Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

GolfSpy MPR

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

On first glance they look like they’d fit a mid-handicapper quite well based on how the D line has positioned themselves in the past.  I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to hear the better players say these are spot on as their choice for a lower single digit player. 

I wish I were a lower single digit, but they definitely work for a mid-single digit.  The only thing I'd caution someone on is that the toe is somewhat dead.  So if you hit the ball off the toe frequently and you have holes with significant trouble short on your usual course, these clubs may not be for you.  I had another toe-ball that came up 30 yards short of where it should have been, but it was off the tee, so it just left me a longer shot to the green.

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

I know I raved about dispersion earlier this week, but today was certainly not a good example of that. (But I suppose that's why these tests are not just hitting some shots in a bay and instead take place over a few weeks.)

@greggarner - was it as wet down in RDU as it was here in RVA?  Because I had some interesting results today that I'll detail below.  And I feel like the sloppy wet mess played a part in it.

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

I have noticed more and more than while I can work these irons, they certainly prefer to go straight or bending just a couple yards one way or the other. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I have not hit a single ball that is aggressively offline due to spin whereas my i210s have a tendency to snap some if I'm not careful.

From 7 on down, these clubs want to go straight.  And honestly, the 6, 5 and 4 go straight when I am in the general vicinity of the sweetspot.  I hit hooks off the toe, but that's to be expected.

So this was interesting:

image.png.515caa9543caf934ae4dab4b4eff8a43.png

I take some exception to the approach shot handicap.  I missed a ton of greens, but I missed nearly all of them in places that were just perfect for getting up and down.  And as you can see from the short game handicap, I got up and down a ton.  7 one putts in 14 holes, and the longest putt I made was 6 feet.  I would say that I've gotten the hang of chipping with these things, but the greens here were recently punched, and they haven't been able to mow in a day or so because of all the rain.  So the greens are sloooooooow right now.  But only one of these up and downs were all that difficult (and I've actually had the shot several times, so I know it pretty well)

It was really wet today, and the ball was constantly picking up water.  And that led to a couple really nice fliers:

image.png.9a1832fcfcb8b80ca7ab9b94e218d877.png

image.png.80a5e5143b6cd54dc54bb2a273a4644e.png

Both of those were good swings, solid shots, and just nuclear fliers.  Interestingly, the 8i came out a bit low (I knew it was going to be long immediately), but the 9i was pretty high and looked good for a little while until it just wouldn't come down.  I'm pretty sure both just squirted due to the ball being so wet.  I doubt my F8s would have handled the shots differently.  

image.png.35a77aa8a09dedc1bab965507def58ff.png

This I really like.  This is everything I've played with the D7 Forged.  They are working for me.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Too early to say you’ll game them?

Way too early. :)

I know it seems like this test has been going on for a long time but we are just coming up on 3 weeks with these irons in our possession. Since I got them on the Monday night of a busy work week I didn’t get them to the range until Friday so that means I’ve had them all of 2 weeks and only hit them 4 times, thrice on the range and once on the course.

Throw in that it was so windy the day that I played and for one of the range sessions and we are still very much in the afternoon coffee meet for Sunday brunch portion of our relationship, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, revkev said:

Way too early. 🙂

I know it seems like this test has been going on for a long time but we are just coming up on 3 weeks with these irons in our possession. Since I got them on the Monday night of a busy work week I didn’t get them to the range until Friday so that means I’ve had them all of 2 weeks and only hit them 4 times, thrice on the range and once on the course.

Throw in that it was so windy the day that I played and for one of the range sessions and we are still very much in the afternoon coffee meet for Sunday brunch portion of our relationship, yet. emoji57.png

All in good fun...keep doing your thing, It's been a fun read thus far.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

15 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

The only thing I'd caution someone on is that the toe is somewhat dead.  So if you hit the ball off the toe frequently and you have holes with significant trouble short on your usual course, these clubs may not be for you.

From 7 on down, these clubs want to go straight.  And honestly, the 6, 5 and 4 go straight when I am in the general vicinity of the sweetspot.  I hit hooks off the toe, but that's to be expected.

It was really wet today, and the ball was constantly picking up water.

Yeah, it's super wet here this weekend. Honestly, the course probably shouldn't have been open yesterday. But I think what was odd was not the suddenly-long shots, but the number of very short ones that preceded them. The 160 yard 8i was closer to the yardage I had experienced in previous rounds but a full-swing 9i going 120? My i210 PW is good for 125... Anyways. That's why I wonder if it's not something I was doing and the solid feel was just covering up any swing flaws.

Totally concur that 7i and down are straight as arrows. 6i wants to just gently fall to the right. 3, 4, and 5 I've struggled with and feel like I don't have good enough data to really provide a reasonable report.

And yeah, absolutely no help on toe strikes. My i210 4i is ~200 off a tee.

image.png.6b4763ce5cc5aae902d62220085ad22c.png

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

IMG_2282.JPG

Okay as promised spent a good deal of time on the range today. These were 9 iron, 5 iron, 9 wood carry distances respectively. I also hit 8,7,6 but deleted those so you could see these.

BTW I averaged 130, 144, 154 carry respectively on the monitor, having written that I was aiming at a pin that I shot at 134 with a tree at 188 behind it - all the 8 irons that i hit carried past that pin and so did my last 9 iron (not recorded in the picture).

Yes my carry distance with 6 iron is the same as 5 iron. This squares with where I was at when I went for the long game gapping fitting last Spring. I was pleased with the 9 wood dispersion pattern. All of the shots with that club drew a bit and flew very high.

As for the Wilsons I felt very comfortable with them. Nice and consistent. Love how they sound. Just very tight shot pattern.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, greggarner said:

And yeah, absolutely no help on toe strikes. My i210 4i is ~200 off a tee.

Love that you guys are getting this level of detail out on these 👍.  Subtle characteristics that can be very important in deciding whether a particular club is worth a look.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Love that you guys are getting this level of detail out on these .  Subtle characteristics that can be very important in deciding whether a particular club is worth a look.

This is fascinating for me as well. I’ve always preferred my graphite shafts 1/2 to 1 inch longer than standard. The regular D7’s are standard length and I get some toe hits. I have the D7 forged at 1/2 longer than standard.

I hit 100 or so balls on the range today (it’s unlimited for me so I don’t know) and only had one off the toe.

I can only recall that one because it’s been mentioned frequently here. I also need had no chunks. A few thins but I hit a lot of good shots today. Unless it’s really thin I find that I’m getting away with it - generally a little left of target, lower ball flight and a bit short but long enough to catch a green or a fringe.

Tuesday I will be comparing PW and 9 iron on a par 3 course. I can play 7 of the 9 holes from the appropriate distance for that comparison.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is fascinating for me as well. I’ve always preferred my graphite shafts 1/2 to 1 inch longer than standard. The regular D7’s are standard length and I get some toe hits. I have the D7 forged at 1/2 longer than standard.

I hit 100 or so balls on the range today (it’s unlimited for me so I don’t know) and only had one off the toe.

I can only recall that one because it’s been mentioned frequently here. I also need had no chunks. A few thins but I hit a lot of good shots today. Unless it’s really thin I find that I’m getting away with it - generally a little left of target, lower ball flight and a bit short but long enough to catch a green or a fringe.

Tuesday I will be comparing PW and 9 iron on a par 3 course. I can play 7 of the 9 holes from the appropriate distance for that comparison.

Lot's of discussion out there about club shafts simply being too long and are negatively impacting the ability to make consistent, sweet spot contact.  My fitting with a 7i ended up with my shafts +1".  I'm think that is hurting my 4i and 5i consistency.  I wish iron fittings included the long irons 😕.

42 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Lot's of discussion out there about club shafts simply being too long and are negatively impacting the ability to make consistent, sweet spot contact.  My fitting with a 7i ended up with my shafts +1".  I'm think that is hurting my 4i and 5i consistency.  I wish iron fittings included the long irons 😕.

Truth. With how much different manufactures are promoting mixed sets, it's odd that you still have a really hard time finding a fitting that can let you find a mixed set. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

36 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Truth. With how much different manufactures are promoting mixed sets, it's odd that you still have a really hard time finding a fitting that can let you find a mixed set. 

I'm armed with way more knowledge since

Spoiler

image.png.267d461202a6b089153215c3704c8494.png

The discussion will be much different this time.

Lots of fitters do gapping tests now though - I think you could pivot to that - maybe?

That Ping long game fitting last year was an eye opener for me. I knew I was done around 5 iron years ago so was gaming 5 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 3 wood. Carry distance on all three was almost identical - by the time I left I had a set where my stock shots all gapped perfectly and all reached a 90 foot apex. I replaced those 3 with 9,7,5 woods.

I’d say I’m still right around that point in regards to apex. But need to get to track man to tell for sure. Regardless I need a bit longer shaft on iron, have for years. This test is proving it again.

I hit the D7 4,5 iron okay but there’s no way I hit them as well as 5 and 7 wood.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

9 hours ago, greggarner said:

But I think what was odd was not the suddenly-long shots, but the number of very short ones that preceded them. The 160 yard 8i was closer to the yardage I had experienced in previous rounds but a full-swing 9i going 120? My i210 PW is good for 125... Anyways. That's why I wonder if it's not something I was doing and the solid feel was just covering up any swing flaws.

Interesting.  I'm reaching back in my memory, and I don't think I've made a good swing, had a good yardage, and came up short.  I do feel like they are biased toward providing good results on low-face strikes to the detriment of high-face strikes, and that's why I've stopped teeing the ball up on par 3s.  I wonder... if you play a course where the fairways can get a bit long, can you catch the ball a bit high on the face and lose significant distance.  Hmm...

5 hours ago, revkev said:

That's what I'm finding as well - the power holes are doing their job and keeping the low part of the face lively.  

4 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I could see some potential for a D7 / D7F combo set.  Or a D7F / V6 combo (I mean, do I need power holes in a PW?).  Hell, what about a D7 4i bent 2* strong, D7F 4i - 8i, V6 9i - PW?  But then fitters need fitting heads and shafts for all of this.  And someone has to pay for all that stuff.

So now the wheels are turning... a D7 4i with a Recoil 460 is $98 from Wilson and then a few bucks to a club repair guy to bend it a bit strong if needed.  The Staff Utility iron starts at $230 and can't be ordered with a Recoil.  🤔

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I could see some potential for a D7 / D7F combo set.  Or a D7F / V6 combo (I mean, do I need power holes in a PW?).  

Apparently you don't need holes in a GW, so idk. 🤔

That said, if I was thinking about a split set with these, I'd definitely want these in the short - mid irons. Very impressed with their accuracy in those clubs. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

I have a lot to say about combo sets. I will save that for my review. Wilson’s online customization tool is handy for this possibility but one would still need to know what he or she needed. It would be hard to get a fitter to go off script - not impossible but outside the box.

Many of the top 50 strokes gained approach shots on tour game combo sets.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

12 hours ago, revkev said:

Lots of fitters do gapping tests now though - I think you could pivot to that - maybe?

That Ping long game fitting last year was an eye opener for me. I knew I was done around 5 iron years ago so was gaming 5 hybrid, 4 hybrid, 3 wood. Carry distance on all three was almost identical - by the time I left I had a set where my stock shots all gapped perfectly and all reached a 90 foot apex. I replaced those 3 with 9,7,5 woods.

I’d say I’m still right around that point in regards to apex. But need to get to track man to tell for sure. Regardless I need a bit longer shaft on iron, have for years. This test is proving it again.

I hit the D7 4,5 iron okay but there’s no way I hit them as well as 5 and 7 wood.

I saw an interesting video on this on YouTube. The channel is The Average Golfer. He took his dad to a Ping fitting and they found a similar result by replacing long irons with the higher numbered woods as well. The Trackman numbers bore out the results. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

43 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

I saw an interesting video on this on YouTube. The channel is The Average Golfer. He took his dad to a Ping fitting and they found a similar result by replacing long irons with the higher numbered woods as well. The Trackman numbers bore out the results. 

If you have a more moderate to slower swing speed lofted woods may be the way to go - I was a part of the Ping long game fitting test last spring - it was eye opening for certain.  I don't want to ding the D7's too much because of the 4 and 5 iron though - the peculiarities of my swing aren't Wilson's fault.  You can see how tight the 9 iron dispersion was with the D7 as well as the 7 iron from the other day and these are plenty forgiving. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

13 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I wonder... if you play a course where the fairways can get a bit long, can you catch the ball a bit high on the face and lose significant distance.

You know, that's entirely possible. I will absolutely test that. I have never been one to miss high on the face, but it would certainly explain some of the issues I've had with tee shots. 🤯 That then begs the question -- does a high strike feel flush? Low strikes feel low, but every shot that came up unexpectedly short felt so good.

13 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I could see some potential for a D7 / D7F combo set.  Or a D7F / V6 combo (I mean, do I need power holes in a PW?).  Hell, what about a D7 4i bent 2* strong, D7F 4i - 8i, V6 9i - PW? 

11 hours ago, Thin2win said:

That said, if I was thinking about a split set with these, I'd definitely want these in the short - mid irons. Very impressed with their accuracy in those clubs. 

I could definitely see a combo set with these, though (so far) my subset of D7F would be 6i-9i. Those 4 clubs are really performing well for me overall.

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I don't want to ding the D7's too much because of the 4 and 5 iron though - the peculiarities of my swing aren't Wilson's fault.

But I also wouldn't just give them carte blanche! My i210 4-iron is my absolute favorite in the set and I am really struggling with the D7F long irons. I hit a 5i (what felt like) absolutely flush this morning to a 190 yd back pin. Landed on the front fringe and just trickled onto the front of the green, leaving me a 60 footer...

image.png.4bf40706f49317835e6383ad2808dcde.png

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

14 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Interesting.  I'm reaching back in my memory, and I don't think I've made a good swing, had a good yardage, and came up short.  I do feel like they are biased toward providing good results on low-face strikes to the detriment of high-face strikes, and that's why I've stopped teeing the ball up on par 3s.  I wonder... if you play a course where the fairways can get a bit long, can you catch the ball a bit high on the face and lose significant distance.  Hmm...

That's what I'm finding as well - the power holes are doing their job and keeping the low part of the face lively.  

I could see some potential for a D7 / D7F combo set.  Or a D7F / V6 combo (I mean, do I need power holes in a PW?).  Hell, what about a D7 4i bent 2* strong, D7F 4i - 8i, V6 9i - PW?  But then fitters need fitting heads and shafts for all of this.  And someone has to pay for all that stuff.

So now the wheels are turning... a D7 4i with a Recoil 460 is $98 from Wilson and then a few bucks to a club repair guy to bend it a bit strong if needed.  The Staff Utility iron starts at $230 and can't be ordered with a Recoil.  🤔

I am going to assume you won't need to bend the cast D7 4 iron strong.  It is a rocket launcher at 19*.  When I can catch it, it's in the ball park of my 3 wood.

Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but curious to see if you guys see any unexpected fliers after you get your numbers dialed in.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

7 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Not sure if this has been addressed or not, but curious to see if you guys see any unexpected fliers after you get your numbers dialed in.

I mentioned it at some point, but I've had some serious fliers coming out of the rough. Longest Fliers I've ever had. 30-40y longer than expected kind of fliers. 

WITB:

7 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

I've gotten a few when it was wet.  I haven't really noticed any when it's been dry.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I was looking back at some data from my LM session last week and noticed that as the clubs got longer I stared losing them to the right :20200928_181048.jpg.238bb04ccbe0e2145eb9f537fbc2e6cf.jpg

The tiny white circle is my grouping with the GW. PW is the small pink circle, 9i small green, 8i dark blue, 7i orange, 6i yellow, 5i red. 

The larger pink, green and purple circles were my current pw, 8i and 7i.... Yikes. 

I took my 6i and 5i in to get their lie angles adjusted today, then out to the range after. I had the 6i bent half a degree upright and the 5i a full degree upright and half a degree stronger. Bending the 6i and 5i helped straighten them out in practice, now time to course test. 

I might bend the 9i a bit flatter looking back at this data, I'll see if I'm noticing it going left on the course. I have my weekly men's club game Wednesday, then a glow ball par3 with the wife Friday night and then a 2 person scramble this coming Saturday. So a busy golf week. 

WITB:

My week has totally blown up on me. Went to the par 3 yesterday with no rain on the radar - it was pouring by the 5th hole. I got soaked not enough data to really tell you anything.

Round for today is cancelled because many courses are closed - too much rain the last few weeks. The range at my club may open later. If it does i will at least hit balls.

I have no other time to play an actual round of golf on this so called vacation. I will however be able to hit tons of shots on the range. There is no rain in the forecast.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My daughter had Girls Golf last night, so I was at the downtown Richmond TFT facility with a pretty nice six hole par 3 course.  Of course it rained for 30 minutes, so I only had a half hour to do anything.  So I figured I'd collect a little data.  People were trying to play the course as a course, so I had to hop around a bit between the first and third holes to hit shots without bothering other people.  I'm most interested in dispersion (left/right and short/long), so I'm not too hung up on where the flag is.

Hole 1:  160 yards long, slight wind blowing left to right - 8 iron
1.  20 yards right, 5 yards long
2.  1 yard right, 10 yards long
3.  13 yards right, 0 yards long
4.  0 yards right, 40 yards short (very fat)
5.  10 yards left, 2 yards long
6.  9 yards left, 6 yards long

image.png.2b168ce88ab5cc076d67e091278f4ccd.png

Hole 3:  133 yards long, slight wind in the face - Pitching Wedge
1.  3 yards left, 5 yards short
2.  14 yards left, 1 yard long
3.  20 yards left, 7 yards long

image.png.c76a1cbea7fe3a23d36d341210cdfbbf.png

I wish I could have hit more shots, but I had to make sure I was staying out of the way of people paying to play the golf course.

So what did I learn?  

• The left/right dispersion was pretty good.  30 yards with the 8 iron.  17 yards with the pitching wedge.
  • If I drop the fat shot, the short/long dispersion was pretty good as well.  10 yards with the 8 iron.  12 yards with the pitching wedge.

Yes, the sample size is too small to be very valid; if I hit more shots, I'm sure the total dispersions would go up.  But the outlier shot was caused by a bad swing.  No crazy fliers or random shorties.  So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

My daughter had Girls Golf last night, so I was at the downtown Richmond TFT facility with a pretty nice six hole par 3 course.  Of course it rained for 30 minutes, so I only had a half hour to do anything.  So I figured I'd collect a little data.  People were trying to play the course as a course, so I had to hop around a bit between the first and third holes to hit shots without bothering other people.  I'm most interested in dispersion (left/right and short/long), so I'm not too hung up on where the flag is.

Hole 1:  160 yards long, slight wind blowing left to right - 8 iron
1.  20 yards right, 5 yards long
2.  1 yard right, 10 yards long
3.  13 yards right, 0 yards long
4.  0 yards right, 40 yards short (very fat)
5.  10 yards left, 2 yards long
6.  9 yards left, 6 yards long

image.png.2b168ce88ab5cc076d67e091278f4ccd.png

Hole 3:  133 yards long, slight wind in the face - Pitching Wedge
1.  3 yards left, 5 yards short
2.  14 yards left, 1 yard long
3.  20 yards left, 7 yards long

image.png.c76a1cbea7fe3a23d36d341210cdfbbf.png

I wish I could have hit more shots, but I had to make sure I was staying out of the way of people paying to play the golf course.

So what did I learn?  

• The left/right dispersion was pretty good.  30 yards with the 8 iron.  17 yards with the pitching wedge.
  • If I drop the fat shot, the short/long dispersion was pretty good as well.  10 yards with the 8 iron.  12 yards with the pitching wedge.

Yes, the sample size is too small to be very valid; if I hit more shots, I'm sure the total dispersions would go up.  But the outlier shot was caused by a bad swing.  No crazy fliers or random shorties.  So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

When do you want to meetup and compare Forged vs. Non-Forged D7s?? Need to look at distance, dispersion, feel, and how well it pairs with beers 😉

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

When do you want to meetup and compare Forged vs. Non-Forged D7s?? Need to look at distance, dispersion, feel, and how well it pairs with beers

Oh I can answer that last question for you. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

3 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

When do you want to meetup and compare Forged vs. Non-Forged D7s?? Need to look at distance, dispersion, feel, and how well it pairs with beers 😉

Feel like I should add this

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

10 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Need to make that happen soon.  It's almost time for the final reviews.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I think they're working...

image.png.f148d875b7b52abfde5240183b285da5.png

Just a sample size of one, but this gap wedge was hit well out by the toe:

image.png.c021d92342b9b9907ef469304023e9fa.png

What I did not do is hit this one high on the face as well.  No significant loss of distance.  Also felt and sounded pretty good.  I could tell this one near the toe because of the mark on the club.  Maybe I've toed more of them than I think.  I need to pick up a can of Dr. Scholls.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Today I played a round workout using driver just to play some more shots with these irons. My home course is pretty short, so I can easily go driver / wedge to most holes. Anyway. These irons... Hit more greens (14/18) today then I normally hit. Probably due to hitting most of the fairways. But was 3/3 with my 5i,and 2/2 with the 6i on approaches. My only missed green on an approach, was a well stuck shot that I needed to curve around a tree. It clipped a branch and dropped down. If it misses the branch I'm on that green too. Can't think of the last round (or even if it has ever happened) that I hit 5 greens from 170+ out. 

So that was my day. 

WITB:

Woof. Well I'm glad things are going well for the other testers. I'll just leave this here and withhold other comments for now... Not sure what's going on for me.

20201002_204219.jpg.b7a7e384b47efdb38c8e03eb185b78f8.jpg

Tested: