

Maybe the golfer should be forced to play the rest of the tournment without that club if it was done on purpose.

Ok , my rant is over. How do you feel about this?

• Like 5

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

Baseball players slam helmets, throw bats, hit water coolers and throw their helmets. Football players slam helmets, toss water coolers. Tennis players slam rackets. Hockey players slam sticks and swat the board with them. Golf is no different. They are all humans and humans have emotions and it gets let out a little too much sometimes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yeah, we all should keep our temper, but I’ve been known to get pissed during a round and cuss a bit. I can’t ask more of them than of myself. I don’t throw clubs, or damage greens/bunkers, but I have said a few choice words. Rare, and never with people I don’t know, but I’ve done it around friends.

They're human.... I sure am glad no one follows me around with a camera!!!!

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Yeah, we all should keep our temper, but I’ve been known to get pissed during a round and cuss a bit. I can’t ask more of them than of myself. I don’t throw clubs, or damage greens/bunkers, but I have said a few choice words. Rare, and never with people I don’t know, but I’ve done it around friends.
They're human.... I sure am glad no one follows me around with a camera!!!!

If I got fined for swearing I’d be broke
Like you only around people I know and mostly in jest.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

First I do hold the professional golfers to a higher standard. I have zero tolerance for a player spitting in the cup and/or a player taking a divot on a green with their putter in a fit of anger. I get mad and maybe cuss but I don't do anything that could affect group playing behind me or cause irreparable damage to the course. Have many times witnessed friends who have broke clubs  during a round. Even as competitive as I feel I am  I have never broke a golf club or thrown one. Was taught by my dad that if I was ever caught throwing a club I would never play again. It stuck with me. In high school similar rule, any club throwing and your risk sitting out and not getting to play for long time. I guess people handle emotions different but I just vent a little and move on mainly talking under my breath to myself. I did play other sports in younger days. Several times bounced a basketball very hard (got technical called), I have thrown a football helmet into ground (but you can't hurt a football helmet), never broke a wooden baseball bat (I was afraid I would hurt myself) but I have always viewed golf as different -- it's the game above all games. Etiquette, honor and integrity are its cornerstones. So I handle stress/frustrations a little different with golf than the other sports I played. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Pro golfers, and to a greater extent pro athletes, are all humans, just like the rest of us. The only difference is they have the potential to make a lot of money doing what amounts to a hobby for the rest of us for a living. Humans are prone to letting their emotions get the better of them. We've all been there. And I bet we all are glad there isn't a camera on us when it happens. The idea that they have to completely eliminate their human reactions when they get frustrated/angry is an impossible request. I do agree that it is unacceptable for anyone to damage the golf course and yes there are several players who could stand to get their emotions better under control, but I don't think that just because they're professional athletes that we should expect them to be immune from human responses to situations, or be held above human emotion.

I also find it interesting how opinions differ on these things from player to player. Bryson is a polarizing player and I've seen so many people chastising him consistently for weeks for some of his outbursts on the course this year, some deserved, some not, and yet Jon Rahm blows up on a photographer on Friday and no one even says anything about it. It's almost like it never happened. Shane Lowry got caught snapping a shaft over his knee after hitting a bad shot and there are people giving him a total pass cause he's likable. Had it been Bryson or Patrick Reed, we'd be getting hot takes for weeks about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Sure, we all have tempers and I certainly cuss a lot on the course.

But I would never damage private property (greens, ball washers, carts, etc) and my clubs were paid with hard-earned money so wasting money to replace a club doesn't appeal to me.

I guess it's harder to control yourself when you know there won't be any financial repercussions.

• Like 4

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Worse than the actions...wasn't it Bryson (or Rahm) that had a temper tantrum and had it out with a photographer for filming it because if people saw it it would "hurt his brand"?  Really shows they think they are entitled to do it and it should be condoned without repercussions.

:cobra-small: F8 Driver...10.5 degree..Reg

:taylormade-small:  M1 5 Wood....19 (lofted down  to 17 degree) ....Reg

:755178188_TourEdge: 7 wood 21 degree

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ Forged  4i-AW ...Reg

:cleveland-small: 58 deg RX-3

Kirkland KS1 putter

3 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Sure, we all have tempers and I certainly cuss a lot on the course.

But I would never damage private property (greens, ball washers, carts, etc) and my clubs were paid with hard-earned money so wasting money to replace a club doesn't appeal to me.

I guess it's harder to control yourself when you know there won't be any financial repercussions.

Yup, I'm going with this one right here. You're entitled and you feel like you can do whatever you want. I don't mind golfers getting upset, it's their livelihood on the line. But berating the people around them, and messing up the course? That's BS behavior. If I got mad at work and broke something on purpose, I'd be in DEEP trouble (if not unemployed afterwards).

1 hour ago, EEZurg said:

Worse than the actions...wasn't it Bryson (or Rahm) that had a temper tantrum and had it out with a photographer for filming it because if people saw it it would "hurt his brand"?  Really shows they think they are entitled to do it and it should be condoned without repercussions.

That was Bryson, showing the world he's not anywhere close to being as smart as he thinks he is. Between his whining about being allowed to play slow, and the cameraman incident, he quickly dropped down my list of golfers to watch. Don't care how far he hits it. That behavior shows his character.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Slamming of the clubs/damaging the course I do not like, actually I can’t stand it. Same goes for the other sports throwing helmets etc. doesn’t sit well with me. 
Swear all you want I know I do! But destruction of things nah can’t get on board with that either.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

As a teenager into my early 20s I had a horrible temper on the golf course. I snapped clubs by slamming them into the ground, even broke a stand bag once. I had several playing partner tell me they couldn't deal with my schiz any more and quit playing with me.

Anymore I feel like there is a line. It's one thing to drop a putter or iron after a horrendous shot, or even curse quickly under your breath at yourself (or ball). All that old behavior of mine is and was unacceptable. More importantly we need to learn to put that bad shot out of our minds before the next one compounds the issue.

On to the pros. I like to see and hear some humanity out of these guys. That's also why I'm disappointed TV broadcasts haven't changed during the pandemic and guys aren't miced up. Anyway I think most of this behavior makes these guys look like spoiled brats. When they launch a club into a lake, or bust the head off a wood or putter. You are a professional and you know it's not the clubs fault.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 3
Slamming of the clubs/damaging the course I do not like, actually I can’t stand it. Same goes for the other sports throwing helmets etc. doesn’t sit well with me. 
Swear all you want I know I do! But destruction of things nah can’t get on board with that either.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Obviously players should not damage the course, not only does it look bad but could be unfair for anyone following them. That being said I don't think that is limited to just professional players I've seen many an amateur do it as well.

But I do think it is a little bit silly to expect these players to not show emotion, they are playing for their livelihoods. Again I've seen people freak out over a golf shots that are worth $0. can you imagine what it would feel like to shank a $100,000 shot?

I would also contend that , although we may condemn it publicly, we love to see these emotional outbursts. People love drama look no further than soap operas and reality TV. Look at the push to mic up more players, we want more personality and more individualism from these players. We certainly wouldn't want every player to have an emotional outburst all the time,, but the fact that a couple of them do adds to the entertainment, it gives us something to talk about, and it gives us someone to root for or against.

I realize that I'm rambling, but I guess my point is whether or not you think a player is right or wrong in having the outburst, them having it increases your participation, investment, and potential enjoyment of watching the game.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

Is it wrong that a part of me thinks it's just fine 🤣.  

As has been stated, they get exasperated like we all do but most are able to keep it under control.  Some have developed a reputation for not acting professional...or even mature.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Played with my kids last weekend and they noticed a golf grip in the pond near the 9th green.  I told them if they look closer they will see more of the club.  We all had a good laugh.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3