Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

GolfSpy MPR

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Your grind as a good player is playing shots within your ability and not trying to make the hero shot.  Yes,  you hit your irons well which means you are hitting them at your targets and the ball can end up close; it can just as easily end up 20 feet away.   At what distances do you stop aiming directly at the pin and start playing to locations on the green? 

... Good points, especially "hero shots" that I almost never attempt. I learned a lot from Annika that said if she isn't positive she can pull off the shot 80% iff the time, she doesn't attempt it. That was one of the jumps in my index after putting that philosophy in play for a full season. I always play to locations on the green so distance is not as much of a factor for me as how well I am swinging that day and pin location. I may aim right at the flag from 200 yds and middle of the green from 100 yds. There are also days I feel like I can hit practically any shot where I want and other days middle of every green is a struggle. I would certainly say iron play is one of the best aspects of my game, driving not so much. There are also always sucker pins that regardless of distance, it just isn't worth taking them on as even a small miss can mean bogie or worse.  I am always a little shocked when good players fall into that trap and hit a "good shot" that is just 5 yds off target but result in a bogie. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

16 hours ago, Canabuc said:

Ended up returning them  got a crazy deal on new z585. And traded some other stuff for zx7.

Both have better spin numbers and the modus shafts in each work better. For now am going z585 and over time will work the zx7 into blended set.

I think you might be more at home over in the club ho anonymous stream. 🤣

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

17 hours ago, Canabuc said:

Ended up returning them  got a crazy deal on new z585. And traded some other stuff for zx7.

Both have better spin numbers and the modus shafts in each work better. For now am going z585 and over time will work the zx7 into blended set.

55 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I think you might be more at home over in the club ho anonymous stream. 🤣

Everyone is welcome in my home

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

22 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Hey everyone.. Party at dlow's house. Everyone is welcome! 🤣 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

56 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

You've got a LOOOONG way to go to catch up with @Golfspy_CG2, but your efforts are duly noted. 😉

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 3 months later...

1D8FCE85-AAF0-4966-A867-870AC929EDAC.jpeg.957d3cb580c559cbfb9799d472677dee.jpegFFE4CA7F-D021-4358-90B3-7694BB6AFF51.jpeg.d0f2b690170b8d2c1d9a1e3686b45773.jpegI played 9 yesterday and one of the guys whom I played with asked if I still liked my Wilson D7 forged irons. 

I really do. 

I think they’ve held up nicely, too. We have over 50 rounds together and certainly that many range visits if not more. 

For someone looking for a sharp looking iron that’s reasonably forgiving these remain a nice value. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 1 year later...

Just revisited this old thread to see if any of my colleagues are still gaming theirs or if anyone is gaming the D9 forged irons? I’m still liking mine. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

@revkev mine are gone. They served me well for a couple of years but I'm now a Mizuno homer.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

12 hours ago, revkev said:

Just revisited this old thread to see if any of my colleagues are still gaming theirs or if anyone is gaming the D9 forged irons? I’m still liking mine. 

I'll be interested to see who still has them, and how they're holding up. I picked up a set of the non-forged D7 irons last year and the power hole filling in the 7i is falling out. Curious to know if that's happened to anyone else with either version of this line.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

19 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'll be interested to see who still has them, and how they're holding up. I picked up a set of the non-forged D7 irons last year and the power hole filling in the 7i is falling out. Curious to know if that's happened to anyone else with either version of this line.

I'm heading to the range later and will be glad to snap a couple of pictures and post them here then.  There is a significant difference between the D7 and D7 forged.  The D7 is a game improvement iron where as the D7 forged is a players/distance iron, less offset, slightly weaker lofts, thinner profile, smaller footprint, etc.  

I've had no issues with the power slots beyond being sure to clean them after each round or practice session.  Honestly I don't even notice that they are there most of the time.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

5 minutes ago, revkev said:

I'm heading to the range later and will be glad to snap a couple of pictures and post them here then.  There is a significant difference between the D7 and D7 forged.  The D7 is a game improvement iron where as the D7 forged is a players/distance iron, less offset, slightly weaker lofts, thinner profile, smaller footprint, etc.  

I've had no issues with the power slots beyond being sure to clean them after each round or practice session.  Honestly I don't even notice that they are there most of the time.  

I'm very aware of the differences between the lines, however I believe the filling used in the power holes is the same in both lines, hence my question.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I’m sure you are russtoherb, I just wanted to be sure that anyone dropping in knew too. It remains my opinion that Wilson should have picked a different name for these irons.

At any rate to the best of my knowledge you are correct that those holes are the same construction in each although I think there’s a difference in configuration and perhaps number. 

I’ve had no trouble with them and I play year round under differing turf conditions and hit balls off a mat into the net at home frequently, too, 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

5 hours ago, russtopherb said:

My 7 iron (reg D7) is gently pushing up into the cavity of the clubhead, but IIRC Wilson rectified this problem with the forged set as the urethane for the D7 forged was a single piece of urethane that fills the cutouts in the sole and also fills the entire cavity behind the face unlike the regular heads which have individual pieces of urethane for each individual slot.  

*edit: just confirmed from old marketing material, the urethane in the forged head was a single piece of urethane filling the "power chamber" or the cavity behind the face and the cutouts in the bottom of the sole.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

A5C3EAB0-8E64-4AB6-A1AE-7EA0C8A5B6E6.jpeg.46e05a73f875f60f4f5b2480cbd41fa1.jpegC932B208-FE27-4BC4-BCD5-30A4BB5F88F1.jpeg.612db48e3d0e8b213f654452fb0e8202.jpegAs you can see mine are holding up well. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 3/15/2023 at 5:26 PM, revkev said:

I'm still gaming mine, not that I haven't thought about a change.  But it wouldn't be a change based on performance,  just one for something newer and shiny.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On 3/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, revkev said:

Sadly, mine have been relegated to 'guest' irons. My neighbor's father-in-law used them when he was in town visiting and we all went out to play and he really liked them. I put them in the bag for a week when it was cold and wet, thinking the wider sole and cavity would help me out. I promptly posted a pair of 86's and that was the end of that experiment... 🤣

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

48 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

Sadly, mine have been relegated to 'guest' irons. My neighbor's father-in-law used them when he was in town visiting and we all went out to play and he really liked them. I put them in the bag for a week when it was cold and wet, thinking the wider sole and cavity would help me out. I promptly posted a pair of 86's and that was the end of that experiment... 🤣

As I recall you weren't sold that they were the better option for you anyway.  I think you're a younger, stronger player than their target group would be.  What are you gaming currently?  Wasn't it the I210's at the time of the test?

I know that I'm unique when it comes to irons. When I analyze my game they are low men on the totem pole behind driver, putter (in some order), wedges and fairway woods/hybrid - I use them the least on the course that I play on and then when your drill down further and go individual iron they become almost irrelevant.  Gap wedge is probably the most important one because I use it for bump and runs frequently.  Last time I played I only hit 9 full iron shots in 18 holes, 3 full wedges, lots of short game wedge shots though of course, 12 drivers, 10 fairway wood/hybrid shots - you see the pattern for me.  I can't see investing $1,200 in a set of irons when these work just fine for me.  I'd rather spend half that on driver to be sure it's the most forgiving/longest club that I can find for my game.  Do that and I may even hit a few more iron shots. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 hours ago, revkev said:

As I recall you weren't sold that they were the better option for you anyway.  I think you're a younger, stronger player than their target group would be.  What are you gaming currently?  Wasn't it the I210's at the time of the test?

Currently gaming a blended set of Srixons. ZX7's in 4i-7i and Z-Forged blades in 8i-PW. You're right, I was in i210's at the time of the test, though I tend to add a lot of dynamic loft, so I'm typically a club shorter than my peers. I stand by my original assessment that yes, I'm likely outside their target demographic but that they are amazing point-and-shoot irons with hot faces and great feel. (More than a few times during the test I found myself struggling to work the ball, even when I really needed to.)

I will say, I haven't given up on the idea of bringing back the D7 3i or 4i to use as more of a driving iron, especially since I just can't get comfortable with my 4-hybrid (fore left!) that I sometimes use when the course has thick rough and the ZX7 4i doesn't have enough muscle to hack it out.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

Currently gaming a blended set of Srixons. ZX7's in 4i-7i and Z-Forged blades in 8i-PW. You're right, I was in i210's at the time of the test, though I tend to add a lot of dynamic loft, so I'm typically a club shorter than my peers. I stand by my original assessment that yes, I'm likely outside their target demographic but that they are amazing point-and-shoot irons with hot faces and great feel. (More than a few times during the test I found myself struggling to work the ball, even when I really needed to.)

I will say, I haven't given up on the idea of bringing back the D7 3i or 4i to use as more of a driving iron, especially since I just can't get comfortable with my 4-hybrid (fore left!) that I sometimes use when the course has thick rough and the ZX7 4i doesn't have enough muscle to hack it out.

Thanks!  And I so know that 4 left shot with the hybrid,  When I first made the move to one about 20 years ago I was way stronger than I am now - I had that shot down.  Had only they put the green 30 yards left of my target I could have played on tour!  🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches