Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Help bringing my game to the next level

A brief background, I currently play between 0-10 over par on courses (I have no home course).  It feels like I have a smoother swing and transition.  I play Cobra Flyz+ throughout most of my bag.  So I have little offset in irons and weaker lofts; 7-iron =33, PW=45.  Driver=260-270 total, 7 iron 155; PW=120 so I suspect my ss is ~100 mph with driver based on charts I have seen.  Current bag set-up Driver, tour-green S, 3 wood (15) tour-blue S, flex slot, 4-GW flyz+ with KBSR+; 54 and 60 Cobra PuR wedges with KBSR+ and High Rev 2.0.  Flex slot is fly z hybrid (22) tour blue S or set 3 iron (20) or forged tech utility 2 iron (17), project X catalyst S.  Putter is Odyssey Rossie white hot 2.0 or a bobby grace iceman (moderate toe hang).  My clubs have not been "fit" to me, but shot dispersion and distance appear consistent to me.

2 years ago after I started striking the ball very consistently, I got range finder, that has really helped me fill out my bag in terms of clubs and pinning down my distance.  This probably also dropped 5 strokes off my game.  I also feel like I am set on my base swing with a straight shot shape as my go to for all clubs.  This year I started tracking GIR (11-14 a round) and FIR (8-10), so I think I am ready to take the next step in my game, I am just not exactly sure what to do.

Some issues that jump out:

1) Poor putting. 2 or 3 putting from within 15 feet is hard to swallow.  I can typically chip closer.  I miss both left and right and tend to leave things short.  I have a SBST stroke or a try, and prefer the feel of a mid mallet with a standard size pistol grip.  I am indifferent to toe hang (I also have a #9 that I rarely use).  I would like to try a SAM fitting, but the nearest fitters a a few hours away and COVID makes things difficult.

2) Generally I stay out of trouble and feel like I have good course/shot management, but I do not know how to hit a proper fade/draw (I cannot seem to understand online instruction).  I can control trajectory a bit better at least on irons.

So my questions for the community are suggestions on addressing putting (at least in the meantime) and how to hit the fade/draw?  A stinger would be nice off the tee as well, I cannot seem to get this one down.  If anyone else has suggestions or things to consider in my progression to scratch I would love to hear (again consistent lessons are out of the question due to my remote location).

1 hour ago, blackyatx said:

Some issues that jump out:

1) Poor putting. 2 or 3 putting from within 15 feet is hard to swallow.  I can typically chip closer.  I miss both left and right and tend to leave things short.  I have a SBST stroke or a try, and prefer the feel of a mid mallet with a standard size pistol grip.  I am indifferent to toe hang (I also have a #9 that I rarely use).  I would like to try a SAM fitting, but the nearest fitters a a few hours away and COVID makes things difficult.

2) Generally I stay out of trouble and feel like I have good course/shot management, but I do not know how to hit a proper fade/draw (I cannot seem to understand online instruction).  I can control trajectory a bit better at least on irons.

So my questions for the community are suggestions on addressing putting (at least in the meantime) and how to hit the fade/draw?  

3 putting from 15 feet is bad,  2 putting from 15 feet isn't.  See the instagram post below for make percentages for the best player in the world....8 feet is the 50% mark.   Putt through gates to control face at impact and work on distance control to improve your putting. 

Not that you need to work the ball to be a good golfer but learn the ball flight laws.  Start with hitting big hooks and slices and then try to reduce the curve.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would start with the putting for sure. Get a flat metal yardstick and practice rolling the ball down the yardstiick. If you can get this dialed in then you need to work on reading the putt and distance control.  I also had issues with slight misses left or right without a predominant miss left or right. I changed my grip to a mid sized SuperStroke and it straightened out my putts. I also have a SBST stroke. The larger grip helps reduce grip pressure.

For the fade or draw the best advise comes from Anika Sorenstam. Swing in the direction  you want the ball to start out on but align your club face with the target. Very simple but works every time. I can do this but I prefer to just hit a straight ball. If you have your drives in the center of the fairway then you should theoretically have another straight shot into the green. 

Good luck on your journey.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...