TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Wilson D7 Forged Irons

GolfSpy MPR

IMG_2280.JPG

Here’s this mornings 7 iron dispersion pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMG_2280.thumb.JPG.7f97633fdc597654f7f89ef3d9c52a23.JPG

Um, yes please!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, revkev said:

IMG_2280.JPG

Pheww, that's not looking so good 😉How does that compare with your current 7i in both dispersion, distance and ball height?

Disregard, I found your prior post.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 9/22/2020 at 4:21 PM, Thin2win said:

Power holes testing:

Also out of yesterday's LM session, I have some thoughts on the power holes. I'm definitely a sweeper/picker of the ball, I rarely take a divot, and I tend to miss on the thin side. Going back and hitting my current set after a few weeks of not hitting them. The D7's feel much better on a thin hit. Some combination of Power Holes, Power Chamber and Recoil shaft has taken all the sting out of a thin shot. I didn't really notice it going to the D7's, but switching back for some LM data, it was very noticeable. That is a big plus in my book. 

Good stuff Chris. I too am a sweeper/grass clipper and only take shallow divots when I do. It stands to reason the slots would flex more so than a solid sole area.  They are actually doing that on the thinned shots or it could simply be the combination of the flubber and Recoil shafts.  Your testing of these shafts really has my attention as I'd love to move into composite shafts if possible.  So the BIG question is... do the D7's hit gutted balls long and straight? 😆

On 9/20/2020 at 7:12 PM, Thin2win said:

All that babble aside, if anyone has any questions for me in how the D7 Forged compare to Ping i200s or i500s, or Sub 70 639-CB or 699 Pros ask away.

I'm asking, I'm asking.  I recently spoke with Jason about the 699 Pros and he offered to build me a test club.  I haven't pulled that lever ... yet.  To be honest, my head is currently spinning with all the seasons club testing, my perceived, gut feel (whatever) that I'm not gaming the best arrows, and plans for a top notch bag fitting this winter.  All this from a guy who only a couple years ago was pretty sure PE2's and a Callway GBB driver were good enough.  Then I applied and was selected for the G410P driver. 

I should probably just take some deep breaths and see what the fitting results show. But I seem incapable of doing that.  This forum has ruined me.

3 hours ago, revkev said:

IMG_2280.JPG

Really need Rapsodo to finally release Android compatibility...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

7 hours ago, revkev said:

To be clear I don’t mean that I think the D7 forgeds “feel” better than the D7’s. A good hit is a good hit and a bad hit feels like a bad hit regardless to me. I can’t really tell the difference between forged or cast - never have been able to - I can tell you where I made contact and whether it was good or not.

I do know that this isn’t the case for some - I’m only speaking for myself.

Honestly, the line is so blurred between forged and cast these days that it hardly matters.  It's not like these are single-piece forgings.  These definitely sound different from my F8's (also forged faces), and according to the research, the better sound can make you think that they feel better.  Now, I'd be interested to have the Recoil shafts in my F8s to see how that changes the equation.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm asking, I'm asking.  I recently spoke with Jason about the 699 Pros and he offered to build me a test club.  I haven't pulled that lever ... yet.  To be honest, my head is currently spinning with all the seasons club testing, my perceived, gut feel (whatever) that I'm not gaming the best arrows, and plans for a top notch bag fitting this winter.  All this from a guy who only a couple years ago was pretty sure PE2's and a Callway GBB driver were good enough.  Then I applied and was selected for the G410P driver. 

I should probably just take some deep breaths and see what the fitting results show. But I seem incapable of doing that.  This forum has ruined me.

So... Yeah... The 699 Pros have some stellar reviews going on over in their forum. And they are worth giving a try, especially at their price point. If I were to recommend a Sub 70 item to you (and I guess that is what I'm doing), I'd look at the regular 699s. Just looking at most wanted, I think they faired better overall in testing(2019 player distance VS 2020 player distance). I know the metrics are slightly different, but comparing them to clubs that were in both tests, the regular 699s look to have a little more magic. 

Comparing the D7's, 699 Pro and i500 in the 5i is interesting. I like things about all of them. The feel on center strikes is good on all of them. Off center, the D7's feel the best, i500s feel (sound) the worst. At address, the i500s have the thinnest top line. Distance dispersion so far looks to be the best with the D7's, and worst with the i500s. That said, accuracy overall I'm best with the i500s and worst with the 699s.

I've been missing too the right with my 6i/5i in the D7, so going to adjust the lie on them to be 1 degree more upright to see if that solves it. If it does they will become the most accurate of the group based off their distance dispersion being so good. 

If I had $1 million riding on hitting a green at 5i range tomorrow, I'd hit the i500. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

So... Yeah... The 699 Pros have some stellar reviews going on over in their forum. And they are worth giving a try, especially at their price point. If I were to recommend a Sub 70 item to you (and I guess that is what I'm doing), I'd look at the regular 699s. Just looking at most wanted, I think they faired better overall in testing(2019 player distance VS 2020 player distance). I know the metrics are slightly different, but comparing them to clubs that were in both tests, the regular 699s look to have a little more magic. 
Comparing the D7's, 699 Pro and i500 in the 5i is interesting. I like things about all of them. The feel on center strikes is good on all of them. Off center, the D7's feel the best, i500s feel (sound) the worst. At address, the i500s have the thinnest top line. Distance dispersion so far looks to be the best with the D7's, and worst with the i500s. That said, accuracy overall I'm best with the i500s and worst with the 699s.
I've been missing too the right with my 6i/5i in the D7, so going to adjust the lie on them to be 1 degree more upright to see if that solves it. If it does they will become the most accurate of the group based off their distance dispersion being so good. 
If I had $1 million riding on hitting a green at 5i range tomorrow, I'd hit the i500. 

I’d hit my G410 9 wood. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Pheww, that's not looking so good How does that compare with your current 7i in both dispersion, distance and ball height? Disregard, I found your prior post.

I had a real pin at 138. I was into a 5 mph wind. It was very hot and humid even at 930 when I started - by 1030 when I finished the heat index was 100. All of my shots were past that pin on the fly.

Regardless of the distance irons are supposed to be accurate - you pull the club that you need.

So the only one of those shots that would have missed the green was the one that was far left. Everything else would have been putting.

And I’m dynamite at 3 putt avoidance so this type of dispersion would work for me.

But my avg launch angle was 17 degrees and ideally I’d like it to be 18.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Now, I'd be interested to have the Recoil shafts in my F8s to see how that changes the equation.

Wouldn't be great if everything shaft to club head was modular, mix and match, plug and play, like at the fitters?  I'm sure all the OEM's are talking regularly about making this happen... yea, right.

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wouldn't be great if everything shaft to club head was modular, mix and match, plug and play, like at the fitters?  I'm sure all the OEM's are talking regularly about making this happen... yea, right.

Yeah something like club connex but a bit less bulky would be great for us. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Ah em. Tracked right at the flag and was about 11' past.

1879819677_Screenshot2020-09-2608_37_01.png.57c806121f5479d6190f77f2ad00ab68.png

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

8 hours ago, revkev said:

Regardless of the distance irons are supposed to be accurate - you pull the club that you need.

Yea I get that, but we also know that being able to pull a 5i vs. a 4i or 8i vs. a 7i improves our accuracy; and overall hit-ability for most players.  This is what makes the PD category irons of interest to me.  My G410's bought me roughly 1/2 to 1 club length is distance gain with no loss in dispersion. I'm hoping there is a PD iron that will offer a little more distance and no loss in accuracy. I'm about to embark in a test with some used player category irons to see just how far towards that end of the spectrum I can play.  

Yea I get that, but we also know that being able to pull a 5i vs. a 4i or 8i vs. a 7i improves our accuracy; and overall hit-ability for most players.  This is what makes the PD category irons of interest to me.  My G410's bought me roughly 1/2 to 1 club length is distance gain with no loss in dispersion. I'm hoping there is a PD iron that will offer a little more distance and no loss in accuracy. I'm about to embark in a test with some used player category irons to see just how far towards that end of the spectrum I can play.  

Valid point and I get it. The G30’s are not distance irons but I actually hit them as long or longer than the D7’s that are. I’m sure the reason is that little extra loft. The lofts on the D7 forged are nearly identical to my G30’s. My eye certainly prefers the look of the D7 forged - smaller head, thinner top line, less offset.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

14 hours ago, revkev said:

I’d hit my G410 9 wood. 🙂

So now I'm curious, when do you use a mid iron if you are rocking a 9 wood? 

Edited by Thin2win
I can't spell.

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

15 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Just to be clear, I'd whiff entirely. So the money would be safe. 

WITB:

3 hours ago, revkev said:

Valid point and I get it. The G30’s are not distance irons but I actually hit them as long or longer than the D7’s that are. I’m sure the reason is that little extra loft. The lofts on the D7 forged are nearly identical to my G30’s. My eye certainly prefers the look of the D7 forged - smaller head, thinner top line, less offset.

Plus there is the psychological factor/advantage of having "forged" stamped on the club 👍.  I just ordered a used copy of Tom Wishon's "The Search for the Perfect Golf Iron".  I know how the story ends but I'd like to know more about how the sausage is made.

15 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Yea, you hit those very well... which set's a solid "in the clubhouse score" for the D7's to beat.

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That is exactly my thinking when I got my I500s. Since I am not bombing the ball out there I'll take the extra distance 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

This has been an enjoyable one to follow and I thought now this would be a sweet testing opportunity. These irons looked SO SO good when Wilson introduced them to their line. 

On first glance they look like they’d fit a mid-handicapper quite well based on how the D line has positioned themselves in the past.  I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to hear the better players say these are spot on as their choice for a lower single digit player. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

That is exactly my thinking when I got my I500s. Since I am not bombing the ball out there I'll take the extra distance 

I hit the i500's a couple of times at PING demos this past winter and liked them. Of course it was a 7i and I have no idea how the long sticks might compare to my G410s, but I was getting about 6 yards more distance.  I started looking for a good used set with my specs but then came the flood of MGS Official Tests which has included some great PD irons.  With so many now being offered by the various OEM's (including the D7 Forged), I'm trying to take my time and really research this thoroughly. 

1 hour ago, Thin2win said:

So now I'm curious, when do you use a mid iron if you are rocking a 9 wood? 

Right now, when I would normally use my 9 wood because we are doing this test.  Normally the longest iron that I game is 6. 🙂

This week I intend to do 9 iron v. 9 iron as well as 5 iron v. 9 wood on the Rapsodo.  I am surprised at how well I am hitting the D7 forged 4 and 5 iron.  Having written that I don't believe that I hit them close to as well as I do my 9 wood and 7 wood that they are currently replacing.  Since I really only hit 13 clubs I could see having the 4 iron in the bag for shots into the wind - I regularly play a number of par 3's where that club could really come in handy as the 7 wood can be fairly difficult to flight down.

This of course is no fault of the irons.  I haven't gamed 5 iron on a regular basis in 12 years, 4 iron in 15 years.  I was a 1 handicapper playing from the tips in league and not gaming a 5 iron (5 hybrid instead.)  I have a shallow AoA.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

53 minutes ago, bens197 said:

This has been an enjoyable one to follow and I thought now this would be a sweet testing opportunity. These irons looked SO SO good when Wilson introduced them to their line. 

On first glance they look like they’d fit a mid-handicapper quite well based on how the D line has positioned themselves in the past.  I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to hear the better players say these are spot on as their choice for a lower single digit player. 

I think it's going to depend on how the single digit player gets there.  Some may prefer those Hogans that you are testing - those are gamier still but I don't think they have quite the same forgiveness as these.  If a guy likes to work the ball these may not be his cup of tea because they don't spin as much.  But if he's like me and he makes his score by getting it in the fairway, on the green, two putting or up and down for par and moving on - I think these may be the ticket. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

I think it's going to depend on how the single digit player gets there.  Some may prefer those Hogans that you are testing - those are gamier still but I don't think they have quite the same forgiveness as these.  If a guy likes to work the ball these may not be his cup of tea because they don't spin as much.  But if he's like me and he makes his score by getting it in the fairway, on the green, two putting or up and down for par and moving on - I think these may be the ticket. 

Honestly, if my review stopped today, that's exactly where I'm at. I had the world's most frustrating 82 today after hitting the ball better than I have in a couple weeks and just being unable to dial in to the flag. Left a 5i 20 yards short from 178, hit a 123 yard 9i on the next hole, and then a 160 yard 8i on the next. After rocketing a 140 yard 9i 2 holes later (well over the green), my playing partners even commented, "sometimes your ballflight looks just completely different from one shot to the next." And normally, I would be perfectly comfortable knowing that it was me making the changes. Today that was not the case. I'm not sure if I was having compression issues, if my posture was collapsing at impact, or what. Very frustrating.

I know I raved about dispersion earlier this week, but today was certainly not a good example of that. (But I suppose that's why these tests are not just hitting some shots in a bay and instead take place over a few weeks.)

</grump>

I have noticed more and more than while I can work these irons, they certainly prefer to go straight or bending just a couple yards one way or the other. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I have not hit a single ball that is aggressively offline due to spin whereas my i210s have a tendency to snap some if I'm not careful. I had a number of shots today off a sidehill that I tried to let the hill influence the flight and it just didn't. Notably I hit a 6i, ball about 3" above my feet, from 175 uphill to a front left flag guarded by bunkers. I crushed it. High, towering flight. Absolutely straight as an arrow off the back-right/center of the green. In my i210s, I would've hit 5i and probably missed left...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Too early to say you’ll game them?

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

43 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

2 stroke penalty for baiting the "play it or trade it" decision 😁

501db7cfc23b1b15cc4fae8cebbbc359_square_fullsize.jpg.3397f71b38b59af70d0fd19f5ab4efba.jpg

D90722FB-5DB5-437A-9313-B517C8BF945F.gif

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

3 hours ago, greggarner said:

I have noticed more and more than while I can work these irons, they certainly prefer to go straight or bending just a couple yards one way or the other. I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I have not hit a single ball that is aggressively offline due to spin whereas my i210s have a tendency to snap some if I'm not careful. I had a number of shots today off a sidehill that I tried to let the hill influence the flight and it just didn't. Notably I hit a 6i, ball about 3" above my feet, from 175 uphill to a front left flag guarded by bunkers. I crushed it. High, towering flight. Absolutely straight as an arrow off the back-right/center of the green. In my i210s, I would've hit 5i and probably missed left...

As for my experience with straightness /workability and the D7's. They are more inclined to go straight in the short - mid irons than I've had before. For the last 3 years I've  played a players iron in the short - mid range and a PD club in the long irons. And for those last 3 years, my i500 5i had been my favorite iron. I've always wondered if I would have been better to just go full i500s. So this test has been perfect for me. 

For me, I'm happy to take straight and accurate over the ability to curve it 30y around a tree. From testing, and some videos I posted, I can definitely work these both directions as needed. But as @greggarner mentioned, they like to go straight. It is nice that on a poorly struck shot they hold their line better than I'm used to.

I know looking at the D7 results from Most Wanted testing they were the highest rated clubs in the short to mid iron range, I'm seeing that. I can easily put a 10 shot group within a few yards of each other with everything up to a 7i. 

WITB:

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I hit the i500's a couple of times at PING demos this past winter and liked them. Of course it was a 7i and I have no idea how the long sticks might compare to my G410s, but I was getting about 6 yards more distance.  I started looking for a good used set with my specs but then came the flood of MGS Official Tests which has included some great PD irons.  With so many now being offered by the various OEM's (including the D7 Forged), I'm trying to take my time and really research this thoroughly. 

There are some other great offering out there now for sure. Hope you find the one that works best for you. As for the I500 long irons they are still forgiving for their size, though likely a bit harder to hit then the G410.