Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Should I be worried about having a low spin rate if I launch the ball high?

I went to my first iron fitting since I started playing golf and my current clubs launch a 22 degrees and have a spin rate of 6800 rpm for a 7 iron the shaft that he fit me for brought me down to 4800 rpm while I still kept my launch at 22 degrees. I’ve been seeing some videos about what 7 iron spin-rates are and got worried that I got fit for a shaft that is too low spinning. Should I try making a mechanical change to my swing to bring the launch down or stick with the lower spinning shaft?

Only getting out on a course will answer that question.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Sprite_4 said:

I went to my first iron fitting since I started playing golf and my current clubs launch a 22 degrees and have a spin rate of 6800 rpm for a 7 iron the shaft that he fit me for brought me down to 4800 rpm while I still kept my launch at 22 degrees. I’ve been seeing some videos about what 7 iron spin-rates are and got worried that I got fit for a shaft that is too low spinning. Should I try making a mechanical change to my swing to bring the launch down or stick with the lower spinning shaft?

This is the same club but with a different shaft?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

Only getting out on a course will answer that question.  

I agree with @cnosil, numbers are better in context.  Also, It might also be useful to look at your descent angle.  And for the sake of beating a dead horse, maybe a lower spin rate does end up decreasing stopping power, but, what if it helps straighten out a hook or slice?  Maybe the reduced spin helps keep a shorter iron in your hand on longer courses.  Play some rounds, and if you find you arnt holding any greens and it's detrimental to your scoring and enjoyment, then it might  be time to question your fitter.  But I'd be hesitant to chase trackman numbers based on what is optimal for  pros or high level golfers.

Edited by Perrymr
spelling error

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

The head change is most likely playing the biggest role in the spin reduction. A shaft isn't going to change spin by 2000 rpm. That's only coming through a head change with a lower CG and less loft.

Should you be concerned about the spin rate? As cnosil said, you'll need to see how the clubs perform on the course, but in general, I would say no. Most clubs in the category of P790, i500 and bigger are designed to do exactly that. Launch high and spin low. With that spin rate on a 7 iron, the most important thing to consider is the descent angle. If your descent angle is high enough, you'll have no trouble stopping that 7 iron in a similar distance, or maybe even better, to your original club which spun 2000 rpms more but likely had a much flatter descent angle.

No my original clubs were the callaway xr but the ones I swung with the new shaft were the ping i500 and the taylormade p790 he said both heads fit me well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

If you’re launching it at 22 degrees, I wouldn’t expect you to have too much trouble landing softly. However, with spin rates being that low, I would worry more about fliers and consistency than stopping the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Have you picked up distance and/or improved dispersion noticeably?  If you've done either/both and can stop the ball on real greens, then you should be good to go.  If your dispersion circles are getting bigger, that's an issue.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, Sprite_4 said:

I doubt a shaft change of equal weight would affect spin by 2000 rpms. 

I couple things come to mind that might, might, be contributing to spin. 

One, the head design of the XR is an oversized cavity back game improvement club designed with wide sole to help launch the ball. The other two heads are designed as players distance clubs with hot faces for extra ball speed. The way they interact with the turf differently has me wondering if impact location in the face is optimised? I am thinking not - maybe hitting a little too high on the face of the new clubs due to less bounce and a narrower sole but, that is just a guess. 

Two, shaft weight, length, and lie can all affect timing and impact. The new shaft, still guessing here, is probably different enough to affect your timing. It might just need some time swinging to remedy or it could be a poor fit. If you feel like you can swing away and make clean contact consistently then it is a good fit. However, if you have to slow down just to find the sweet spot then the shaft might be wrong for your tempo. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg