TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge Bending

Andyrew

Hi All,

I currently play my gap, sand, and lob wedges at 50, 54, 58 and am looking to replace the set as it's about that time. I'd like to add a 60 to help with getting the ball get a bit more airborne on chip/pitch shots where I don't have much green to work with or need to carry it over something. In order to maintain even gapping between them, I'm planning to get either a 54 and have it bent to 55 or a 56 and have it bent to 55. I understand that bending strong decreases bounce and vice versa.

Has anyone done either of these and noticed any differences in offset and if the club face sits more open/closed?

• 3 weeks later...

1* of bending is very small and seemingly insignificant to change the offset. 

Also, it won't change the carry much either unless 2 yards at a full swing is crucial. 

I play a 54* high bounce to a 60* with low bounce and don't miss any specific gapping. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Would you consider bending the all of your wedges 1 degree strong first?  5 degrees between each?  I’m sure there are clubs with trail wedges you could try first. 
Best of luck.  

Murds...Alberta, Canada.  

No longer do I use blades.

Prefer a 5 wood over a hybrid

Double Hip Replacement 

Supporter of continuous putting...mark it once, clean it, finish it  

Golf needs to be fun and enjoyable, but still maintain etiquette.   

No sunflower seeds please !

On 8/13/2020 at 9:24 PM, Andyrew said:

Hi All,

I currently play my gap, sand, and lob wedges at 50, 54, 58 and am looking to replace the set as it's about that time. I'd like to add a 60 to help with getting the ball get a bit more airborne on chip/pitch shots where I don't have much green to work with or need to carry it over something. In order to maintain even gapping between them, I'm planning to get either a 54 and have it bent to 55 or a 56 and have it bent to 55. I understand that bending strong decreases bounce and vice versa.

Has anyone done either of these and noticed any differences in offset and if the club face sits more open/closed?

I've got a 56* that I play at 55*, I've noticed no issues whatsoever.  I also would have zero issue with taking a 54* and bending it to 55*.  Or bending that 56* from 55* to 57*, if that's what I needed.

As for open/closed, irons don't have a face angle the way drivers/fwys/hybrids do, the sole can make them flop around in either direction by holding the club with higher or lower hands.  I wouldn't worry about this for a wedge.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...