Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Sharpen Wedges?

Have any of you sharpened your wedges before? If so what did you use to do it? Is it legal according to the USGA?

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Look up Hifrom groove sharpener on Amazon. It's a six head hand tool with all the different groove forms. There are other manufacturers that make the same thing. Roughly 8 to 16 bucks. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Golfworks (and I'm sure others) offers a regrooving service using a proper milling machine for what appears to be $12.99/club currently. This would likely be your best bet as they actually will machine the grooves/surface and not just scratch new grooves. I believe this should keep the club USGA legal as well but you would have to ask them. It does note if you have chrome heads that they will need to be stripped and re-chromed which adds about $60 to the total cost and they add about $30 for refinishing stainless. 

The hand tools may work if you're just looking for a quick improvement but beware that you need to ensure you're using the right tip for you're grooves and you may make your club non-conforming if you shave away too much. You also run the risk of making your faces look like garbage. It's easy to pull the tool past the groove onto the flat face and make deep scratches at the end of the grooves. It's also easy to make your grooves look a little uneven as the tool is totally dependent on the user's dexterity. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, cciciora13 said:

Have any of you sharpened your wedges before? If so what did you use to do it? Is it legal according to the USGA?

I bought one of those sharpeners but it seems like Chinese junk. 

As long as you don't actually change the shape of the grooves then you are still legal. 

The sharpener really doesn't sharpen the grooves. It deburs the edges of flattened grooves that bent from being stuck repeatedly. 

I buy wedges from Golfworks so cheap that it is no big deal to just get new wedges instead of worrying about sharpening old ones.

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317/

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg