Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Constantly Pulling Driver Left! HELP!!!

Always straight left? Is there any curvature?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Aim righter

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

22 minutes ago, Wally-Wally said:

I consistently pull my driver shots way left. Straight left. I think I am swinging across and coming too out to in.  What are some good drills or tips to stop doing so. Thanks!

Setup more to the right

Put a board outside the line and avoid hitting it to swing more inside out.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

39 minutes ago, Wally-Wally said:

Almost always straight or curves more left

The ball starts where your clubface is aimed, and curves away from the path.  A straight pull means out-to-in path, and clubface square to that path (left of target, just like the path).  Starts left and curves left means clubface pointing left at impact, and path going somewhere to the right of the face (path could still be left of target, just less left than the clubface).  Based on what you describe, you're coming out-to-in, and occasionally closing the clubface too far.

But we have no way of knowing how you've produced that impact, we its impossible for us to help.  Impact is a product of your set-up and grip, your backswing, and your forward swing, there are a million reasons you might be hitting that shot.  If you want a band-aid, or want to try the shotgun approach, listen to advice from random people who have never seen your swing, or research on Youtube and try each of the potential (often contradictory) fixes you can find.  If you'd actually like a real diagnosis, see a good instructor, either someone who does remote analysis via video of your swing, or in person.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

When I am hitting driver well it's generally a straight flight, but I pull it.  Rather than going through a long process of fixing or rebuilding a swing, I now just aim farther right on my setup and usually pull it down the middle (if I'm playing well).  It's by far the easiest fix if you are overall happy with the ball flight, just not the direction.  And if it's pretty consistent.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

6 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

When I am hitting driver well it's generally a straight flight, but I pull it.  Rather than going through a long process of fixing or rebuilding a swing, I now just aim farther right on my setup and usually pull it down the middle (if I'm playing well).  It's by far the easiest fix if you are overall happy with the ball flight, just not the direction.  And if it's pretty consistent.

This is the opposite approach to what I recommended, but its pretty good advice.  Is it consistent, do you hit it far enough?  If you can live with it, play it, just learn how to set up so that you hit it where you want to.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I recently had this same issue after hitting dead straight.  The answer is, it is complicated, but came down to biomechanics.  Do you hit everything straight left all the way down to your lowest wedge?  If the answer is yes, you have early extension contributing.  If you are saying you hit out to in, I assume you can see the club face in your practice swings and hits pointing left.  At least I could.  Another contributing issue is, you start the downswing from the top down meaning you rotate your shoulders first instead of your hips (hence you come across your body and likely are losing power as well).  Another contributing issue is hips slide or stop rotating in your swing (I believe the technical term for this is not clearing your hips).  Basically this means start your down swing with the hips and keep rotating while feeling like you are throwing your arms away from your body at or right before impact the ball.  If you rotate your shoulder first you will like not generate the proper hip rotation around your spine.  Finally, if you release too early this will promote coming too close to your body (and pulling the ball dead left or slight curvature depending on how many other faults you have above).  These faults generally require a more neutral grip and neutral left wrist at the transition.  Though my wrist can be slightly cupped and grip can get a little strong, but I can produce  straight flight from either scenario.

For a hips drill, I have seen people say, to pull your right foot backwards to feel the sensation of the hips turning vs sliding.  You may also want to make sure you are slightly tilted away from your target vs having your shoulders parallel to the ground.  This will also promote fixing some of the faults above naturally.

Maybe these will work for you maybe not, but as Dave eludes to, the more you know about your biomechanical motions the easier it is to find a solution.