Shaft flex through your bag

Our Sponsors

I recently bought new irons, and was fitted for the first time. They have stiff flex shafts, would this indicate that my driver (and other clubs) should be stiff too? 

Cocorover 

I recently bought new irons, and was fitted for the first time. They have stiff flex shafts, would this indicate that my driver (and other clubs) should be stiff too? 

I would say no. All shafts have bend profiles that control how the load and unloads and bends during the swing. Also there is no standard between manufacturers. One companies stiff is another’s regular.
Based on the clubs you select and how you swing the other clubs you may find you need a shaft that is labeled with a different flex.
Also, when you get to wedges some people like to go down in flex since they primarily take partial swings.
  • Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There are no absolutes.  If you talk to a good fitter, they would often say weight is more important than stiffness.

That being said, it is not uncommon for people to play the same flex throughout the bag.  But again, it is not uncommon for someone to play xstiff in the driver and 3w and stiff throughout the rest of the bag.

As @cnosil said there is no universal system for flex or bend profile, and it is why fitting for each component is ideal.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to book a lesson/ fitting for my driver and see if I can get straighten out! I’ve been hitting farther than ever this year, but also high hooks come out of nowhere and ruin my confidence and round. 

Cocorover 

You've got the jest of it - my pro in Wisconsin would actually play X in driver and R in 3 wood (he wanted a higher ball flight).  In the end the lack of an industry standard makes generalization impossible. 

• Like 4

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Echoing what some of our most knowledgeable forum members have already stated but, in answer to your question, no.  My driver, 3w and 5w are stiff but my irons are R-flex. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

2 hours ago, revkev said:

You've got the jest of it - my pro in Wisconsin would actually play X in driver and R in 3 wood (he wanted a higher ball flight).  In the end the lack of an industry standard makes generalization impossible. 

I basically do the same thing... TX in the driver, and regular flex in my hybrids... allows me to really get them up in the air so I'm able to hold greens

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

On top of the other comments, not everyone has the same gap in swingspeed between their driver & fwy woods and their irons.  They should be treated individually when making shaft selections.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

I have JPX825 irons in Reg, G400 Crossover in Stiff and G25 Driver in Stiff. I'm currently looking for a Reg Ping G25 shaft to put in my driver

Mizuno JPX 825 4-G

Ping G25 Driver

Ping G400 Crossover 19*

Seemore Putter

No, shaft flex (i.e. the letter designation of R, S, X, etc) has no real meaning from company to company or really between irons and drivers.  Like being fit for your irons, you should also be fit for your driver and fairway metals/hybrids.  My driver is rated stiff, yet all other clubs in my bag carry a regular rating.  Find what works for you.

• Like 4

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 8/12/2020 at 8:50 AM, jlukes said:

There are no absolutes.  If you talk to a good fitter, they would often say weight is more important than stiffness.

That being said, it is not uncommon for people to play the same flex throughout the bag.  But again, it is not uncommon for someone to play xstiff in the driver and 3w and stiff throughout the rest of the bag.

As @cnosil said there is no universal system for flex or bend profile, and it is why fitting for each component is ideal.  

This is exactly what I was going to say about the driver and 3w section. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 5:09 AM, CoCoRover said:

The short answer: it could be your flex for your whole set without issue. 

However, as others have said, flex is not universal and may vary on club type. 

The long answer: I play 3 flexes in my set. A college player I know swings driver at 125-130mph (360 yard drives) which is X-stiff but, plays stiff in his irons. 

My driver, woods, hybrid, irons, and Sand wedge are all stiff flex. My driving iron is X-stiff. My lob wedge is regular flex. 

I could easily game any club in stiff flex. X stiff can feel boardy at times. Regular I could play but I could balloon a few shots. 

The correct flex helps transfer accelerating energy through the ball. Too stiff won't load properly and too light will stay flexed through impact. (Very general statements for examples)

I like less than full swing clubs to be soft=lob wedge with a reg flex. 

I went X-stiff in my driving iron, and toyed with it in my 3 wood, to get more control and tighter dispersion=worked out well. 

I hope that helps to understand parts of what might go into why people might have different flexes in their set. There are many, many more variables so, this is only a piece. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg