TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tommy Armour 845 Max irons ‑ (graphite)

ole gray

Has anyone tried the TA 845 Max irons with graphite shafts?  I'm looking at SGI irons with graphite shafts that won't break the bank. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Has anyone tried the TA 845 Max irons with graphite shafts?  I'm looking at SGI irons with graphite shafts that won't break the bank. 

I would recommend checking out The Golfworks if you are willing to try something that is not from one of the major OEMs. Their Maltby clubs are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

I picked up a set of these bad boys today and will be adding a few thoughts as we become acquainted.  I can tell ya right now, the butts on these rascals are near Cleveland HB size which I enjoyed to the max. 

Cleveland

53 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Why'd ya move on from the hbs?

I hit em so well, I thought I was better than them, not good.......   Plus they took up a heap of room in the sack.   The 845's are nicer looking and have more of an iron look than hybrid so we'll see how long these dawgs bark. 

Cleveland

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

If they're anything like the Atomics, you'll enjoy them! Tommy Armour has been putting out some good product lately and the new 845 like looks nice. 

Yea the Atomics were hotter than a fireball laced with pecker pepper!

Cleveland

25 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I hit em so well, I thought I was better than them, not good.......   Plus they took up a heap of room in the sack.   The 845's are nicer looking and have more of an iron look than hybrid so we'll see how long these dawgs bark. 

Keep those near ya you ain't getting younger lol

2 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Keep those near ya you ain't getting younger lol

You got that right!  I'm hitting the big ole 70 in November.  My swing speed is going down quicker than a skinny cork with a shark on the line... 😳

Cleveland

Y’know that’s the main thing that’s kept me from the HBs and other irons like that - the hybrid look. I just don’t get along with ‘em so I worry a hybrid type iron would get in my head. My game definitely needs a club like that, though.

Enjoy the new sticks!

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Y’know that’s the main thing that’s kept me from the HBs and other irons like that - the hybrid look. I just don’t get along with ‘em so I worry a hybrid type iron would get in my head. My game definitely needs a club like that, though.

Enjoy the new sticks!

The 5 iron in this set has some junk in the trunk but not enough to cause concern imo.  What it does look like is it will be extremely easy to whack the heck out of a ball. Giving these puppies their maiden voyage Tuesday morning in our weekly dogfight so they will be under the gun early.  

Cleveland

Enjoy the new sticks!

I have some of the Tour Edge Hot Launch ironwoods - 4, 5 and 6 iron. They are similar to the Launchers. Then traditional irons after that. It took a while to get used to the look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

9 hours ago, tehuti said:

I have some of the Tour Edge Hot Launch ironwoods - 4, 5 and 6 iron. They are similar to the Launchers. Then traditional irons after that. It took a while to get used to the look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't mind big irons, as you can tell from my sig file 🙂 But I've always had a love/hate relationship with hybrids, and played some Cleveland Altitudes in the 4/5/6 spots, much like your setup. I had very little confidence in them, which is why trying something like the HB Turbos or Ironwoods hasn't happened for me (yet). I know that they'd be perfect for my game (or lack thereof) if I was comfortable with them... so I get why OG wanted to try out the TA 845 Max over the HBs for sure. 

OMG!  Put these in play this morning with zero range time. Hit a total of four fairways with my driver today. It's been awful lately and a month ago  I was money with it!   Shot 85 today with no tee game, constantly chipping back into the fairway from left side and a couple of three jacks.  These irons feel oh so soft! The ball soars nice and high and then lands like a butterfly with sore feet. I mean seriously they honestly blew my mind all day long. 😮

Cleveland

Ok guys a couple of thoughts on these bad boys. I may be losing a bit of distance vs the Cally X Rogue irons however I'm not convinced it's enough to stand out.  A few more rounds playing shots from similar locations will answer that question.  I know the Rogues have stronger lofts so for the  TA irons to hang even close to them is impressive. The TA irons are extremely easy to hit a high trajectory and not lose much distance if any in the process. My Cally irons have a C8 swingweight and my TA irons have a D1 and the interesting thing is the TA have graphite shafts. Speaking of graphite I love what I'm feeling with these irons and the soft feel of the heads is incredible.  For you guys who like feedback you won't get much with these irons.  I actually prefer that because I get my feedback from the direction the frigging ball is heading. I also know when you do miss outside the sweet zone you suffer only minor loss in distance.   No bone jarring false teeth displacement occurs on mishits. They are not bullet proof  as a bad swing definitely produces bad results.  Just not as bad as a hacker like me would experience with a set of players irons. With that said at this stage of my life I'm not looking for feedback, I'm looking for having fun with my buddies. I'm looking for a set of irons more forgiving than when Aunt Gertrude whacked Uncle Ben up side the head with a frying pan. If you're serious about becoming a low capper needing feedback, workability, and thin toplines skip over these puppies.  The topline is not as thick as the Cleveland HB irons however they have enough up there to actually be comforting for us less skilled aging ole farts.  More to come as I have a few more rounds in the sack with this hawt chick!

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

Update  September 2020 --  I love em and I'm within a gnat's arse of selling the Callaway Rogue X irons.   Either sell the Callys or keep em as a backup set because the TA MAX irons are  keepers. I've never gamed a iron that wants to go so straight.  I have tried really hard to think of some negatives to share with you all however these irons keeping performing to the max (get it 😉).  If you are having trouble elevating your irons off the ground or tee, you need to head over to Dick's and get on their machine.   I guess hitting a nice high ball that lands like a butterfly with sore feet might not appeal to some however I love em like a good ole peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  🥰  Hmmmmm good Aunt Bee!  A question some might have is can I flight them down for shots that need more of  boring trajectory? Yes sir buddy!  Slide that ball back a bit and shorten that swing for a nice little knock down shot. The only thing I changed were the grips to midsize. I love the graphite recoil shafts and the iron heads are very comforting to me. These irons set up behind the ball begging you to allow them to whack the heck out of em.  

Cleveland

Glad to hear they’re still working for you OG!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, may have to give these a look. Do they do custom fittings?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson