Jump to content

Bowed Wrists


Recommended Posts

Has anyone here had success with bowed wrists, in the spirit of DJ and Collin Morikawa?

After cleaning up some fundamental setup issues, I am leaving the face open quite often. Based on previous instruction, there needs to be some amount of flexion to shallow the club in transition. For me, it seems to make sense to bow earlier and hold it through the swing. Seems like less room for error with timing. 

 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Has anyone here had success with bowed wrists, in the spirit of DJ and Collin Morikawa?

After cleaning up some fundamental setup issues, I am leaving the face open quite often. Based on previous instruction, there needs to be some amount of flexion to shallow the club in transition. For me, it seems to make sense to bow earlier and hold it through the swing. Seems like less room for error with timing. 

Less room for error than what?  I remember seeing in a Monte video that in transition it didn't really matter much where the wrists were at the top of the backswing, as long as they flexed a little in the downswing.  Obviously, a flatter wrist is better but it should still flex a little to shallow the club.  

I think you need to do it early at the top because once you start the downswing, the swing pretty much is dictated by what you did in setup, backswing and transition.  There is no "hold it" through the swing... that just happens.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Less room for error than what?  I remember seeing in a Monte video that in transition it didn't really matter much where the wrists were at the top of the backswing, as long as they flexed a little in the downswing.  Obviously, a flatter wrist is better but it should still flex a little to shallow the club.  

I think you need to do it early at the top because once you start the downswing, the swing pretty much is dictated by what you did in setup, backswing and transition.  There is no "hold it" through the swing... that just happens.

I guess i mean less room for error than being cupped at the top. I used to have a really strong right hand grip with cupped wrists at the top but a closed face and that was a disaster (at least for me).

Now with a more neutral grip, I find I am leaving the face too open at times, which causes a push with irons and a push fade or even a push slice once in a while with the driver.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, cupped is the worst; takes longer to flatten the wrists in transition.

I fought that for awhile; produced a weak fade shot.  Overemphasizing the shallowing of the club in slo-mo practice helps; you don't really get that shallow in a regular swing.  I still have to work at it.  I also have a tendency to pull the club to the inside on the backswing, which promoted cupping at the top for me.  I do better when I focus on keeping the club in front of me as I rotate; puts the wrists in a better position, then flex a little when starting down.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a lesson last summer and my instructor recommended I try to add a bit more flexion. I think it reached a point where I was overdoing it and I've since stopped focusing on it as much. I think practicing it has helped me to flatten the wrist a touch more naturally and I'm pretty happy with my position at the top right now. It's certainly much better than it used to be.

Like you, I tried to add that extra bit of flexion as early as I could to protect against timing issues and such. If you notice the way DJ takes the club back you can see he starts to set the wrists almost immediately.

 

 

 

One thing I've done in the past to sort of mimic this is to actually push the hands forward prior to starting the backswing just like a lot of guys do with their putting stroke. It works okay, but for whatever reason I struggle to pull it off without speeding up my tempo which can cause all sorts of other problems. 

  • Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I did a lesson last summer and my instructor recommended I try to add a bit more flexion. I think it reached a point where I was overdoing it and I've since stopped focusing on it as much. I think practicing it has helped me to flatten the wrist a touch more naturally and I'm pretty happy with my position at the top right now. It's certainly much better than it used to be.

Like you, I tried to add that extra bit of flexion as early as I could to protect against timing issues and such. If you notice the way DJ takes the club back you can see he starts to set the wrists almost immediately.

 

 

 

One thing I've done in the past to sort of mimic this is to actually push the hands forward prior to starting the backswing just like a lot of guys do with their putting stroke. It works okay, but for whatever reason I struggle to pull it off without speeding up my tempo which can cause all sorts of other problems. 

Yeah, I am concerned about overdoing it. However, with a few practice swings without a ball, I do notice that unless I try to overexaggerate, when I try to bow, my wrists actually end up in a fairly flat, nice position. 

I used to be a big cupper at the top, but with a closed face at the top. I am not even sure how that is possible..., but glad that is mostly gone.

  • Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rather than something you set and leave bowed throughout the swing I think of it as something best done a small amount from the top to help get the face squaring earlier.

Mavrik 9* Driver / Mavrik 15* 3W / Callaway Razr Fit 18* 5W (stiff graphite, standard)

Callaway X2hot pro 2 hybrid, Taylormade GAPR High 4 (stiff graphite, standard)

Sub 70  699/Pro combo 5 - PW (stiff graphite, standard length, 1 deg upright lie)

Cleveland CBX2 50* & 54* / Ping Glide 2.0 60*

Odysee Triple Track 10 Putter / Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Martin Chuck did a video somewhere that shows most tour golfers get lead wrist flexion (bow) somewhere in the downswing, and the bowed wrist at the top does mean less club face movement throughout the swing. I think the one thing about having a bowed wrist at the top is you have to rotate hard, especially if you want to fade the ball at all, so it not necessarily as simple as bowing your wrist at the top of your swing.  Obviously its best to work with a swing coach unless you're incredibly knowledge about the golf swing and how to make changes successfully.

Driver :     :cobra-small: F7 - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

3w:           :cobra-small:  F7 Fairway - Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 75g

Hybrid:     :cobra-small: F6 Hybrid - KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 95g X-Stiff

Irons:       :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged (4,5) JPX 900 Tour (6-P) KBS C-Taper 130 (Softstepped)

Wedes:         :titelist-small: SM7 52* F Grind, 56* M Gind (KBS C-Taper 125), 60* S Grind

Putter:   :cameron-small: Futura X7M

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to have a terrible cupped wrist.  During a lesson, the instructor described the feeling  I needed to have as twisting a screwdriver.  It felt a lot like I had a bowed wrist, but in reality it really was flat, which was the result I was looking for.  

  • :taylormade-small: M3 driver
  • :ping-small: G425 3 wood
  • :cobra-small: F-max 5 wood
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :bridgestone-small:e12 soft golf balls
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 8/17/2020 at 7:31 PM, Shankdog said:

I used to have a terrible cupped wrist.  During a lesson, the instructor described the feeling  I needed to have as twisting a screwdriver.  It felt a lot like I had a bowed wrist, but in reality it really was flat, which was the result I was looking for.  

Thank you for this...we were working out my angle of attack and shallowing out to correct my block. Couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t close that face on instruction until I read your post. Twist that screw driver!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe it would be a good idea to define what a bowed wrist is first. 

For example:

1. I could just flex and extend my wrists back and forth like the video below.

Arm Muscles: 27 Wrist Flexion and Extension - YouTube

2.  I could radial and ulnar deviate my wrists like below

Supination vs Pronation, Radial vs Ulnar Deviation of the Hand - YouTube

3. Circumduction movements of the wrists where there is a mix of point 1 and Point 2  happening simultaneously .

OrthoIndy Exercises | Supported Wrist Circumduction - YouTube

The question we must ask is what net effect does the doing of 1 /2/3  (at different positions in the golf swing) have on the clubface as it approaches impact.

As far as I am aware there are different geometrical effects on the closure of the clubface at impact  depending on when points 1 ,2, 3  might happen during the swing.

There is an article below that goes into great detail but be warned this is incredibly non-intuitive and might make your brain spin but it isn't as 'cut and dry' as one might imagine.

What effect does lead wrist bowi (perfectgolfswingreview.net)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Wildthing said:

As far as I am aware there are different geometrical effects on the closure of the clubface at impact  depending on when points 1 ,2, 3  might happen during the swing.

The amount one does the the 3 especially bowing of the wrists the person has to matchup the body to what the wrists is doing. As an example if someone tried to bow like DJ but didn’t have the same body rotation and holding off of the club like he does they are going to have bad contact. 
 

GG dives into this a lot in his online course. Brooks has a different amount and has different swing and release but what he does all marches up to his swing. 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good video and idea using the golf tee in the glove.  I had to chuckle though when he said "....current world #1 Jordan Speith".... umm, maybe I don't want to emulate this 🤣.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Good video and idea using the golf tee in the glove.  I had to chuckle though when he said "....current world #1 Jordan Speith".... umm, maybe I don't want to emulate this 🤣.

Isn't it amazing the spiral downwards he has been on the past 3-4 years?! Hoping to see him compete at a high level this year.

Edited by stephenmatt
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...