2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

Our Sponsors

3 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I'm using the shot tracer app :366083646_SmartSelect_20200917-071844_GooglePlayStore.jpg.f5e8143f404be734c2d9b1e3b8708d46.jpg

Cool, thank you.

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unnoficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Drivers :titelist-small:  - TS2 10.5*, :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Woods :titelist-small: TS2 3HL. :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes:a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we’re off!   Thanks so much to MGS and Wilson for selecting me to be a part of this test.   I do check the boxes for this one, older guy, lower handicap but handicap up some from peak season

First and as always, big appreciation to MGS for hosting the best golf forums on the internet. And a big shout out to Wilson Golf for getting involved.  I am really excited to put these clubs int

Let's get this party started! HUGE thanks to MGS and Wilson for this opportunity. This is my first-ever MGS review and I'm pretty anxious because I get so much value out of this site that I don't want

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Probably too early to know but do you suspect that (lower ball flight) more the lofts/CG or shafts?

I think it's CG-related, but very possible that it's a compounding issue and a little of both. My i210s were DG S300 hard-stepped, so not exactly a high launch/high spin shaft but I still got it up there. (And for reference, I used this chart since I was unable to get in for a proper fitting for this particular set.)

I plan on bringing both sets out at the same time and hitting a shot from each set from the same lie. I can't promise, but I'd love to figure out how to overlay those videos so you can see just how much higher my i210s fly, because when I say the D7s are lower, I don't mean a couple of feet. They are yards lower.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

45 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I think it's CG-related, but very possible that it's a compounding issue and a little of both. My i210s were DG S300 hard-stepped, so not exactly a high launch/high spin shaft but I still got it up there. (And for reference, I used this chart since I was unable to get in for a proper fitting for this particular set.)

I plan on bringing both sets out at the same time and hitting a shot from each set from the same lie. I can't promise, but I'd love to figure out how to overlay those videos so you can see just how much higher my i210s fly, because when I say the D7s are lower, I don't mean a couple of feet. They are yards lower.

Dang, that is quite a selection of shafts they offer!  Your tester reviews, combined with the #1 "most wanted" ranking by our MGS Hit Squad, may very well drive me to Club Champion for my full bag fitting (they carry Wilson).

To all the testers - what are your initial impressions of the "power slots"?  Aesthetically they aren't a plus for me... but if they are a big part of the "what makes em work" recipe, I can live with them.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

To all the testers - what are your initial impressions of the "power slots"?  Aesthetically they aren't a plus for me... but if they are a big part of the "what makes em work" recipe, I can live with them.

I can't say that I really have an opinion. They make the sole of the club look busy, if the club performed the same without them, I wouldn't add them. 

But, without able to hit a version of the club(not counting the gap wedge) with them and without them I can't tell you of they are marketing magic or true engineering ingenuity. And even then, it might take a launch monitor to show the difference. 

But as a package, I have no issue with them. They don't show at address, they don't make the sound /feel bad.  I'm willing to accept them as they are. 

• Like 6

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

2 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I can't say that I really have an opinion. They make the sole of the club look busy, if the club performed the same without them, I wouldn't add them. 

But, without able to hit a version of the club(not counting the gap wedge) with them and without them I can't tell you of they are marketing magic or true engineering ingenuity. And even then, it might take a launch monitor to show the difference. 

But as a package, I have no issue with them. They don't show at address, they don't make the sound /feel bad.  I'm willing to accept them as they are. 

Watching their YT videos with their principal design/market folks, they are more engineering than cosmetic.  That sort of makes sense - just another way to introduce magic goo into the clubface COR dynamics. They just make the bottom of club look busy when in the bag.

Going back to the Recoils, the chart @greggarnershared shows these as an upgrade?  Did they offer them as stock for the 7 set irons and only charge the upgrade if more than 7 irons... kind of confusing.  Thanks.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

What @Thin2win said, verbatim.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

45 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

They just make the bottom of club look busy when in the bag.

When walking with a push cart, it definitely doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to look down at all those power holes while traipsing to your next shot. Additionally, they are just ever-so-slightly recessed and do, unfortunately, collect a bit of dirt. Overall, my initial impression on the power holes specifically is pretty negative, but I fully admit it's vanity/ego on my part. In the bag, I think they look like GI clubs, but as others have noted, the designers have worked hard to hide the GI aspects at address, which I appreciate.

We'll see if I'm able to shelve my ego and just go on performance 😄

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* loft with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2-hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR Lo with stock KBS Hybrid 80g stiff
3i-PW: :ping-small: i210 blue dot, Power Spec, with TT S300 hard stepped
50*, 54*, and 58*: :mizuno-small: blue ion S18 with TT wedge
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

1 minute ago, greggarner said:

Additionally, they are just ever-so-slightly recessed and do, unfortunately, collect a bit of dirt.

One of the guys in Yuma has the D7's and that is what we noted as well.  I am one of those guys who keeps a wet towel on the bag and often wipes off my clubs after the shot... these might require two wet towels 🙂.  He likes them but was coming from a really old set of McGregor's he purchased at a garage sale, so the reference point is a wee bit weak.  I would have given them a try but someone put the heads on backwards.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Going back to the Recoils, the chart @greggarnershared shows these as an upgrade?  Did they offer them as stock for the 7 set irons and only charge the upgrade if more than 7 irons... kind of confusing.  Thanks.

yes, free for 7 irons,  ~$450 for 8 irons

• Like 2

WITB:

41 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I think they look like GI clubs, but as others have noted, the designers have worked hard to hide the GI aspects at address, which I appreciate.

I'd agree with this, the rest of the club looks very clean and I'd even say classic with the chrome finish. The power holes don't help the look of a players club where technology is normally hidden. And do give them the look of a GI club. That said, I play a Ping driver and turbulators are a much more "in-your-face" technology and I don't mind them. 

They do have that small indention, and do collect dirt, if they could have gotten that transition smoother, that would have been better. But from the performance perspective, I would say the package that Wilson has put together, is very good. 

• Like 7

WITB:

27 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

yes, free for 7 irons,  ~$450 for 8 irons

Looking for the head scratch emoji.

Scratching Head GIFs | Tenor

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

When walking with a push cart, it definitely doesn't inspire a lot of confidence to look down at all those power holes while traipsing to your next shot. Additionally, they are just ever-so-slightly recessed and do, unfortunately, collect a bit of dirt. Overall, my initial impression on the power holes specifically is pretty negative, but I fully admit it's vanity/ego on my part. In the bag, I think they look like GI clubs, but as others have noted, the designers have worked hard to hide the GI aspects at address, which I appreciate.

We'll see if I'm able to shelve my ego and just go on performance 😄

... I don't think it is ego as much as an annoyance. With so many really good irons out there right now, I get Wilson might need to do something to separate themselves from others. Having a bunch of unseemly slots that also gather dirt is just a deal breaker for me and I imagine quite a few others. That said, it will be interesting if the performance over rides the distraction. I am a Wilson fan so I hope that is the case. 👍

• Like 7

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

5 hours ago, greggarner said:

the D7s are a touch long and strong (and based on the spin I'm getting, they're definitely getting the friction on)

I see what you did there.  These babies definitely do have some back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

7 hours ago, MattF said:

What @Thin2win said, verbatim.

I'm having second thoughts now 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... I don't think it is ego as much as an annoyance. With so many really good irons out there right now, I get Wilson might need to do something to separate themselves from others. Having a bunch of unseemly slots that also gather dirt is just a deal breaker for me and I imagine quite a few others. That said, it will be interesting if the performance over rides the distraction. I am a Wilson fan so I hope that is the case. 👍

Interesting point Sam.  In looking at the cross-section view, the bulk of the magic goo mimics that of many competing mfg's/models.  Further, the area that the "power slots" occupy is very low on the clubface and not where one would want to be striking the ball... on a routine basis anyway. That area is not offering any trampoline effect; certainly not to any significant degree.  So this kind of brings us full circle to the idea that it may indeed be more cosmetic and something Wilson did to "separate themselves from others"....hmmm 🤔  

Buy Staff D7 Forged Iron - Steel by WILSON online - Wilson Australia

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

I am surprised at how wide the soles are on these irons. It seems to me that Wilson really made a GI club aimed at better players (little offset, forged goodies)

Wilson does a nice job in that department. I never thought the C300s were too big at all.

I did briefly have the regular D7s and they are definitely larger. These forged beauties look like the perfect size.

• Like 5

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.9 (Last Updated Oct. 25, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4", Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2", UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
5-GW:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2", KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / 
srixon.png.43e385967a8ed97dd1678520c0dc8ef3.png Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

4 minutes ago, edingc said:

Wilson does a nice job in that department. I never thought the C300s were too big at all.

I did briefly have the regular D7s and they are definitely larger. These forged beauties look like the perfect size.

I've still got the D7s in the bag, but I think I am on the same line of thought you are with these. If Goldilocks were a set of irons.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue 
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Interesting point Sam.  In looking at the cross-section view, the bulk of the magic goo mimics that of many competing mfg's/models.  Further, the area that the "power slots" occupy is very low on the clubface and not where one would want to be striking the ball... on a routine basis anyway. That area is not offering any trampoline effect; certainly not to any significant degree.  So this kind of brings us full circle to the idea that it may indeed be more cosmetic and something Wilson did to "separate themselves from others"....hmmm 🤔  

Buy Staff D7 Forged Iron - Steel by WILSON online - Wilson Australia

Taylormade has done a similar speed slot on a handful of irons going back almost a decade, I'm inclined to believe there is a real reason that manufacturers keep going back to it. If it is feel, or performance or both, there has to be a reason. 

• Like 4

WITB:

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Probably too early to know but do you suspect that (lower ball flight) more the lofts/CG or shafts?

I know you asked @greggarner and not me, but for me, my higher ball flight is most likely due to the shafts.  My fitter put the NS105 that I have in my F8s into the D7, and it performed almost identically to my F8.  Similar distance, similar height, similar dispersion.  The Recoils gave me more height and better dispersion with nearly the same distance in the fitting.  

• Like 6

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Taylormade has done a similar speed slot on a handful of irons going back almost a decade, I'm inclined to believe there is a real reason that manufacturers keep going back to it. If it is feel, or performance or both, there has to be a reason. 

... We are not talking about one speed slot line that is also flush with the sole like the P790's or new P770's. They have proven to help shots hit low on the face. We are talking about 3 separate and individual slots across the front instead of one and 2 more additional slots behind those. Now there might be a technical reason for 3 instead of one and if they really work who cares what the sole looks like, although getting dirt in them is hard to over look. It just seems like a move to separate themselves on the shelf, which is a real problems that OEM's, especially the smaller piece of the pie guys have to fight for.  

• Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5