2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

Our Sponsors

Power holes testing:

Also out of yesterday's LM session, I have some thoughts on the power holes. I'm definitely a sweeper/picker of the ball, I rarely take a divot, and I tend to miss on the thin side. Going back and hitting my current set after a few weeks of not hitting them. The D7's feel much better on a thin hit. Some combination of Power Holes, Power Chamber and Recoil shaft has taken all the sting out of a thin shot. I didn't really notice it going to the D7's, but switching back for some LM data, it was very noticeable. That is a big plus in my book. 

• Like 7

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we’re off!   Thanks so much to MGS and Wilson for selecting me to be a part of this test.   I do check the boxes for this one, older guy, lower handicap but handicap up some from peak season

First and as always, big appreciation to MGS for hosting the best golf forums on the internet. And a big shout out to Wilson Golf for getting involved.  I am really excited to put these clubs int

Let's get this party started! HUGE thanks to MGS and Wilson for this opportunity. This is my first-ever MGS review and I'm pretty anxious because I get so much value out of this site that I don't want

Posted Images

7 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

@MattF will be upset with me, but I hit some range balls this evening.  I know I'm going to be kicked off of team #NoPractice,

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

The D7s were definitely running out more.

Do you think you'll experiment with a higher-spinning ball?

Also, what's the soil like down in RDU?  For all the time I spent in the Red Hat tower pre-COVID, I've never played golf down there.  Richmond is all clay, so I never really worry about stopping the ball.  Balls plug for days after it rains here.  

• Like 5

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Do you think you'll experiment with a higher-spinning ball?

Also, what's the soil like down in RDU?  For all the time I spent in the Red Hat tower pre-COVID, I've never played golf down there.  Richmond is all clay, so I never really worry about stopping the ball.  Balls plug for days after it rains here.  

I've noticed the Z-Star seems to have plenty of spin, more of a hop-and-stop. I was giving my stash of XVs a break, but I may need to bust them out for some testing. I was thinking about picking up a sleeve of Bridgestone Tour BXS because I can spin the cover off of them, but if anyone has any other balls they want me to test, I'm happy to snag a sleeve (except NOT K-Sigs). The ProV1x's really aren't getting it done even with crisp contact. (And just for a fun, I found a Callaway ERC Soft and hit that a couple of times. You wanna talk about running out...)

It's also clay down here. In the fairways, that's fine, but my club actively tries to make the greens really firm (Bermuda) so that it doesn't turn to mush when it rains. There is a course I have reciprocity at with Bentgrass greens and every summer they lose a couple of them. They are sponges right now and everything plugs, so I've stayed away from it for our testing.

10 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Very easy to fight the ball down and got through the wet grass nicely. Surprisingly pleased with the day. 

I had a couple shots today where I needed to punch and could not get the ball up. One of them had straight up topspin and dove into the turf about 20 yards out. Apparently I need to figure out how to punch with these irons as my Pings had me doing it wrong? 😆 Agree on wet grass. These are really easy to hit out of wet Bermuda rough.

• Like 8

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

IMG_2276.JPG

Trying to get to the range as much as possible to familiarize myself with these. It’s really tough for me to just “play” with new irons. I need time.

The one time I played I also experienced the ball not holding but it was exceedingly windy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

6 hours ago, greggarner said:

I've noticed the Z-Star seems to have plenty of spin, more of a hop-and-stop. I was giving my stash of XVs a break, but I may need to bust them out for some testing. I was thinking about picking up a sleeve of Bridgestone Tour BXS because I can spin the cover off of them, but if anyone has any other balls they want me to test, I'm happy to snag a sleeve (except NOT K-Sigs). The ProV1x's really aren't getting it done even with crisp contact. (And just for a fun, I found a Callaway ERC Soft and hit that a couple of times. You wanna talk about running out...)

It's also clay down here. In the fairways, that's fine, but my club actively tries to make the greens really firm (Bermuda) so that it doesn't turn to mush when it rains. There is a course I have reciprocity at with Bentgrass greens and every summer they lose a couple of them. They are sponges right now and everything plugs, so I've stayed away from it for our testing.

I had a couple shots today where I needed to punch and could not get the ball up. One of them had straight up topspin and dove into the turf about 20 yards out. Apparently I need to figure out how to punch with these irons as my Pings had me doing it wrong? 😆 Agree on wet grass. These are really easy to hit out of wet Bermuda rough.

The Mizuno Tour RB X ball is another very spinny one I you want to try that with the D7s

• Like 5

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

11 hours ago, greggarner said:

Being just a teeny bit farther south than us makes it easier to keep Bermuda greens alive.  The place I usually play (and volunteer as a coach) has bent greens, and they are just sponges.  The other TFT facility here in Richmond has Champions Bermuda greens on the practice green and the par 3 course (it's also the practice facility for VCU golf, and they funded the renovation).  They are phenomenal to play on, but it's just too cold around here to keep them from getting damaged during the winter without extreme measures.  We've already lost them once.

Richmond is a great town for beer, food, live music and art, but it's a lousy place to grow grass.

9 hours ago, revkev said:

Trying to get to the range as much as possible to familiarize myself with these. It’s really tough for me to just “play” with new irons. I need time.

Different strokes for different folks.  I wish I had the patience to practice full shots.  

I got out again tonight for a quick nine.  I had a pretty nice night striking the ball:

image.png.7aa8d0edc2032cb5178b164b16691a7f.png

Ignore the overall handicap, not sure how Arccos is calculating that.  I just like that direction the red line is going. 

I'm also liking the looks of this:

image.png.171878a7593501b2ef8dfd90ab1edc5a.png

Even the awful nine I played on Sunday had a decent strokes gained for approach.

I'm starting to get a feel for the distances these clubs will go.  The TFT course has several par 3s, and I'd always hit the ball off a tee pushed down to the ground.  And when hitting an iron off the tee on a par 4 or 5, I'd tee it up a bit.  I hit these clubs better (at least for tonight) with the ball on the turf on Par 3s and just barely off the ground when hitting the 4i on par 4s/5s.  

image.png.d0eb59cac51c282b995704ed9ba71e69.png

That 7i was a fun shot.  I was blocked out by low hanging limbs; the only way I was getting the ball anywhere near the green was to hit a low cut punch shot.  And I did.  These clubs seem to want to hit it straight, but I was able to get a good bit of curve on that shot.

I think I've said it before, but the sound the ball makes coming off these clubs is sublime.  It's a solid crack that I'd honestly forgotten about after a couple years of the Cobra F8s.  I'm all about the stats and the scores, but it's hard not to take pride in being able to make that sound with a golf club again.

• Like 6

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

20 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

These are very pleasant on the ears. Best sounding irons I've had in the bag. 

• Like 6

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

16 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

These are very pleasant on the ears. Best sounding irons I've had in the bag. 

I hit an old set of Hogans I have a few days before these arrived, and the sound is similar.  But in an easier to hit package.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Reading remarks by my tester teammates I’m reminded that irons in this category generally will produce less spin. The offset is an increased angle of descent.

I will be anxious to get on an LM to compare spin and descent rates. By sight the G30’s appear to launch and fly higher but the Rapsodo data doesn’t support what the eyes see. Very similar launch rates and carry distances - 147 yards average carry with 7 iron.

I’m not a high spin player anyway. I’m fine with my wedges but once I get to 9 iron I need to allow for run out - how much depends on course conditions. I’m far enough south that everything is some form of Bermuda and the newer strains that populate most of our greens tend to be quite firm most of the year.

• Like 6

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

13 minutes ago, revkev said:

Reading remarks by my tester teammates I’m reminded that irons in this category generally will produce less spin. The offset is an increased angle of descent.

I will be anxious to get on an LM to compare spin and descent rates. By sight the G30’s appear to launch and fly higher but the Rapsodo data doesn’t support what the eyes see. Very similar launch rates and carry distances - 147 yards average carry with 7 iron.

I’m not a high spin player anyway. I’m fine with my wedges but once I get to 9 iron I need to allow for run out - how much depends on course conditions. I’m far enough south that everything is some form of Bermuda and the newer strains that populate most of our greens tend to be quite firm most of the year.

Great point about the trade-off between the descent angle and spin rates that most game improvement irons present. Seeing this compared on a launch monitor would be very interesting. Would love if someone could come up with some sort of test to see how much changing the descent angle be a degree reduces stopping distance versus say increasing spin 300 rmp say. Does one have a much bigger effect than the other. Setting this up would of course be difficult, but maybe one could even use existing CGQuad data to start to answer this question. If I had some data such as this it would be really interesting to dive into.

• Like 6

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

Right Handed

Great point about the trade-off between the descent angle and spin rates that most game improvement irons present. Seeing this compared on a launch monitor would be very interesting. Would love if someone could come up with some sort of test to see how much changing the descent angle be a degree reduces stopping distance versus say increasing spin 300 rmp say. Does one have a much bigger effect than the other. Setting this up would of course be difficult, but maybe one could even use existing CGQuad data to start to answer this question. If I had some data such as this it would be really interesting to dive into.

This seems like a question for the MGS tester group - they have oodles of data gathered grime most wanted testing.

I just came from the range - from my days as a SuperSpeed tester I have learned that I’m much faster in the late afternoon than earlier in the day, especially than in the morning. At least when swinging the SuperSpeed sticks.

With the accumulated data that I’ve collected on my Rapsodo monitor I can now quantify what that means.

My average 7 iron carry today at 930 AM was 135 according to my LM - that’s odd given that I was hitting into Avery slight breeze and landing nearly every shot past a flag that I shot at 138 with the laser but it’s still the same LM. I averaged 145 carry at 545 on Tuesday and subjectively I hit the ball much better today, far more consistent, lots more on the sweet spot.

With driver the difference is greater 208 average carry to 219. And again I was very consistent and on the sweet spot with driver this morning.

At any rate I felt far more comfortable with the D7’s today. I’m getting used to how they look at set up and gaining confidence in how the ball flies. I believe I get more out of misses with them and miss than less than the regular D7’s. I greatly prefer how they feel. The real comparison now will focus on them v. The G30’s.

I will be sure to have both 7 irons with me on the range after church on Sunday and then on a Par 3 course that I intend to play a couple of times next week. (I will be on vacation)

• Like 8

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

2 minutes ago, revkev said:

This seems like a question for the MGS tester group - they have oodles of data gathered grime most wanted testing.

I just came from the range - from my days as a SuperSpeed tester I have learned that I’m much faster in the late afternoon than earlier in the day, especially than in the morning. At least when swinging the SuperSpeed sticks.

With the accumulated data that I’ve collected on my Rapsodo monitor I can now quantify what that means.

My average 7 iron carry today at 930 AM was 135 according to my LM - that’s odd given that I was hitting into Avery slight breeze and landing nearly every shot past a flag that I shot at 138 with the laser but it’s still the same LM. I averaged 145 carry at 545 on Tuesday and subjectively I hit the ball much better today, far more consistent, lots more on the sweet spot.

With driver the difference is greater 208 average carry to 219. And again I was very consistent and on the sweet spot with driver this morning.

At any rate I felt far more comfortable with the D7’s today. I’m getting used to how they look at set up and gaining confidence in how the ball flies. I believe I get more out of misses with them and miss than less than the regular D7’s. I greatly prefer how they feel. The real comparison now will focus on them v. The G30’s.

I will be sure to have both 7 irons with me on the range after church on Sunday and then on a Par 3 course that I intend to play a couple of times next week. (I will be on vacation)

I was kinda hinting at that with the data from the testing might help answer that question. 

I totally get that time of day work. I really need a couple hours in the morning before playing to get to maximum speed.

• Like 1

Right Handed

Hh
O

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

That's really interesting and I wonder why that is with the consistency. The D7 seems like it categorized as an SGI and would offer more forgiveness than the D7 forged in the player's distance category. That said - when you're comfortable and confident with a club, it stands to reason that you're going to hit it much better. 

Feel wise, I totally get the preference of the forged vs cast 🙂 

• Like 5

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

That's really interesting and I wonder why that is with the consistency. The D7 seems like it categorized as an SGI and would offer more forgiveness than the D7 forged in the player's distance category. That said - when you're comfortable and confident with a club, it stands to reason that you're going to hit it much better. 

Feel wise, I totally get the preference of the forged vs cast  

To be clear I don’t mean that I think the D7 forgeds “feel” better than the D7’s. A good hit is a good hit and a bad hit feels like a bad hit regardless to me. I can’t really tell the difference between forged or cast - never have been able to - I can tell you where I made contact and whether it was good or not.

I do know that this isn’t the case for some - I’m only speaking for myself.

For what ever reason too, Im hitting more solid shots with the forged than the regular - it could be the 1/2” longer shaft, less offset, more loft, a combo of all three. I have no doubt the regular D7’s are more forgiving but a poor shot remains a poor shot. Forgiveness comes into play on marginal shots.

You can see it from my dispersion pattern that the D7 forged is a better fit for me. Less offset moves the entire pattern to the right putting the pin nearly in the middle instead of to the right edge of the pattern.

• Like 7

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5