TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping G400 vs G410 - ability to hold greens?

Grit Golf

I’ve watched a few comparisons between the G410 and the outgoing G400, for most golfers, the 410 launches higher with less spin, which nets more carry yardage and more distance.

My question for anyone with experience with these two is this: for the average swing speed (say 85mph 7i) does one model hold greens better than the other? Assuming urethane balls (vice pro).

I can see the extra spin on the G400 being an edge in green holding, but I could also see steeper descent from a higher flight in the 410 countering it out? Edge to the 400 for anyone wanting to reduce a draw or fade, edge to 410 for anyone wanting a few extra yards carry?

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

I don't have personal experience with the two irons, but, for an average spin player, the ability to hold greens should be neglible between the two. Additionally, the G425 cycle should be coming out relatively soon, so it might be prudent to wait and compare with those.

:mizuno-small: ST 200 9.5°, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

:mizuno-small: ST 200 3w 15°, Diamana S+ 60 S

:srixon-small: Z H85 3h 19°, Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 6.0

:taylormade-small: P770 (2017) 4-PW, KBS Tour FLT 120 S

:vokey-small: SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.08M, KBS Tour S

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Fetch 34"

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

On 8/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, Grit Golf said:

I’ve watched a few comparisons between the G410 and the outgoing G400, for most golfers, the 410 launches higher with less spin, which nets more carry yardage and more distance.

My question for anyone with experience with these two is this: for the average swing speed (say 85mph 7i) does one model hold greens better than the other? Assuming urethane balls (vice pro).

I can see the extra spin on the G400 being an edge in green holding, but I could also see steeper descent from a higher flight in the 410 countering it out? Edge to the 400 for anyone wanting to reduce a draw or fade, edge to 410 for anyone wanting a few extra yards carry?

I played the 400's and 410's each for a season. There was no difference in the performance as far as holding greens. The G410's look better at address but the performance between the two irons is negligible. 

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

On 8/13/2020 at 7:13 AM, braincramp said:

I played the 400's and 410's each for a season. There was no difference in the performance as far as holding greens. The G410's look better at address but the performance between the two irons is negligible. 

That’s what I was hoping to hear, because the G400s W the stock AWTs are priced to move right now at Dicks/Golf Galaxy. It’s tempting me to jump on the 400s now before their gone!

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 7:13 AM, braincramp said:

I totally agree, I played the 400's for a season, then purchased the 410's. after a season with the 410's I can honestly say that I could see no difference in performance between them, except for as briancramp mentions, the 410's look better at address. I used the 400's as a travel set for a while, but have gone exclusively to the 410's. As for holding the greens, I was having issues with holding them when using the Bridgestone TourB RX, seems like I could hit the green, but it would release and roll off the back most every time. I switched to the Bridgestone TourB RXS, now when I hit the green from any distance the ball will actually back spin a couple of yards, which for my is much better, now I'm holding the greens instead of rolling off the back.

So as for the performance between the 400 and 410 I really didn't notice a difference. I didn't try the TourB RXS with the 400's but I suspect I would get the same results as the 410's.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

On 8/10/2020 at 5:43 PM, Grit Golf said:

My first (ever) iron fitting was with the G400's.  I also tested several other mfg./models and, while the numbers were better than my PE2's, I still wasn't moved to make the leap into new technology clubs. I subsequently had a second iron fitting as the G410's had been released and I was wanting to test those and the Mizuno JPX again.  Certainly much of how they perform for you will be associated with shaft selection.  For me, the G410's were about 12 yards longer carry than the G400's and had about 5 degrees lower launch angle (23.3 vs. 17.5). Backspin was 5400 vs. 5660 rpm respectively.  Mine are standard, not power spec loft.  I have no issues holding the majority of greens, but I tend to have pretty high ball flight.  My numbers with the G400's were with Project X LZ 5.5 and the G410's with the AWT 2.0.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)