TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Fan Career Grand Slam

Hoganman1

Do any of you have a career golf fan Grand Slam? Meaning have you attended at least one each of the four major championships. I've attended all but The Open. I've been to four US Opens (one at Oakland Hills in Michigan and three at Pinehurst here in NC). I've seen  three PGAs (one at Atlanta Athletic Club, one at Kiawah and one here in Charlotte at Quail Hollow). I've lost count of Masters I've attended but it's over 20. My first Masters was in 1970. It was relatively easy to get tickets up until the late 90s and Augusta is only three hours away. My future plans include another PGA next Spring at Kiawah and finally, The Open Championship at The Old Course in 2022. Let me know how many you have attended and if you think you'll ever get The Slam.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

My family and I have attended the Saturday round of the 2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits and a practice round of the 2017 US Open at Erin Hills. Don't have a lot of expectation of completing any more legs of the Fan Slam unless Kirke were to quality for Augusta through DCP some year, and that's obviously no sure thing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

1 hour ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

My family and I have attended the Saturday round of the 2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits and a practice round of the 2017 US Open at Erin Hills. Don't have a lot of expectation of completing any more legs of the Fan Slam unless Kirke were to quality for Augusta through DCP some year, and that's obviously no sure thing.

Practice rounds certainly count. Also, your geographic location makes it tougher to get to The Masters. I haven't been in five years. Back in the 70s and 80s you could show up at the gate Monday through Wednesday, give them five to ten bucks and you were in for the day. Tiger changed all that. Now there's a lottery every year. I got practice round tickets through the lottery every year for the first few years, but it's much harder now. Scalpers have a field day in that they can get almost whatever they  want for practice round tickets. Tournament tickets are very closely monitored and the committee really frowns on people selling their badges to scalpers.

Anyway, you have two majors and that qualifies you for my Golf Fan Hall of Fame. 

Edited by Hoganman1

34 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:
My apologies. I thought this post would "catch fire" and be a fun exercise. Obviously, I miscalculated. 

No reason to apologize; some threads just don’t work out like we expected. Geographic location is the main limitation and some people don’t want to travel to see other people play golf.

I travelled to see Augusta but the likelihood of my going to all the majors is pretty much zero. The chance if my traveling to Europe to specifically watch the BO is 0; if I am going I am playing.

The only other events I would possibly travel to would be Ryder and Solheim Cups. It would be great to be in that atmosphere to watch golf. That said, they would have to be held at a place that i would drive too. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It's a great question and interesting topic!  Thanks for starting it.

Me: I've only go the US Open-6 of them actually.  But no other Major.  I've had chances for the PGA but didn't make it.   Masters and Open Championship will be the tough ones to make it,

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm halfway having been to 3 PGA's and a US Open... Ryder Cup next year... Master's eventually

Also have a Senior & Women's US Open 

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

On 8/12/2020 at 12:01 PM, Jwhite86 said:

I'm halfway having been to 3 PGA's and a US Open... Ryder Cup next year... Master's eventually

Also have a Senior & Women's US Open 

As I've said before, two majors gets you into my imaginary Fan Hall of Fame. I hope you do make it to The Masters. It's really special and quite a different experience. My dream is to play there, but I'm 70; so that window may already be closed. I've actually played all the other courses that have hosted majors I've attended. Also, I was fortunate enough to play The Old Course where they'll host the 2022 Open Championship. As I said in my op, we've paid our first installment on attending at St. Andrews. Hopefully, it will happen as planned.

I am just now starting the journey. I secured tickets for Saturday and Sunday with some buddies to the PGA at Kiawah next year (hoping fans can attend). Looking forward to it. I don't have many connections with getting Masters tickets, been trying for a long time with the lottery, but have just been unsuccessful. Hope to make it to the US Open and Open Championship in the next 5 years.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

21 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I am just now starting the journey. I secured tickets for Saturday and Sunday with some buddies to the PGA at Kiawah next year (hoping fans can attend). Looking forward to it. I don't have many connections with getting Masters tickets, been trying for a long time with the lottery, but have just been unsuccessful. Hope to make it to the US Open and Open Championship in the next 5 years.

I hope you can make it to  a Masters, an Open Championship and a US Open too. Assuming I do in fact make it to St. Andrews in 2022 my Fan Slam will have taken 52 years to complete. Keep trying. Hopefully, your quest will go faster than mine. 

PS One of our assistant pros just got a head pro job in Birmingham. I'm not sure which club, but his name is Elliott Jones. He's a great guy and a good teacher.

5 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I hope you can make it to  a Masters, an Open Championship and a US Open too. Assuming I do in fact make it to St. Andrews in 2022 my Fan Slam will have taken 52 years to complete. Keep trying. Hopefully, your quest will go faster than mine. 

PS One of our assistant pros just got a head pro job in Birmingham. I'm not sure which club, but his name is Elliott Jones. He's a great guy and a good teacher.

I just looked him up, the country club he is the head pro at is about 10 minutes from my house. That's a good place to be at, he'll thrive there.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

On 8/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, Mtbryant01 said:

I just looked him up, the country club he is the head pro at is about 10 minutes from my house. That's a good place to be at, he'll thrive there.

It is a small world. Hope he does well. He's an East Carolina grad. I told him he was moving to Crimson Tide country and he might have to retire his ECU Pirate golf shirts.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:36 AM, Hoganman1 said:

My apologies. I thought this post would "catch fire" and be a fun exercise. Obviously, I miscalculated. 

This is a great thread - no need to apologize!  It's just a tough nut to crack. 🙂

I'm only just seeing it - I've been to two US Opens - Shinnecock in '86 "Is that really a par 4?" was my first thought when I got on the course and looked up the hill at 18 and Oakland Hills sometime in the mid-90's - "I'd have hit 5 there too, 5 wood," after watching VJ hit 5 iron onto the green on a 225 yard par 3.  I went to the PGA at Whistling, the first time that it was there, a practice round and the Saturday round.  That was an eye opener to me because it's when I really saw that tournament officials don't stick the tees all the way on the back every day of a tournament.  In fact, several holes, 1 and 10 stand out, never played close to their full length - what you would get if you decided to show up and play the tips.  I know that the tees were moved up on 11 the first day because there was a fear that most of the field would not be able to reach the fairway into a strong north wind (it never materialized and the course eneded up playing much easier than anticipated.)

So it's two for me - unlikely to be any more unless I get lucky on the Master's lottery. But I can't always enter that because many years the Master's falls on Easter or Palm Sunday - I'm a little busy on those days. 🙂 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 8/11/2020 at 10:35 AM, Hoganman1 said:

Do any of you have a career golf fan Grand Slam? Meaning have you attended at least one each of the four major championships. I've attended all but The Open. I've been to four US Opens (one at Oakland Hills in Michigan and three at Pinehurst here in NC). I've seen  three PGAs (one at Atlanta Athletic Club, one at Kiawah and one here in Charlotte at Quail Hollow). I've lost count of Masters I've attended but it's over 20. My first Masters was in 1970. It was relatively easy to get tickets up until the late 90s and Augusta is only three hours away. My future plans include another PGA next Spring at Kiawah and finally, The Open Championship at The Old Course in 2022. Let me know how many you have attended and if you think you'll ever get The Slam.

My Majors attendance is current at 0, I do hope to start attending majors sooner than later.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I've been to only two different majors (if we count Seniors events), but I HAVE been to 4 different US Opens, each time as a volunteer.  The first was 1997 at Congressional, and then '99, '05, and '14 at Pinehurst.  The Senior US Open was 1995, also at Congressional.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

20 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I've been to only two different majors (if we count Seniors events), but I HAVE been to 4 different US Opens, each time as a volunteer.  The first was 1997 at Congressional, and then '99, '05, and '14 at Pinehurst.  The Senior US Open was 1995, also at Congressional.  

Oh well if we are going there I have been to a Senior Open and a Women's open!!! 🙂

Did you get to play any of those course because of your volunteerism?  I volunteered at Whistling and although I didn't get to play the Straits course (I have played it but not for that reason) I got multiple rounds at its sister and cousin courses, the Irish and Black Wolf Run - I love Black Wolf and would do about anything to play there including even pay. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

28 minutes ago, revkev said:

Oh well if we are going there I have been to a Senior Open and a Women's open!!! 🙂

Did you get to play any of those course because of your volunteerism?  I volunteered at Whistling and although I didn't get to play the Straits course (I have played it but not for that reason) I got multiple rounds at its sister and cousin courses, the Irish and Black Wolf Run - I love Black Wolf and would do about anything to play there including even pay. 🙂

No, playing the courses was never mentioned, and I didn't expect it.  As I remember it, there was close to 10,000 volunteers for each of the US Opens, I have a feeling that offering golf to all of them would simply be impossible, especially at a private club like Congressional.  I have played both courses, as a guest for a Member-Guest at Congressional, and a number of times as a paying customer at #2.  But based on your experience with the PGA, I'll have to keep my ears open if that comes to my neighborhood.

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

No, playing the courses was never mentioned, and I didn't expect it.  As I remember it, there was close to 10,000 volunteers for each of the US Opens, I have a feeling that offering golf to all of them would simply be impossible, especially at a private club like Congressional.  I have played both courses, as a guest for a Member-Guest at Congressional, and a number of times as a paying customer at #2.  But based on your experience with the PGA, I'll have to keep my ears open if that comes to my neighborhood.

It was incredible but do remember that Kohler has 4 courses so the incentives could be juiced.  I can't quite recall what it was supposed to be for my friends who were working the Ryder Cup - I think similar though - as I recall it was a foursome at any Kohler Course (except the Straits) for every shift worked and I worked three - my job was to taxi people from offsite parking to the course.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches