Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Steel or Graphite

I'm planning to re-shaft my G410 irons this winter, I'm not real happy with the steel shafts I currently have. I am now wondering about graphite for the irons? For those who have switched, how is ball flight and performance affected?

Chris.

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

Too many options for both steel and graphite for anyone to really answer your question.  You can get different launching shafts in varying weights, etc. Only way to know what will work for you is to go hit different options. 

That said, the  "good" graphite iron shafts that perform like steel aren't cheap. Steelfiber i95 shafts are going to be like $55 each plus install plus the costs to pull your old shafts plus new grips. Could end up that you are better off buying new clubs rather than replacing shafts. 

In the end, you're going to need to get fitted to see what shaft gives you the results you are looking for.....and I'd probably do that sooner rather than later since there will probably be a replacment for the G410 in January and it will be easier to try different shafts now while everyone still has the G410 heads in their fitting cart. If you wait until Feb or March they will probably have the new clubs and not be doing fittings on the old ones anymore.

Ball flight is going to be player dependent and the shaft type and weight will affect that differently for each person.

I have not seen anything noticeably different in ball flight between the steel shafts I’ve played and the recoil 110s and they have been in my twice in different clubs. 

The recoils give me better dispersion side to side than some of the step shafts I played. 

Just like with steel shafts there different graphite options and opinions very on them from person to person. The best thing to do ig get fit to make sure you have the optimal shafts in either material for your swing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, ChitownM2 said:

Too many options for both steel and graphite for anyone to really answer your question.  You can get different launching shafts in varying weights, etc. Only way to know what will work for you is to go hit different options. 

That said, the  "good" graphite iron shafts that perform like steel aren't cheap. Steelfiber i95 shafts are going to be like $55 each plus install plus the costs to pull your old shafts plus new grips. Could end up that you are better off buying new clubs rather than replacing shafts. 

In the end, you're going to need to get fitted to see what shaft gives you the results you are looking for.....and I'd probably do that sooner rather than later since there will probably be a replacment for the G410 in January and it will be easier to try different shafts now while everyone still has the G410 heads in their fitting cart. If you wait until Feb or March they will probably have the new clubs and not be doing fittings on the old ones anymore.

50 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ball flight is going to be player dependent and the shaft type and weight will affect that differently for each person.

I have not seen anything noticeably different in ball flight between the steel shafts I’ve played and the recoil 110s and they have been in my twice in different clubs. 

The recoils give me better dispersion side to side than some of the step shafts I played. 

Just like with steel shafts there different graphite options and opinions very on them from person to person. The best thing to do ig get fit to make sure you have the optimal shafts in either material for your swing

Thanks guys, I do plan to do the re-shafting myself to hold down cost, But it looks like there's a fitting in my near future....

Chris

Far and Sure......

There are plenty of good graphite options these days, they aren’t “whipy” like they used to be.

I’ve played the Aerotech Steel Fibers (wish I would have never gotten rid of those) and the UST Mayima Recoils (my current shafts) and had no issues with either.

As far as flight characteristics, a good fitter can find a graphite shaft to do what ever you want it to do.

But the biggest thing for me was less punishment on my wrists and elbows.

I’ll never play steel again.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

4 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Thanks guys, I do plan to do the re-shafting myself to hold down cost, But it looks like there's a fitting in my near future....

Chris

Yep definitely a fitting will be your best bet to figure out what shaft (whether steel or a switch to graphite is in order).  You can then install the shaft yourself.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I'm using the Recoil ESX 460 Stiff graphite shafts in my Cobra Speedzone irons and haven not seen the dispersion issues, beyond my normal crappy swings, that are sometimes mentioned with graphite. My ball flight is a little lower than with my steel irons which has aided my distance. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Calling @chisag lol 😛

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I went to the KBS TGI 95 and they a very nice. The flight isnr much different than the 105 steel shaft I had in the clubs.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

7 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Calling @chisag lol 😛

@chisag will definitely have a strong opinion on this one haha

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Theres really too many great options in both steel and graphite to really nail it down to a steel vs graphite argument.  For me, Id personally stick with steel just because of the cost.  Graphite is probably better if you are talking strictly performance but there is a significant cost difference.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

As others have said, you will have a gazillion choices for graphite.  First nail down what you want from the shaft:  higher flight?  lower flight?  light weight?  heavier weight? etc.  Then do some research to find shafts that fit your criteria (Golfworks is a good source for info).  Then reshaft one iron with the shaft you think will work.  If it does, great.  If not, go to the next shaft on your list.  Good luck!

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:52 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

As others have said, you will have a gazillion choices for graphite.  First nail down what you want from the shaft:  higher flight?  lower flight?  light weight?  heavier weight? etc.  Then do some research to find shafts that fit your criteria (Golfworks is a good source for info).  Then reshaft one iron with the shaft you think will work.  If it does, great.  If not, go to the next shaft on your list.  Good luck!

Sounds like a good plan, one club and see how it feels....

Chris

Far and Sure......

I’ve gamed graphite in my irons for 10 plus years. I dallied in steel one time since - big mistake. You can get graphite to do anything that steel does and it’s far easier on the body.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

I’ve gamed graphite in my irons for 10 plus years. I dallied in steel one time since - big mistake. You can get graphite to do anything that steel does and it’s far easier on the body.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think for my next set of irons, I am going to look at graphite shafts. I've been diagnosed with tennis elbow that continues to linger, and steel shafts aren't helping.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I think for my next set of irons, I am going to look at graphite shafts. I've been diagnosed with tennis elbow that continues to linger, and steel shafts aren't helping.

I moved back to graphite last year after tennis elbow and it’s stayed away and I’ve noticed no issues at all with the shaft performance, and I’m in older shafts at that. Yes I’d prefer steel for the lower costs but after dealing with tennis elbow and all the garbage that comes with it, I’m fine staying in graphites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I'm super-excited to be going with graphite in the Wilson D7 Forged.  I love the Modus 105s, but it's time for something that will make hitting a ball a little easier on me.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino