TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course Mgmt - New Chipping thought that Helped A Lot

Today I tried a new chipping strategy that I liked a lot.  My home course was designed by Donald Ross and has some massive slopes.

So, instead of doing what i normally do, which is play the break that i thought might get the ball into the hole, I made a tweak.   I analyzed the green and tried to hit it to a spot where i would have an uphill, relatively straight putt instead of possibly leaving myself a 4 foot downhill left to righter.  My goal was to never leave myself a downhill putt.  The result was a score 79 and only 30 putts!  Possibly something to try if you find yourself around the greens trying to get up and down more often.

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

Good for you 30 putts is impressive.  I have started not using my wedges around the greens.  Hit a 7,8,or 9 depending on the amount of green I have to cover.  Same stroke let the club determining the distance.  Having good results averaging about 32 putts a round.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

On 8/9/2020 at 11:53 AM, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

Today I tried a new chipping strategy that I liked a lot.  My home course was designed by Donald Ross and has some massive slopes.

So, instead of doing what i normally do, which is play the break that i thought might get the ball into the hole, I made a tweak.   I analyzed the green and tried to hit it to a spot where i would have an uphill, relatively straight putt instead of possibly leaving myself a 4 foot downhill left to righter.  My goal was to never leave myself a downhill putt.  The result was a score 79 and only 30 putts!  Possibly something to try if you find yourself around the greens trying to get up and down more often.

This is a good strategy.  I think if you watch the pros, they tend to do the same thing.  Of course, they are always trying to make putts when they can, but many times you will see them leave putts 3 feet short on a long putt rather than running the ball 3 feet past where the next putt would be a quick downhiller.  Golf is a game of where you want your misses to be, and it can be true on the greens as well as from the fairways.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That's something that I've done for a long time.  Envision the hole in a different location.  Not just chipping, either, but putting also.  It's also how I deal with slow or fast greens - envision the hole closer or further away and it helps save strokes.

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Glad it is working for you, but statistically it may not be the best strategy.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great thoughts here.  I normally am thinking so much other stuff that I forgot some of the small things that would better help cut strokes.  I may even add thinking through your second shot to help protect against short siding yourself.  If you know your "typical" miss, which I know not all of us are in that boat.  Knowing your miss can help you aim a little differently so as to avoid short siding yourself.  I honestly need to do this much more myself.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

22 minutes ago, Markelly82 said:

Great thoughts here.  I normally am thinking so much other stuff that I forgot some of the small things that would better help cut strokes.  I may even add thinking through your second shot to help protect against short siding yourself.  If you know your "typical" miss, which I know not all of us are in that boat.  Knowing your miss can help you aim a little differently so as to avoid short siding yourself.  I honestly need to do this much more myself.  

It really isn't your "miss"  it is your dispersion pattern.  We all hit shots long, short, left, and right of where we aim.  The key is to aim at the spot that puts that pattern in the best spot to avoid situations that will create big numbers on the scorecard.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

It really isn't your "miss"  it is your dispersion pattern.  We all hit shots long, short, left, and right of where we aim.  The key is to aim at the spot that puts that pattern in the best spot to avoid situations that will create big numbers on the scorecard.  

Agree with that.  Aiming to finish a couple of feet below the hole on a dangerous slanted green should move that dispersion that distance below the hole.  I don't think it necessarily means your putts are any longer on average as that twitter post seems to suggest.  I envision the long term net result to be an advantageous tradeoff of the putts above the hole being a fraction closer on average and the putts below the hole that same fraction further away..

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

It's a matter of how big your dispersion circle is for the type of shot being played though. And most people's shot dispersions, even around the greens, are relatively big, which is what Scott is getting at. Make rates don't change in Strokes Gained Putting because of an uphill, downhill, or sidehill putt. The make rate is generally going to be higher the closer you get to the hole regardless of the type of putt you leave yourself. So shifting your aimpoint to guarantee an uphill look is going to leave you with longer putts on average which isn't likely to translate to lower scores in the long term. It may work out here and there but it's probably not a strategy that will hold up over the long term.

Agree with that.  Aiming to finish a couple of feet below the hole on a dangerous slanted green should move that dispersion that distance below the hole.  I don't think it necessarily means your putts are any longer on average as that twitter post seems to suggest.  I envision the long term net result to be an advantageous tradeoff of the putts above the hole being a fraction closer on average and the putts below the hole that same fraction further away..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE