2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

Our Sponsors

This has been an enjoyable one to follow and I thought now this would be a sweet testing opportunity. These irons looked SO SO good when Wilson introduced them to their line. 

On first glance they look like they’d fit a mid-handicapper quite well based on how the D line has positioned themselves in the past.  I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to hear the better players say these are spot on as their choice for a lower single digit player. 

• Like 7
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we’re off!   Thanks so much to MGS and Wilson for selecting me to be a part of this test.   I do check the boxes for this one, older guy, lower handicap but handicap up some from peak season

First and as always, big appreciation to MGS for hosting the best golf forums on the internet. And a big shout out to Wilson Golf for getting involved.  I am really excited to put these clubs int

Let's get this party started! HUGE thanks to MGS and Wilson for this opportunity. This is my first-ever MGS review and I'm pretty anxious because I get so much value out of this site that I don't want

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

That is exactly my thinking when I got my I500s. Since I am not bombing the ball out there I'll take the extra distance 

I hit the i500's a couple of times at PING demos this past winter and liked them. Of course it was a 7i and I have no idea how the long sticks might compare to my G410s, but I was getting about 6 yards more distance.  I started looking for a good used set with my specs but then came the flood of MGS Official Tests which has included some great PD irons.  With so many now being offered by the various OEM's (including the D7 Forged), I'm trying to take my time and really research this thoroughly. 

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

So now I'm curious, when do you use a mid iron if you are rocking a 9 wood? 

Right now, when I would normally use my 9 wood because we are doing this test.  Normally the longest iron that I game is 6. 🙂

This week I intend to do 9 iron v. 9 iron as well as 5 iron v. 9 wood on the Rapsodo.  I am surprised at how well I am hitting the D7 forged 4 and 5 iron.  Having written that I don't believe that I hit them close to as well as I do my 9 wood and 7 wood that they are currently replacing.  Since I really only hit 13 clubs I could see having the 4 iron in the bag for shots into the wind - I regularly play a number of par 3's where that club could really come in handy as the 7 wood can be fairly difficult to flight down.

This of course is no fault of the irons.  I haven't gamed 5 iron on a regular basis in 12 years, 4 iron in 15 years.  I was a 1 handicapper playing from the tips in league and not gaming a 5 iron (5 hybrid instead.)  I have a shallow AoA.

• Like 5

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

53 minutes ago, bens197 said:

This has been an enjoyable one to follow and I thought now this would be a sweet testing opportunity. These irons looked SO SO good when Wilson introduced them to their line. 

On first glance they look like they’d fit a mid-handicapper quite well based on how the D line has positioned themselves in the past.  I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to hear the better players say these are spot on as their choice for a lower single digit player. 

I think it's going to depend on how the single digit player gets there.  Some may prefer those Hogans that you are testing - those are gamier still but I don't think they have quite the same forgiveness as these.  If a guy likes to work the ball these may not be his cup of tea because they don't spin as much.  But if he's like me and he makes his score by getting it in the fairway, on the green, two putting or up and down for par and moving on - I think these may be the ticket. 

• Like 7

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

I think it's going to depend on how the single digit player gets there.  Some may prefer those Hogans that you are testing - those are gamier still but I don't think they have quite the same forgiveness as these.  If a guy likes to work the ball these may not be his cup of tea because they don't spin as much.  But if he's like me and he makes his score by getting it in the fairway, on the green, two putting or up and down for par and moving on - I think these may be the ticket. 

Honestly, if my review stopped today, that's exactly where I'm at. I had the world's most frustrating 82 today after hitting the ball better than I have in a couple weeks and just being unable to dial in to the flag. Left a 5i 20 yards short from 178, hit a 123 yard 9i on the next hole, and then a 160 yard 8i on the next. After rocketing a 140 yard 9i 2 holes later (well over the green), my playing partners even commented, "sometimes your ballflight looks just completely different from one shot to the next." And normally, I would be perfectly comfortable knowing that it was me making the changes. Today that was not the case. I'm not sure if I was having compression issues, if my posture was collapsing at impact, or what. Very frustrating.

I know I raved about dispersion earlier this week, but today was certainly not a good example of that. (But I suppose that's why these tests are not just hitting some shots in a bay and instead take place over a few weeks.)

</grump>

I have noticed more and more than while I can work these irons, they certainly prefer to go straight or bending just a couple yards one way or the other. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I have not hit a single ball that is aggressively offline due to spin whereas my i210s have a tendency to snap some if I'm not careful. I had a number of shots today off a sidehill that I tried to let the hill influence the flight and it just didn't. Notably I hit a 6i, ball about 3" above my feet, from 175 uphill to a front left flag guarded by bunkers. I crushed it. High, towering flight. Absolutely straight as an arrow off the back-right/center of the green. In my i210s, I would've hit 5i and probably missed left...

• Like 6

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Too early to say you’ll game them?

• Like 1
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

43 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

2 stroke penalty for baiting the "play it or trade it" decision 😁

501db7cfc23b1b15cc4fae8cebbbc359_square_fullsize.jpg.3397f71b38b59af70d0fd19f5ab4efba.jpg

D90722FB-5DB5-437A-9313-B517C8BF945F.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

3 hours ago, greggarner said:

I have noticed more and more than while I can work these irons, they certainly prefer to go straight or bending just a couple yards one way or the other. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I have not hit a single ball that is aggressively offline due to spin whereas my i210s have a tendency to snap some if I'm not careful. I had a number of shots today off a sidehill that I tried to let the hill influence the flight and it just didn't. Notably I hit a 6i, ball about 3" above my feet, from 175 uphill to a front left flag guarded by bunkers. I crushed it. High, towering flight. Absolutely straight as an arrow off the back-right/center of the green. In my i210s, I would've hit 5i and probably missed left...

As for my experience with straightness /workability and the D7's. They are more inclined to go straight in the short - mid irons than I've had before. For the last 3 years I've  played a players iron in the short - mid range and a PD club in the long irons. And for those last 3 years, my i500 5i had been my favorite iron. I've always wondered if I would have been better to just go full i500s. So this test has been perfect for me. 

For me, I'm happy to take straight and accurate over the ability to curve it 30y around a tree. From testing, and some videos I posted, I can definitely work these both directions as needed. But as @greggarner mentioned, they like to go straight. It is nice that on a poorly struck shot they hold their line better than I'm used to.

I know looking at the D7 results from Most Wanted testing they were the highest rated clubs in the short to mid iron range, I'm seeing that. I can easily put a 10 shot group within a few yards of each other with everything up to a 7i. 

• Like 7

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I hit the i500's a couple of times at PING demos this past winter and liked them. Of course it was a 7i and I have no idea how the long sticks might compare to my G410s, but I was getting about 6 yards more distance.  I started looking for a good used set with my specs but then came the flood of MGS Official Tests which has included some great PD irons.  With so many now being offered by the various OEM's (including the D7 Forged), I'm trying to take my time and really research this thoroughly. 

There are some other great offering out there now for sure. Hope you find the one that works best for you. As for the I500 long irons they are still forgiving for their size, though likely a bit harder to hit then the G410.

• Like 2

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

I wish I were a lower single digit, but they definitely work for a mid-single digit.  The only thing I'd caution someone on is that the toe is somewhat dead.  So if you hit the ball off the toe frequently and you have holes with significant trouble short on your usual course, these clubs may not be for you.  I had another toe-ball that came up 30 yards short of where it should have been, but it was off the tee, so it just left me a longer shot to the green.

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

I know I raved about dispersion earlier this week, but today was certainly not a good example of that. (But I suppose that's why these tests are not just hitting some shots in a bay and instead take place over a few weeks.)

@greggarner - was it as wet down in RDU as it was here in RVA?  Because I had some interesting results today that I'll detail below.  And I feel like the sloppy wet mess played a part in it.

4 hours ago, greggarner said:

I have noticed more and more than while I can work these irons, they certainly prefer to go straight or bending just a couple yards one way or the other. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I have not hit a single ball that is aggressively offline due to spin whereas my i210s have a tendency to snap some if I'm not careful.

From 7 on down, these clubs want to go straight.  And honestly, the 6, 5 and 4 go straight when I am in the general vicinity of the sweetspot.  I hit hooks off the toe, but that's to be expected.

So this was interesting:

image.png.515caa9543caf934ae4dab4b4eff8a43.png

I take some exception to the approach shot handicap.  I missed a ton of greens, but I missed nearly all of them in places that were just perfect for getting up and down.  And as you can see from the short game handicap, I got up and down a ton.  7 one putts in 14 holes, and the longest putt I made was 6 feet.  I would say that I've gotten the hang of chipping with these things, but the greens here were recently punched, and they haven't been able to mow in a day or so because of all the rain.  So the greens are sloooooooow right now.  But only one of these up and downs were all that difficult (and I've actually had the shot several times, so I know it pretty well)

It was really wet today, and the ball was constantly picking up water.  And that led to a couple really nice fliers:

image.png.9a1832fcfcb8b80ca7ab9b94e218d877.png

image.png.80a5e5143b6cd54dc54bb2a273a4644e.png

Both of those were good swings, solid shots, and just nuclear fliers.  Interestingly, the 8i came out a bit low (I knew it was going to be long immediately), but the 9i was pretty high and looked good for a little while until it just wouldn't come down.  I'm pretty sure both just squirted due to the ball being so wet.  I doubt my F8s would have handled the shots differently.  

image.png.35a77aa8a09dedc1bab965507def58ff.png

This I really like.  This is everything I've played with the D7 Forged.  They are working for me.

• Like 8

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Too early to say you’ll game them?

Way too early. :)

I know it seems like this test has been going on for a long time but we are just coming up on 3 weeks with these irons in our possession. Since I got them on the Monday night of a busy work week I didn’t get them to the range until Friday so that means I’ve had them all of 2 weeks and only hit them 4 times, thrice on the range and once on the course.

Throw in that it was so windy the day that I played and for one of the range sessions and we are still very much in the afternoon coffee meet for Sunday brunch portion of our relationship, yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 6

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

3 hours ago, revkev said:

Way too early. 🙂

I know it seems like this test has been going on for a long time but we are just coming up on 3 weeks with these irons in our possession. Since I got them on the Monday night of a busy work week I didn’t get them to the range until Friday so that means I’ve had them all of 2 weeks and only hit them 4 times, thrice on the range and once on the course.

Throw in that it was so windy the day that I played and for one of the range sessions and we are still very much in the afternoon coffee meet for Sunday brunch portion of our relationship, yet. emoji57.png

All in good fun...keep doing your thing, It's been a fun read thus far.

• Like 1
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

15 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

The only thing I'd caution someone on is that the toe is somewhat dead.  So if you hit the ball off the toe frequently and you have holes with significant trouble short on your usual course, these clubs may not be for you.

From 7 on down, these clubs want to go straight.  And honestly, the 6, 5 and 4 go straight when I am in the general vicinity of the sweetspot.  I hit hooks off the toe, but that's to be expected.

It was really wet today, and the ball was constantly picking up water.

Yeah, it's super wet here this weekend. Honestly, the course probably shouldn't have been open yesterday. But I think what was odd was not the suddenly-long shots, but the number of very short ones that preceded them. The 160 yard 8i was closer to the yardage I had experienced in previous rounds but a full-swing 9i going 120? My i210 PW is good for 125... Anyways. That's why I wonder if it's not something I was doing and the solid feel was just covering up any swing flaws.

Totally concur that 7i and down are straight as arrows. 6i wants to just gently fall to the right. 3, 4, and 5 I've struggled with and feel like I don't have good enough data to really provide a reasonable report.

And yeah, absolutely no help on toe strikes. My i210 4i is ~200 off a tee.

image.png.6b4763ce5cc5aae902d62220085ad22c.png

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

IMG_2282.JPG

Okay as promised spent a good deal of time on the range today. These were 9 iron, 5 iron, 9 wood carry distances respectively. I also hit 8,7,6 but deleted those so you could see these.

BTW I averaged 130, 144, 154 carry respectively on the monitor, having written that I was aiming at a pin that I shot at 134 with a tree at 188 behind it - all the 8 irons that i hit carried past that pin and so did my last 9 iron (not recorded in the picture).

Yes my carry distance with 6 iron is the same as 5 iron. This squares with where I was at when I went for the long game gapping fitting last Spring. I was pleased with the 9 wood dispersion pattern. All of the shots with that club drew a bit and flew very high.

As for the Wilsons I felt very comfortable with them. Nice and consistent. Love how they sound. Just very tight shot pattern.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

3 hours ago, greggarner said:

And yeah, absolutely no help on toe strikes. My i210 4i is ~200 off a tee.

Love that you guys are getting this level of detail out on these 👍.  Subtle characteristics that can be very important in deciding whether a particular club is worth a look.

• Like 3

Love that you guys are getting this level of detail out on these .  Subtle characteristics that can be very important in deciding whether a particular club is worth a look.

This is fascinating for me as well. I’ve always preferred my graphite shafts 1/2 to 1 inch longer than standard. The regular D7’s are standard length and I get some toe hits. I have the D7 forged at 1/2 longer than standard.

I hit 100 or so balls on the range today (it’s unlimited for me so I don’t know) and only had one off the toe.

I can only recall that one because it’s been mentioned frequently here. I also need had no chunks. A few thins but I hit a lot of good shots today. Unless it’s really thin I find that I’m getting away with it - generally a little left of target, lower ball flight and a bit short but long enough to catch a green or a fringe.

Tuesday I will be comparing PW and 9 iron on a par 3 course. I can play 7 of the 9 holes from the appropriate distance for that comparison.

• Like 5

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

4 minutes ago, revkev said:

This is fascinating for me as well. I’ve always preferred my graphite shafts 1/2 to 1 inch longer than standard. The regular D7’s are standard length and I get some toe hits. I have the D7 forged at 1/2 longer than standard.

I hit 100 or so balls on the range today (it’s unlimited for me so I don’t know) and only had one off the toe.

I can only recall that one because it’s been mentioned frequently here. I also need had no chunks. A few thins but I hit a lot of good shots today. Unless it’s really thin I find that I’m getting away with it - generally a little left of target, lower ball flight and a bit short but long enough to catch a green or a fringe.

Tuesday I will be comparing PW and 9 iron on a par 3 course. I can play 7 of the 9 holes from the appropriate distance for that comparison.

Lot's of discussion out there about club shafts simply being too long and are negatively impacting the ability to make consistent, sweet spot contact.  My fitting with a 7i ended up with my shafts +1".  I'm think that is hurting my 4i and 5i consistency.  I wish iron fittings included the long irons 😕.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Lot's of discussion out there about club shafts simply being too long and are negatively impacting the ability to make consistent, sweet spot contact.  My fitting with a 7i ended up with my shafts +1".  I'm think that is hurting my 4i and 5i consistency.  I wish iron fittings included the long irons 😕.

Truth. With how much different manufactures are promoting mixed sets, it's odd that you still have a really hard time finding a fitting that can let you find a mixed set. 

• Like 7

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

36 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Truth. With how much different manufactures are promoting mixed sets, it's odd that you still have a really hard time finding a fitting that can let you find a mixed set. 

I'm armed with way more knowledge since

Spoiler

image.png.267d461202a6b089153215c3704c8494.png

The discussion will be much different this time.

• Like 5