Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Galaxy...

Anyone have any insight on how Golf Galaxy is doing financially? Obviously they took a large hit through COVID but they were at an all-time low today...

I went in to buy Pro-V1s and they did not have a SINGLE box of them... in their aisle of Titleist golf balls, they had 4 dozen ProV1xs. I have noticed recently that they are not receiving any shipments and wondering if that is part of a larger financial issue.

Driver:     image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Mavrik SZ - GD XC-7X

3 Wood:   image.png.fa4b3f2cf297aab0430b504772faa7d2.png Taylormade SIM - GD AD-DI 7X

Hybrids:  image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Apex 20* - GD AD-DI 95X

Irons:      image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png  Apex Pro '19 - DG X100 4-PW

Wedges: image.png.4554f4063a75fadd669e2b2fd26101d8.png SM7

Putter:     Spider X Chalk

Ball:         ProV1

They are doing EXTREMELY well.

I am friends with the GM of my local store and they have already made up all of their losses from when they were closed earlier in the year.  They are swamped every day and they cannot keep anything in stock.

They aren't receiving shipments because the OEMs don't have product to ship.  Covid really hurt manufacturer supplies of clubs, balls and everything inbetween.

8 minutes ago, jlukes said:

They are doing EXTREMELY well.

I am friends with the GM of my local store and they have already made up all of their losses from when they were closed earlier in the year.  They are swamped every day and they cannot keep anything in stock.

They aren't receiving shipments because the OEMs don't have product to ship.  Covid really hurt manufacturer supplies of clubs, balls and everything inbetween.

Good to know. I was just shocked to not see a single ProV1 golf ball in the store. You'd think they would do everything possible to keep balls in stock right now.

Driver:     image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Mavrik SZ - GD XC-7X

3 Wood:   image.png.fa4b3f2cf297aab0430b504772faa7d2.png Taylormade SIM - GD AD-DI 7X

Hybrids:  image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png Apex 20* - GD AD-DI 95X

Irons:      image.png.4b2e2de291c6e3e8a5ad94e9f2919ba6.png  Apex Pro '19 - DG X100 4-PW

Wedges: image.png.4554f4063a75fadd669e2b2fd26101d8.png SM7

Putter:     Spider X Chalk

Ball:         ProV1

Joe hit the nail on the head. A lot of golf shops have minimal stock because A) everyone's out golfing since a lot of other activities aren't able to happen, and B) manufacturers can barely keep up. Between supply chain issues, backlogged orders and trying to do the best they can with smaller staffing, you're not going to see golf stores flush with stock.

It's the same with biking - the three bike stores near me are pretty much only open for repairs at this point, as their stock has been sold out for months and they're not expecting to get anything for a while. I lucked out and grabbed a bike as soon as they were able to open for sales a few months ago, and they got wiped out pretty quickly.

ETA: I have friends and extended family members that work for Titleist in Ball Plants 2 & 3. Titleist was big on making sure that everyone was able to come back to work safely, and part of that is fewer employees per shift for the time being. So they aren't able to turn around the same volume of balls that they might have been able to under "normal" conditions. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, trentyoung33 said:

Good to know. I was just shocked to not see a single ProV1 golf ball in the store. You'd think they would do everything possible to keep balls in stock right now.

Titleist had a 12 week backorder on balls about 1-1.5 months ago. Haven’t heard if they are still running at that or have made some progress

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, trentyoung33 said:

The store I go to has one Ping driver left.  No fairways.  No hybrids. 

They had about 1/4 of there normal odyssey putter stock.  

It indeed looks like a place that is liquidating product, when in reality they are doing great and the OEMs just cannot keep up

Golf and fitness equipment are hot right now during Covid. Fitness equipment in my opinion is probably even harder to come by, its taken a lot of luck patience for me to get a barbell and bumper plates (still waiting for them).

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some time within the last month or two our local Golf Galaxy disappeared without a trace! My wife wanted to go to the Sprouts next door to them over the weekend and when we rolled into the parking lot the store was gone, no signage, or other evidence that it had ever been there. They didn't have a ton of stuff I was interested in, but I did like to go in there and occasionally kick tires. 

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

During Dick's Sporting goods second quarter earnings statement. It was announced that they might close a substantial portion of its 80 Golf Galaxy stores over the next three years as the leases end.  Dicks had a 4.1% gain but GG dropped 9.3% Dicks also laid off 500PGA Pros from their stores. (Don't count on a good fitting)

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

During Dick's Sporting goods second quarter earnings statement. It was announced that they might close a substantial portion of its 80 Golf Galaxy stores over the next three years as the leases end.  Dicks had a 4.1% gain but GG dropped 9.3% Dicks also laid off 500PGA Pros from their stores. (Don't count on a good fitting)
I thought Dicks got rid of their PGA staff years ago?

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

39 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

What you are referring to was from 2014:

http://www.golfwrx.com/239847/dicks-sporting-goods-may-close-many-of-its-golf-galaxy-stores/

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Supply chain, supply chain, supply chain.  One of my customers is an extremely large grocery retailer.  My local store looks like it's going out of business.  Their suppliers can't keep them stocked.  I was at Ikea the other day, and they had no desk legs.  Desktops, but no desk legs.  Supply chain issues.  

Same thing with golf equipment.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 hours ago, storm319 said:

That was from 2014. Since then they have been doing what they said they would do regarding closing stores as leases ran out or rent increased. They closed Albany NY near my Dad, Brentwood MO near one of my usual business trips, Milwaukee, Madison, Memphis, Townson MD, and closed the corporate office and combined with Dick's. I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard about. I always look for golf stores on my business trips to kill some time in the evening. Sometimes a Top Golf. 

16 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That was from 2014. Since then they have been doing what they said they would do regarding closing stores as leases ran out or rent increased. They closed Albany NY near my Dad, Brentwood MO near one of my usual business trips, Milwaukee, Madison, Memphis, Townson MD, and closed the corporate office and combined with Dick's. I'm sure there are others that I haven't heard about. I always look for golf stores on my business trips to kill some time in the evening. Sometimes a Top Golf. 

Yes some stores have closed but they’ve actually had a net increase in total number of stores in the 6 years since that article was published.

Edited by storm319

I thought the increase was due to the rebranding of the Golfsmith stores. Thirty something if i remember right.

My local pro shop hasn't had a Titleist ball in stock for over almost 2 months. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

6 hours ago, pulledabill said:

My local pro shop hasn't had a Titleist ball in stock for over almost 2 months. 

That is likely more of an Achushnet capacity issue than a reflection of shop trouble.

9 hours ago, storm319 said:

That is likely more of an Achushnet capacity issue than a reflection of shop trouble.

Yep. Ball Plants 2 & 3 are ramping up as much as they can however they aren't running with the same amount of staff as they normally would in order to help promote physical distancing. They spent a lot of time trying to fill what they missed from March - May/June and are playing catch-up still at this point. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Id say its probably more of a Titleist issue than a GG issue.  The one here in Columbus has been out of Pro Vs lately but they have everything else.

Like someone else said, the global supply chain has taken a huge hit during COVID as companies that manufacture have had to implement lots of social distancing policies that have hurt their production.  I work for Honda here in Ohio on the factory floor and its a whole new world out there.

Another thing to remember with Titleist is that a signifigant portion of their Pro V1 production in Thailand and that their US ball plants were shut down for a while and as of June I don't think they had reopened yet, so Im sure theyre waaaaay behind on their yearly production.

Perhaps now is a great time if youre a Titleist ball loyalist to learn that theres just as many other balls out there that are just as good and maybe you don't really need to spend $50+ for a dozen golf balls. 😉  Just sayin'.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X