Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shaft flex through your bag

CoCoRover

I recently bought new irons, and was fitted for the first time. They have stiff flex shafts, would this indicate that my driver (and other clubs) should be stiff too? 

I would say no. All shafts have bend profiles that control how the load and unloads and bends during the swing. Also there is no standard between manufacturers. One companies stiff is another’s regular.
Based on the clubs you select and how you swing the other clubs you may find you need a shaft that is labeled with a different flex.
Also, when you get to wedges some people like to go down in flex since they primarily take partial swings.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There are no absolutes.  If you talk to a good fitter, they would often say weight is more important than stiffness.

That being said, it is not uncommon for people to play the same flex throughout the bag.  But again, it is not uncommon for someone to play xstiff in the driver and 3w and stiff throughout the rest of the bag.

As @cnosil said there is no universal system for flex or bend profile, and it is why fitting for each component is ideal.  

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to book a lesson/ fitting for my driver and see if I can get straighten out! I’ve been hitting farther than ever this year, but also high hooks come out of nowhere and ruin my confidence and round. 

Cocorover 

You've got the jest of it - my pro in Wisconsin would actually play X in driver and R in 3 wood (he wanted a higher ball flight).  In the end the lack of an industry standard makes generalization impossible. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Echoing what some of our most knowledgeable forum members have already stated but, in answer to your question, no.  My driver, 3w and 5w are stiff but my irons are R-flex. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 hours ago, revkev said:

You've got the jest of it - my pro in Wisconsin would actually play X in driver and R in 3 wood (he wanted a higher ball flight).  In the end the lack of an industry standard makes generalization impossible. 

I basically do the same thing... TX in the driver, and regular flex in my hybrids... allows me to really get them up in the air so I'm able to hold greens

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Taylor Made 300 Mini 11.5º w/ Fuji Ventus TR Red

Hybrids: Callaway Super Hybrid 17º w/ Tensei Orange

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard or Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil

Irons (6-43º): Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º SM8, 60º Tour Issued Hand Ground Vokey

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

On top of the other comments, not everyone has the same gap in swingspeed between their driver & fwy woods and their irons.  They should be treated individually when making shaft selections.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I am X flex and I was fitted for X in the driver. I bought wood, hybrid, and irons in X thereafter. The wedges are the Wedge flex DG makes.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have JPX825 irons in Reg, G400 Crossover in Stiff and G25 Driver in Stiff. I'm currently looking for a Reg Ping G25 shaft to put in my driver

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter

No, shaft flex (i.e. the letter designation of R, S, X, etc) has no real meaning from company to company or really between irons and drivers.  Like being fit for your irons, you should also be fit for your driver and fairway metals/hybrids.  My driver is rated stiff, yet all other clubs in my bag carry a regular rating.  Find what works for you.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 8/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, jlukes said:

There are no absolutes.  If you talk to a good fitter, they would often say weight is more important than stiffness.

That being said, it is not uncommon for people to play the same flex throughout the bag.  But again, it is not uncommon for someone to play xstiff in the driver and 3w and stiff throughout the rest of the bag.

As @cnosil said there is no universal system for flex or bend profile, and it is why fitting for each component is ideal.  

This is exactly what I was going to say about the driver and 3w section. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 5:09 AM, CoCoRover said:

I recently bought new irons, and was fitted for the first time. They have stiff flex shafts, would this indicate that my driver (and other clubs) should be stiff too? 

The short answer: it could be your flex for your whole set without issue. 

However, as others have said, flex is not universal and may vary on club type. 

The long answer: I play 3 flexes in my set. A college player I know swings driver at 125-130mph (360 yard drives) which is X-stiff but, plays stiff in his irons. 

My driver, woods, hybrid, irons, and Sand wedge are all stiff flex. My driving iron is X-stiff. My lob wedge is regular flex. 

I could easily game any club in stiff flex. X stiff can feel boardy at times. Regular I could play but I could balloon a few shots. 

The correct flex helps transfer accelerating energy through the ball. Too stiff won't load properly and too light will stay flexed through impact. (Very general statements for examples)

I like less than full swing clubs to be soft=lob wedge with a reg flex. 

I went X-stiff in my driving iron, and toyed with it in my 3 wood, to get more control and tighter dispersion=worked out well. 

I hope that helps to understand parts of what might go into why people might have different flexes in their set. There are many, many more variables so, this is only a piece. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg