Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

GolfSpy MPR

9 hours ago, chisag said:

I remember Jack said it is the only time you get an absolutely perfect lie, so why not take advantage.

I remember the same thing from Golf My Way.  I tell this to the kids we coach at First Tee and they ask me "Who's Jack?"

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I remember the same thing from Golf My Way.  I tell this to the kids we coach at First Tee and they ask me "Who's Jack?"

There’s your rainy day video!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey guys,

quick opinion question 😊

I have stated in another thread, I’m getting back into golf, and going to stick to it now, I’m almost 34 and, not being big-headed, feel I have the ability to be a decent golfer..

Now, I am using the WS D7 forged irons, my thinking behind this was, as I improve, I can adjust quicker rather than buying GI irons, then changing again to forged clubs as I improve..

so, basically is it reasonable a method to have done this, regarding hitting them..considering it’s been a matter of weeks, I’m striking the majority of balls well, hardly any OB, I would still be chipping around the green..and when I do catch it sweet, man, it’s a nice sensation..and bullet straight..

Forgot to add : soon as the COVID / weather improves and my local club I’m joining opens, I will be giving the pro a hauler!

Edited by Zeebedy

DRIVER: Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 degree

3W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

5W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

4 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ reg.

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Forged (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56 and 60

Putter: Cleveland - Huntington Beach #3

Ball: -

Thanks for the reply, very informative.

I will keep an eye on things and once I have had a few lessons and ALOT of practice, then maybe review my choice of clubs if things don’t seem to be doing me any favours.

DRIVER: Taylormade RBZ Tour 9 degree

3W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

5W: Taylormade RBZ reg.

4 Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ reg.

Irons: Wilson Staff D7 Forged (5-PW)

Wedges: Vokey SM6 52, 56 and 60

Putter: Cleveland - Huntington Beach #3

Ball: -

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... So over simplified, play clubs that help you hit your best shots most consistently. Do not play irons you will "grow into" but play irons that help you play your best right now. You can always change irons as your ability increases but for most, that ability to increase your ball striking is directly related to how well you hit the ball right now.

... I cannot stress strongly enough all of my students improved when they started seeing better shots. Better shots resulted in more confidence and more confidence resulted in better shots.

So a fitting is always a great place to start but playing the most forgiving irons you can effectively play (which is different for every level of player) and hitting good shots right now is always your best chance to play well and improve. 

2 hours ago, Zeebedy said:

Now, I am using the WS D7 forged irons, my thinking behind this was, as I improve, I can adjust quicker rather than buying GI irons, then changing again to forged clubs as I improve

I've always taken the approach of playing the best clubs for your game right now. I've played golf since I was 8 and I'm turning 34 this weekend and until just a couple years ago, I really couldn't have told you about club types other than "blades" and "cavity backs." Player's cavity, player's distance, cavity backs, game improvement, super game improvement... these may be helpful from a marketing perspective, but ultimately just let the fitter watch your swing and make some recommendations.

Would I like to play blades? Maybe. But it's ego. And switching the blades would reveal pretty quickly that I've got a ways to go on ballstriking and golf sure is a lot more fun when you hit good shots. Until I'm hitting the dead center of the clubface on 99.9% of shots, I'd generally be better served by something with more forgiveness, ego be damned.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Chisag said everything here - I honestly don’t know if these irons are the best choice for a fit 34 year old with designs on playing better.

I think you should line up your teacher, talk through your swing type and what sort of club will work best and go from there.

Best wishes

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, greggarner said:

I've always taken the approach of playing the best clubs for your game right now. I've played golf since I was 8 and I'm turning 34 this weekend and until just a couple years ago, I really couldn't have told you about club types other than "blades" and "cavity backs." Player's cavity, player's distance, cavity backs, game improvement, super game improvement... these may be helpful from a marketing perspective, but ultimately just let the fitter watch your swing and make some recommendations.

Would I like to play blades? Maybe. But it's ego. And switching the blades would reveal pretty quickly that I've got a ways to go on ballstriking and golf sure is a lot more fun when you hit good shots. Until I'm hitting the dead center of the clubface on 99.9% of shots, I'd generally be better served by something with more forgiveness, ego be damned.

Exactly Greg!  I will even go further an add that clubs within any given design category will play differently for each of us.  I've now tried the D7's twice at my Truespec fittings, last month and yesterday, and they simply do not agree with me (and they weren't the only ones).  It seems crazy this would be the case as, outwardly, the designs seem so similar between most clubs within a category.

Lastly I will say that opting for the club more towards conventional/player category may not always be the best option either...from the "it will force you to be better, hit center reasoning".  There is a strong argument to let the technology work for you. If one can get close to same same distance and/or accuracy from a club that offers more forgiveness, why not?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Exactly Greg!  I will even go further an add that clubs within any given design category will play differently for each of us.  I've now tried the D7's twice at my Truespec fittings, last month and yesterday, and they simply do not agree with me (and they weren't the only ones).  It seems crazy this would be the case as, outwardly, the designs seem so similar between most clubs within a category.
Lastly I will say that opting for the club more towards conventional/player category may not always be the best option either...from the "it will force you to be better, hit center reasoning".  There is a strong argument to let the technology work for you. If one can get close to same same distance and/or accuracy from a club that offers more forgiveness, why not?  

Not only that there are optimal launch angles for each club in a set - it’s possible that a given player may hit clubs with more loft farther than less left. Driver is the obvious example of this but the same holds true with longer irons.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 3 weeks later...

One last word for these irons - I had almost every iron hole high or past today on a swirly windy day today, even on the miss hits.

And man was I able to flight them up or down.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks....new member to your forum.  I have really enjoyed reading all your comments about the Wilson D7 Forged irons.  I have owned a set of the D7 forged and I really like them.

I am a slow-swinging senior and I initially thought the D7 forged would be a bit "stout" for me as a mid-capper.  But I like them better than any other iron set I have ever owned.  I'm a Wilson homer when it comes to their irons but have never really been that excited about their woods.  The Wilson D7F's seem to be very consistent for me.  Average distance for me and they launch high and feel so good on flush hits.

I hope there will be more comments in the future.  I enjoy reading them.

Thanks,

BobS

TM Stealth Driver

Wilson D9 Forged Irons

Hi folks....new member to your forum.  I have really enjoyed reading all your comments about the Wilson D7 Forged irons.  I have owned a set of the D7 forged and I really like them.
I am a slow-swinging senior and I initially thought the D7 forged would be a bit "stout" for me as a mid-capper.  But I like them better than any other iron set I have ever owned.  I'm a Wilson homer when it comes to their irons but have never really been that excited about their woods.  The Wilson D7F's seem to be very consistent for me.  Average distance for me and they launch high and feel so good on flush hits.
I hope there will be more comments in the future.  I enjoy reading them.
Thanks,
BobS

What did you switch from? I had the same fear as I had played GIs for about 3 years. I find the Wilson’s far easier to hit.

Who knew?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I switched from the standard Wilson D7 cast irons.  I liked the standard D7s.  But I really liked the looks of the D7 forged and thought I would try them. VERY happy with the forged version.  Maybe not quite as long but a lot more consistent.

TM Stealth Driver

Wilson D9 Forged Irons

• 2 months later...

Just got these irons after demoing them in the simulator.

Truthfully they were an afterthought as my irons for years have been Srixon and cobra and was not getting on with the forged tecs I got last year thinking the hollow body players distance iron would elevate my game. Big mistake. They were great in the simulator but terrible for me on course and I didn't particularly like their head shape and offset.

I was demoing the p770 p790 Zx7 to trade for my forged tecs. Tried the zx5 but they were essentially identical to my 565 Srixons that are 5 years old.

Well was hitting them ok decided given limited inventory at golf stores these I looked at the rack at other contenders.

Mizuno was out as the only stock they  have did not have shafts I like and orders will take minimum  2 months.

The Callaway's were crazy expensive. 

Walked back towards the simulator and saw the D7 forged.

I remembered vaguely the 2020 MGS article but wasn't looking for irons when that came out.

So I took the 7 iron down off the shelf and set it down.

I was pleasantly surprised. The head was a bit bigger than the Srixons and TM I was demoing but the shape of the head looked exactly how I like irons.

For me the 8 iron and PW shape are important as I find many manufacturers make irons that look good until the 7 but 9 through wedge they don't appeal to my eye.

Perfect example are the Mizuno mp HMB. I came close to buying a used set until I put them at address and didn't like the look same as the forged tecs...

These Wilson's look great like the Srixon and my old cobra amp forged irons.

I also liked the fact the offset was not prominent like a lot of forgiving irons.

So I had them tape up the 7 iron to hit with the other 3 .

So the straightest were D7 forged. Longest D7 forged. spin rate, surprisingly the D7 forged was within 200 rpm of the p780 and zx7 and significantly more than p790.

Launch angle was 17 to 20 and about same for all the irons.

Feel was  close to zx7 and p780 better than p790.

Was able to hot cuts or draws though they were straight .

I left the store with them.

I think these irons really are unique in that they can appeal to a wide range of handicaps.

The bigger head with tech to maintain ballspeed helps those handicappers up to the high teens.

The shape of head lower offset and classic chrome look appeal to better player to low single digits say 3 hcp.

They technically are a players distance iron given the lofts, but they feature GI and players features too. The offset numbers are lower than the zx7 which is what Koepka is playing except for maybe in the pw.

Anyway will game them for first time tomorrow. Bit I'd they perform close to how they did in the simulator and given their looks these are try the most underrated irons going.

Oh and the price was 350 to 550$ cheaper than the other irons I was considering.

The $taper lite shafts fit me perfectly too. They were what were in the forged tecs.

I'm still loving mine, haven't flirted with any others since these went in the bag. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

First round with them today and was a bit disappointed. My swing was off but even on 3 good iron strikes I seemed to come 10 to 15 yards short of expected distance.

Not at all what I saw on simulator.

They show zero wear after a round not a scratch on the chrome and I love the look at address. Was sunny and the shiny chrome was not a distraction.

Going back to golf shop and try them against the other contenders again. Wonder if hitting  off a matt boosted the distance and launch compared to grass.

This time will bring my previous gamers which I know how they hit so I have a better baseline.

My demo when buying was against other competitors only.

9 minutes ago, Canabuc said:

My demo when buying was against other competitors only.

should always compare your gamers to potential new clubs to compare the simulator setup to your current distances.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I picked up a set of ZX7s, so I'm happy to give the side-by-side, but of course, YMMV. For me, at least:

• D7 definitely straighter (this was a negative for me in my testing, believe it or not)
  • Distances overall are very comparable
  • However!! ZX7s get the edge on distance *control* (the D7s would fall out of the sky on a high toe or suddenly get a heater where they're unexpectedly 30 yards longer than expected)
  • Stopping power goes to the ZX7 (I had a lot of trouble stopping the D7s when it's firm and fast)
  • Feel is super personal. Both have a really solid feel, but if you made me pick, Srixon, if only because even the firmest ball still feels pretty good with them and with firm balls, the D7s get pretty clicky

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

5 hours ago, revkev said:

Mine are still in the bag - for me irons are very over rated - when I look at my club usage they are often the 4th most used ensemble - 

Putter, Driver, Wedges, Irons, Fairway woods

I hit them like crap on Sunday and still broke 80 - they e we puke not have happened had anyone of the first three categories failed as systemically.

I have become a very proficient chipper with GW-9 iron. That’s extremely significant - they are likely to stay in my bag for a while. 

yes, and no. Irons are probably 4th like you ranked to break 90 or 80. But to get to 70, irons and hitting close to the pin are pretty big. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Most of mine are still solidly in the bag. The 4 iron gets dropped for a hybrid quite often and the gap wedge has been replaced by a specialty wedge, but the rest are staying put. 

Your mileage will definitely vary in a simulator, as @cnosil pointed out. Also, some folks do tend to see knuckle balls off mats (https://blog.trackmangolf.com/mats-vs-grass-whats-difference/). 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Still very much playing mine. However, the 4 iron my well be replaced by another @GolfSub70 939 hybrid and the wedges with the 286's.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

12 hours ago, revkev said:

Mine are still in the bag - for me irons are very over rated - when I look at my club usage they are often the 4th most used ensemble - 

Putter, Driver, Wedges, Irons, Fairway woods

I hit them like crap on Sunday and still broke 80 - they e we puke not have happened had anyone of the first three categories failed as systemically.

I have become a very proficient chipper with GW-9 iron. That’s extremely significant - they are likely to stay in my bag for a while. 

Agree. Even a really bad iron day doesn't have to be terrible if short game is on point.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

7 hours ago, Thin2win said:

yes, and no. Irons are probably 4th like you ranked to break 90 or 80. But to get to 70, irons and hitting close to the pin are pretty big. 

I have a 5.3 index - I hit exactly 11 iron shots to shoot 78 on Sunday.  It does depend on the player but its one of those cases where if you started to track your shots and looked closely at the breakdown - you might be surprised.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

I have a 5.3 index - I hit exactly 11 iron shots to shoot 78 on Sunday.  It does depend on the player but its one of those cases where if you started to track your shots and looked closely at the breakdown - you might be surprised.

Bag makeup but also course layout definitely play into this. I shot 81 on Sunday with 21 full-swing iron shots but only 12 drivers and a single 4-wood. My bag goes up to 2i and more than a couple of those shots were 4i, which is a really comfortable 200-yard club for me. On a 7100 yard layout, I didn't get to use a wedge for anything other than a chip...

Setting up your bag based on where you play is something that probably isn't talked about enough. In another MGS group chat, we were talking about how many wedges each person carries and some guys were carrying 4 and 5 wedges. I currently carry two (not counting my set PW)...

Tested:

23 minutes ago, greggarner said:

Bag makeup but also course layout definitely play into this. I shot 81 on Sunday with 21 full-swing iron shots but only 12 drivers and a single 4-wood. My bag goes up to 2i and more than a couple of those shots were 4i, which is a really comfortable 200-yard club for me. On a 7100 yard layout, I didn't get to use a wedge for anything other than a chip...

Setting up your bag based on where you play is something that probably isn't talked about enough. In another MGS group chat, we were talking about how many wedges each person carries and some guys were carrying 4 and 5 wedges. I currently carry two (not counting my set PW)...

Yeah I make up my set so that I have comfortable gaps through the bag.  I've technically got 5 "wedges" but since they're 1/2 to a club stronger lofts on the Forged Tec I count the PW only by name.  I have roughly a 15 yard gap all the way down the bag to my hybrid which is 20 yards and 25 to the 5 wood.  I don't tend to hit 3-woods well, and at 220+ out from a green I'm probably not going for it unless there's room to roll up onto the green.  I could probably get away with dropping the forged tec GW and going 50, 54, 58 but I'm not even sure what I would add at the top of the bag.  I guess I like keeping that area simple, and giving some extra versatility in the low end.

I'll also add that end up playing a lot of short irons/wedges in my rounds.   

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

16 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I think to get to 70 it is more about course management not hitting it close; You can't force shots to be close to the pin as a players shot dispersion is too big. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

I think to get to 70 it is more about course management not hitting it close; You can't force shots to be close to the pin as a players shot dispersion is too big. 

... I will say whenever I break par, it is mostly because my irons are hot and I am hitting them close with usually a tap in or two. Driving well is always a bonus but I can struggle for par from the middle of the fairway while I can hit it close and birdie after missing the fairway when my driver is off as long as I don't have an obstruction blocking my shot to the green. When my iron play isn't sharp it seems like the entire round is a grind. Obviously a heavily tree lined course or lots of water in play can change that. Ymmv ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I will say whenever I break par, it is mostly because my irons are hot and I am hitting them close with usually a tap in or two. Driving well is always a bonus but I can struggle for par from the middle of the fairway while I can hit it close and birdie after missing the fairway when my driver is off as long as I don't have an obstruction blocking my shot to the green. When my iron play isn't sharp it seems like the entire round is a grind. Obviously a heavily tree lined course or lots of water in play can change that. Ymmv ...

Your grind as a good player is playing shots within your ability and not trying to make the hero shot.  Yes,  you hit your irons well which means you are hitting them at your targets and the ball can end up close; it can just as easily end up 20 feet away.   At what distances do you stop aiming directly at the pin and start playing to locations on the green?    I heard a stat that was a player that averages 79 only averages 1 more birdie than a player that averages 95 with the big difference being bogey avoidance.