TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hybrid Launch Question

I have a Ping G400 19 degree 3 hybrid that I really do like- its a great club for distance as it gaps my 3 wood and my 4 hybrid well.

The only thing is that I hit it relatively low and it chases so It doesn't hold many greens should I need a 215-220 shot.  I do not have this problem with my 4 hybrid so I am wondering if it is my swing or just too little loft for me.  Does anyone have any tips for how to get a bit higher launch out of this club when going for a green? I usually just take a little off it and hope it runs up there- is this the strategy others employ as well?

Thanks in advance

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

I have a Ping G400 19 degree 3 hybrid that I really do like- its a great club for distance as it gaps my 3 wood and my 4 hybrid well.

The only thing is that I hit it relatively low and it chases so It doesn't hold many greens should I need a 215-220 shot.  I do not have this problem with my 4 hybrid so I am wondering if it is my swing or just too little loft for me.  Does anyone have any tips for how to get a bit higher launch out of this club when going for a green? I usually just take a little off it and hope it runs up there- is this the strategy others employ as well?

Thanks in advance

Holding greens with that club starts to get tough. You either need height or spin. Height is you most likely option. Dont know what you are willing to do but you could go to a fairway wood since they launch higher, play a fade into the green, or go with a lighter shaft.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Holding greens with that club starts to get tough. You either need height or spin. Height is you most likely option. Dont know what you are willing to do but you could go to a fairway wood since they launch higher, play a fade into the green, or go with a lighter shaft.

so woods launch higher than hybrids?

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

Yes, as a general rule, hybrids launch higher than irons and woods launch higher than hybrids.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Generally yes. Weight can be farther back and lower which will increase launch. Couple of videos on TXG doing some comparisons; I think the one below is the right one:

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It's likely a lack of clubhead speed that causes it to run after landing.  A 5 or 7 wood will give you the extra height resulting in stopping sooner after landing, and be a bit easier to hit to boot. Win-win. 🙂

I have reasonably high swing speed and I face the same situation as you with my GAPR mid 3 hybrid that I have delofted to the lowest setting.  It runs quite hot when it lands, so if I have long par 3's and it's a calm day I'll often ditch it for my 5 wood so it'll hold the greens.

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

So I had a similar issue several years ago when hybrids began gaining in popularity. First let me note, I have slower swing speed so through fitting, testing its a no brainer that I do better with a five wood at ~19 deg loft than a similar hybrid (which is shorter and most have a .370 parallel tip). Height and spin contribute greatly to holding a green. The lower loft hybrids that I can play, I actually built myself (Wishon models) because he designs with a .335 hosel/tip size. That according to Tom Wishon can contribute to almost +4 deg launch angle. So a good quality fitting where you get your launch, apex, descend angles along with spin will tell you if you are gaming the properly spec'd hybrid. Another factor that helped me start holding greens with a hybrid was learning how hit them, when they first came out most people played them very far forward in their stance like a wood. Today the teaching is to play them like you're hitting the iron they replace. That is how I  do it and can hold greens. My oldest son is 6'1 and plays a 19 deg hybrid forward but he has tons of swing speed and his swing arc is suitable to achieving necessary height/spin to hold a green. Everyone is different and needs to put time in practice and trying different brands.