Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Vokey Introduces New Black SM8 Wedges

Golfspy_CG2

FAIRHAVEN, Mass. (Aug. 11, 2020) – The unrivaled craftsmanship, performance and technology of Titleist Vokey Design SM8 wedges  the overwhelmingly most played wedges on the PGA Tour – will now be available in a tour-inspired all-black configuration.

This limited release features SM8’s Jet Black raw finish enhanced with black paint fill in the logos and graphics, complemented by a Dynamic Gold S200 Black Onyx shaft and exclusive Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Black/Gray grip with BV Wings. 

Cameron Smith, who won this year’s Sony Open playing all-black SM8’s, is among a group of tour players who prefer the Jet Black finish. (SM8 is also available in Tour Chrome, Brushed Steel and the tour-favorite Raw finish.)

“I’ve been stocking more and more Jet Black heads on the Tour Van each year,” said Vokey Tour Representative Aaron Dill. “Players love the look of it, and the contrast you get when you add custom stamping and paintfill – it just pops. Jet Black also helps players reduce glare on those really bright days. When you add in the black shaft and grip, it’s a sharp setup.” 

Limited Jet Black SM8 wedges are available in golf shops beginning Friday, Aug. 28, with all 23 loft, bounce and grind combinations (in both RH and LH) available through custom order or WedgeWorks on Vokey.com.

Vokey Black Wedge 1.jpg

SM8 TECHNOLOGY
Great wedge play comes from distance control, shot versatility and spin. SM8 improves performance in all three areas through the following key innovations: 

• Reimagined Progressive CG is pushed forward from the face for increased MOI (up to a +7% increase in the higher lofts) – producing improved distance and trajectory control, better feel and a club face that simply wants to square up at impact for more consistent results. To achieve this, Voke’s team lengthened the hosels and counterbalanced that weight with high-density tungsten low in the toe.

Vokey’s six Tour-Proven Sole Grinds – F, S, M, K, L and D – developed and refined through decades of work with the best shot makers in the game, allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type (steep, neutral, shallow), shot making style and course conditions (firm, neutral, soft).

• 100% Inspected Spin Milled Grooves are cut with a level of precision that is unique by finish, producing maximum spin and shot control. Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximize spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is applied to the impact area to double the durability of the groove without impacting feel – making it the most durable groove in golf.

Vokey_Black_2.jpg

VOKEY WEDGE SELECTOR
The Vokey Wedge Selector tool on Vokey.com helps golfers select the proper loft, bounce and grind options for their swing and course conditions. Vokey recommends that golfers visit their local Titleist fitter to confirm the results. LINK: https://www.vokey.com/tools/wedge-selector-tool.aspx.

ADVANCED PERSONALIZATION AND CUSTOM OPTIONS

SM8 wedges feature a more modern, clean look, which also provides a canvas for customization. Inspired by Aaron Dill (@VokeyWedgeRep), the WedgeWorks custom options are expanded to include:

• Six unique toe engravings;

Expanded stamping options, including 10-character Straight/Freestyle stamping and 15 characters around the toe; and
 Custom paint-filled Loft, Bounce and Grind markings and BV Wings logo.
SM8 wedges can also be custom ordered with an industry-leading selection of shafts, grips, shaft bands and ferrules. For a complete list of options, visit Vokey.com. 

AVAILABILITY

Limited Jet Black SM8 wedges are available for pre-order in golf shops worldwide and through Vokey.com beginning Aug. 11. They arrive in shops Aug. 28. MAP $179.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I saved my  "future" in the bag pic for here 🙂

Vokey Black 3.jpg

New taylormade wedges, new vokeys.....I am going to go bankrupt next year.

image.jpeg.afceeb5ae49d801ccd7b9cf96d539217.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

17 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

New taylormade wedges, new vokeys.....I am going to go bankrupt next year.

image.jpeg.afceeb5ae49d801ccd7b9cf96d539217.jpeg

The TM and Mizuno irons released yesterday, and another special set being announced tomorrow and I don't know what to do.   Has anyone every bought 4 sets within a month 😁

Yes, I said, four, meaning there is already a set in transit this week 😉

23 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The TM and Mizuno irons released yesterday, and another special set being announced tomorrow and I don't know what to do.   Has anyone every bought 4 sets within a month 😁

Yes, I said, four, meaning there is already a set in transit this week 😉

We should do a rental program on the site. Everyone pitch in for wedges and put them in rotation on course ....Like red box....for golf clubs....🤪

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Too much awesome right now.. I dont know which way to go.. .

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I’m getting fit for wedges in October: there’s so much to choose from I honestly don’t know what’ll in the bag next year...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• 2 months later...

I picked up this finish of the SM8, 52* before a golf trip in mid-September. So I have been playing these for about a month now.  Previously had a 52* SM6, Chrome.  

First off, love the black finish.  Even the way it is starting to wear off (or wear in, if you like that kinda thing) is good looking.  There is the assumption that it is a raw finish even though it is black, based on the sticker on the shaft saying "This wedge WILL rust."  

As far as improvements that I have seen, I think the spin is pretty much the same.  Contact seems much more consistent and forgiving, less clunky than the SM6. The biggest change I have noticed is on more full shots with higher swing speeds. This wedge has a tendency to really JUMP when you go at it. I usually top out around 100 yards with my 52*, just out of comfort.  I have had a few 100 yard shots I airmailed maybe 110.  Felt and looked great, and just kept flying.  I am not sure if it is extra spin, or its simply an extra jumpy wedge, but I have to consciously compensate for this when I am in that range.  Partial shots 80 and in are still very similar to the old version. 

Conclusion is that I love the black SM8 and it is making me think much harder about staying chrome on irons in the future. Black finish is definitely in the conversation now. 

Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9* Stock. 3-Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero, 15*. Hybrid: Sub70 949x Pro 19*. Irons: Taylormade rac LT 3-PW. Wedges: Vokey F-Grind 52*, 58*. Putter: Rife 2-Bar Blade Putter.  Pro V1