Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 USGA Men's Amateur

fixyurdivot

Golf Title  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Money aside, which title would you rather have?

• PGA Major Event
    • US Amateur Champion

Anyone else watching the 2020 US Amateur Event at Bandon Dunes?  I watched some replay of Day 1's event and there is some spectacular golf being played!  That links style course looks really fun but would be a big change for most of us - like playing St. Andrews.  The roll out on the fairways is crazy.  One could really boost some club distance averages there. It's hard to imagine this sport in any sense of a "dying mode".  Man, there is a huge cache of really good players in the field and I'd bet the place would be packed with patrons were it not for the pandemic.  

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2020/u-s--amateur.html#!latest

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I may just have to splurge and give this place a try.  20 mph sustained with gusts to 30 and these players are still making it look easy.  

image.png.98a135b3b9560267a45ecb4d7690bd82.png

S.Oliva Pinto's caddie steps into a trap, tests the odd sand condition, loss of hole, match over... yikes 😬.  

That was hard to watch. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

How to never get another caddie gig on a high level bag 101

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I may just have to splurge and give this place a try.  20 mph sustained with gusts to 30 and these players are still making it look easy.  

image.png.98a135b3b9560267a45ecb4d7690bd82.png

If you watch the forecast and plan well, you can get the same temps and no wind on the Oregon Coast in the winter.  Rates are more affordable too.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Tough scene!  You hate to see it.  I would always prefer to see the players decide the match, not the bonehead decisions of a caddie. 

Given the caddie is a local, does he have the balls to walk back into the Bandon caddie shack after this?  Does Mike Keiser fire him for this embarrassment?  Especially considering the guy lied about touching the sand and has since, doubled down on the lie!?!?!

Tyler Strafaci won the North & South Amateur last month in Pinehurst.  He's been on a heater all summer.

Edit to add:  Strafaci's dad didn't come away from the broadcast looking very good either.  He should have stayed back, observed and allowed the officials to do their jobs rather than pace back in forth in an animated manner mouthing off like he did.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Tough scene!  You hate to see it.  I would always prefer to see the players decide the match, not the bonehead decisions of a caddie. 

Given the caddie is a local, does he have the balls to walk back into the Bandon caddie shack after this?  Does Mike Keiser fire him for this embarrassment?  Especially considering the guy lied about touching the sand and has since, doubled down on the lie!?!?!

Tyler Strafaci won the North & South Amateur last month in Pinehurst.  He's been on a heater all summer.

Edit to add:  Strafaci's dad didn't come away from the broadcast looking very good either.  He should have stayed back, observed and allowed the officials to do their jobs rather than pace back in forth in an animated manner mouthing off like he did.

Well doubling down on not touching the sand is an effort to save his job at BD.  But in the overhead shot you can clearly see the color of the sand change from light to darker where he brushed it and then a later close up clearly shows the brush marks as well.  As a caddie at the resort, maybe this is a regular practice for him when he's caddying for guests (it shouldn't be) and he just lost situational awareness for a moment.  A shame for everyone involved.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Yea, what an unfortunate situation.  They are televising the overhead shots of him hand raking the sand at the same time you hear him telling the official he did not touch the sand (or wasn't doing so for the purpose of gaining information).  This will certainly be the focus of caddie staff meetings around the globe.

51 minutes ago, mcavoy said:

Well doubling down on not touching the sand is an effort to save his job at BD.  But in the overhead shot you can clearly see the color of the sand change from light to darker where he brushed it and then a later close up clearly shows the brush marks as well.  As a caddie at the resort, maybe this is a regular practice for him when he's caddying for guests (it shouldn't be) and he just lost situational awareness for a moment.  A shame for everyone involved.

I'm sure saving his job was a factor, without question.  I would like to believe he was riding hard for his player.  Realized he screwed up but was going to go down fighting to keep his guy in the match.  But I doubt the later had as much of an influence as the former!

48 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yea, what an unfortunate situation.  They are televising the overhead shots of him hand raking the sand at the same time you hear him telling the official he did not touch the sand (or wasn't doing so for the purpose of gaining information).  This will certainly be the focus of caddie staff meetings around the globe.

If I were a caddie master, I would be showing the video on a running loop in the shack for the foreseeable future.

What a great pair of semi-final matches.  Aman Gupta clawing his way out of a down 4 caravan to tie it up on the 18th....and Strafaci just snap hooked into the deep fescue.  Ollie Osborne will play one of them... I like this kid!

OMG,,, Gupta thins two successive mid iron sand trap shots into the lip,,, crazy and kind of tough way to finish.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

What a great pair of semi-final matches.  Aman Gupta clawing his way out of a down 4 caravan to tie it up on the 18th....and Strafaci just snap hooked into the deep fescue.  Ollie Osborne will play one of them... I like this kid!

OMG,,, Gupta thins two successive mid iron sand trap shots into the lip,,, crazy and kind of tough way to finish.

Hard to watch.  I've seen those bunker shots before... just a few weeks ago!  🙄

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Hard to watch.  I've seen those bunker shots before... just a few weeks ago!  🙄

Strafaci will have some crazy memories about the 18th hole.

Yep, Been watching it all week.  Love  the action and the sceneery.

What hurts most is I had a trip planned in October with Titleist to play Bandon Dunes and the Sheep Ranch and have had to cancel it.  This is like rubbing salt in the wound..ha

On 8/14/2020 at 7:55 AM, sixcat said:

I agree for the most part. i think  he should have made hs intial comment to the official then just them sort it out from there. 

Also kind of the same wit Brisbane's dad, when he was assessed a penality yesterday for the ball moving after he began his takeaway.  The offiical--Ivan Lendel's daughter by the way----did a great job of explaning it to him.  it doesn't mattter how far away his club was in the backswing when it moved, if his initial actions caused it.  Which it apprantely did.  TV view was knd of blurry. 

I think this is the danger of having fathers as caddies, they are too emotonally involved to remain calm and understand where their place is.  You can go all the way back to Matt Kuchar's father during his rounds at Augusta when Kuchar played as an Amatuer.  He was a distaction to the other caddies and playes, and wasnt following protocol in several instanes. 

Should be a good match.  I'll be happy for either kid to win,. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Strafaci and Osborne are having a great duel.  Hard to pick a favorite here; cool backstories with each of them. Ollie's smile and the brownie sundae might be the tie breaker though.  These events are a complete grind and I would argue more challenging than any 4 day professional event.  

Hard to beat a red hot putter.  Wow, huge putt on #12 (hole #30). Tyler Strafaci hitting them from everywhere. If he ends up winning, his Scotty Cameron 009M was the difference.  You can have one for a few shekels 🙂.

image.png.be264ccb4f6dd1159a80da0feb98e697.png

Man Strafaci BIP the last two holes. 

Heading to 18 All Tied.  Hes been here a few times this week. 

Oh man!! What a shot.  Advantage Strafaci!

Really cannot plan a better finish. Why didn't Tyler take a drop from the red

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Oh man!! What a shot.  Advantage Strafaci!

Clutch.  Curious why he didn't take a drop from the red stake when he over shot the green?  No place within a club length from point of entry no closer to the hole?

Great event, congratulations to Tyler!  Pretty amazing to add your name 85 years after your grandfather.

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Really cannot plan a better finish. Why didn't Tyler take a drop from the red

Clutch.  Curious why he didn't take a drop from the red stake when he over shot the green?  No place within a club length from point of entry no closer to the hole?

The one from the bunker that he bladed in?

I guess he figured a miracle out and make the putt would give him 5.  And maybe Ollie 3 putts

Niether option was great.  But he overcame it

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great event, congratulations to Tyler!  Pretty amazing to add your name 85 years after your grandfather.

Yeah it was. Feel bad for Ollie.  Would have liked to see him make that last putt. 

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The one from the bunker that he bladed in?

I guess he figured a miracle out and make the putt would give him 5.  And maybe Ollie 3 putts

Niether option was great.  But he overcame it

Yes, that shot.  I would have taken my chances with a clean lie and a possible hole out.

17 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Also kind of the same wit Brisbane's dad, when he was assessed a penality yesterday for the ball moving after he began his takeaway.  The offiical--Ivan Lendel's daughter by the way----did a great job of explaning it to him.  it doesn't mattter how far away his club was in the backswing when it moved, if his initial actions caused it.  Which it apprantely did.  TV view was knd of blurry. 

I think this is the danger of having fathers as caddies, they are too emotonally involved to remain calm and understand where their place is.  You can go all the way back to Matt Kuchar's father during his rounds at Augusta when Kuchar played as an Amatuer.  He was a distaction to the other caddies and playes, and wasnt following protocol in several instanes. 

Should be a good match.  I'll be happy for either kid to win,. 

Lendl's daughters all played in the Scott Robertson Memorial Junior event in Roanoke, Virginia when I was a tournament volunteer.  Marika won the 15-18 division in 2004 and Isabelle won the 15-18 division in 2006 and 2007.  They were incredibly polite and kind to all of us.  Ivan was always encouraging and positive and never pushed his daughters in any way I could see.  

Lendl's daughters all played in the Scott Robertson Memorial Junior event in Roanoke, Virginia when I was a tournament volunteer.  Marika won the 15-18 division in 2004 and Isabelle won the 15-18 division in 2006 and 2007.  They were incredibly polite and kind to all of us.  Ivan was always encouraging and positive and never pushed his daughters in any way I could see.  

Ivan Lendl and his daughter used to play/practice @ Torrington CC in CT years ago. She has great game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list