TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball Fitting

For anyone in the forums that has gotten a ball fitting, where have you done so?  MGS does say it is the future

(Background: Currently playing a Z-Star, wondering if I am more suited to the Z-Star XV... or any other brand for that matter!)

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

19 minutes ago, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

For anyone in the forums that has gotten a ball fitting, where have you done so?  MGS does say it is the future

(Background: Currently playing a Z-Star, wondering if I am more suited to the Z-Star XV... or any other brand for that matter!)

Not sure if this helps, but here's some advice from a golf ball designer:

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

Obviously he's also selling his golf balls, but I still think the advice has merit.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Not sure if this helps, but here's some advice from a golf ball designer:

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

Obviously he's also selling his golf balls, but I still think the advice has merit.

He is spot on.

Top fitters like True Spec and TXG say start at the green and work backwards.  Driver is the last thing one should worry about when ball fitting.

I get Bridgestone is in the leader in ball fitting - but the fact that they due it based on driver data is a head scratcher.  I guess it is a lot easier for marketing to sell a ball by driver swing speed than telling a golfer to go chip, putt and hit approach shots with a ball to see what they like best.

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

He is spot on.

Top fitters like True Spec and TXG say start at the green and work backwards.  Driver is the last thing one should worry about when ball fitting.

I get Bridgestone is in the leader in ball fitting - but the fact that they due it based on driver data is a head scratcher.  I guess it is a lot easier for marketing to sell a ball by driver swing speed than telling a golfer to go chip, putt and hit approach shots with a ball to see what they like best.

We talk about it all the time here, distance is a selling point for balls, for drivers, for irons,, for tees even, pretty much for all golf equipment.  Bridgestone is the first ball manufacturer I remember to advertise ball fitting, and in my mind it was just a marketing gimmick they concocted.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 8/12/2020 at 11:49 AM, Zimbo Slice 12 said:

I have done a ball fitting at PGA tour superstore: they didn’t have me hit driver, they looked at wedge and 7 iron spin, and dispersion. For me chromesoft won out, but that was 2 years ago and I’ve moved on to Srixon. But I’ve been in the same boat as you: wondering which Z star is better for my game.

I swing the driver at 118 but I’m all over the face: the last thing I need is a spinny ball to increase the fade spin I already put on it! The XV is longer, and for me has a higher trajectory - and tends to balloon on me on poorly struck drives, which is damn near half of the time for me. I go with the Z star over the XV due to not wanting the added length, and not being able to keep my wedge shots low with the XV. Both have great green side spin and control. I really like the Bridgestone Tour B and BXS also: problem is I like the X off the tee and the XS everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Bridgestone had a fitting day at a local course. They asked what ball I played, I said Pro V (which if I had the scratch was 100% true) Anyways guy had me hit some drives, then had me hit a couple different Bridgestones, though after looking at the moniter he kind of shrugged. He recommended the B330, the black box, so it was a few years back. But on the numbers the Pro V was the better ball, his point being that a firm tour ball was the right choice for me. I play the Z star now and I am still in the same line of thinking.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Most recent ball fitting was at my club - they have a Titleist fitter in every spring.  I also had a ball fitting at the Tour Performance Center at TPC Sawgrass a number of years ago.  Always the same thing - firm tour ball.

I gleaned more about my swing from the ball fitting that I had three years ago than at any club fitting other than the one at TPC BTW.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, jlukes said:

Double head-scratcher since their Tour B line performs SO well around the green. (Then again, it's hard to tell for whom they're really targeting their fitting efforts. My hunch would be recreational golfers who don't spend 4+ hours researching cover materials and multi-layer construction and just want a ball that goes high, far, and straight and feels like mashed potatoes.)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

TGW (golf warehouse not TXG) did test these 4. The guy swings 100 mph driver, so more relatable to us mortals than Matt Blois. He ended up performing the best with the Tour BX. Interesting product video as he even compared to last year’s model, which the difference was slight

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter