TESTERS WANTED! ×

Precision Pro Rangefinders

Jhigdon13

Good morning all,

Last weekend I left my rangefinder on the course and it was not turned in, so yesterday I purchased the Precision Pro NX2 as a replacement. I had an older Bushnell before. I have read the articles on here ranking rangefinders, so I was confident in this purchase, but was curious if anyone here has the model I purchased? If so curious what your thoughts are on it? Playing in a tournament this weekend so had to bite the bullet and purchase haha

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Good morning all,

Last weekend I left my rangefinder on the course and it was not turned in, so yesterday I purchased the Precision Pro NX2 as a replacement. I had an older Bushnell before. I have read the articles on here ranking rangefinders, so I was confident in this purchase, but was curious if anyone here has the model I purchased? If so curious what your thoughts are on it? Playing in a tournament this weekend so had to bite the bullet and purchase haha

Not familiar with he 2. I've had the NX 7 Pro and currently have the HD. Both are very accurate and quickly pick up the pin. Best feature is the customer service which I would rank as outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I just bought the NX7 as I did the same thing leaving my Nikon at the course. They are highly rated and great reveiws in other places too. It's supposed to show Wednesday and I'm playing Thursday so fingers crossed. And hopefully I have good news to report on Thursday afternoon.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

23 hours ago, Jhigdon13 said:

Good morning all,

I just picked up the NX7 (non-slope) a few weeks back, so I'd love to hear how it goes for you. I've not owned a rangefinder before (they weren't that common/affordable when I was in college playing competitively and I definitely couldn't afford one on a teacher's salary). For the NX7, the display is clear and crisp and other than my shaky hands, pretty easy to use. No frills, just the crosshairs and a + to aim at the flag and yardage displayed in the corner. When I lock onto the pin, it's quick and accurate. Couple of things to watch out for:

• If you play courses where the green will be surrounded by trees (basically all of them in central NC), it's remarkably easy to get a vibration lock and a yardage that is clearly wrong. It took me quite a while to realize it wasn't picking up the flag, but the trees behind the green. I'm a slow learner... The site recommends "sweeping" so that it can pick up the flag, but that did not work for me. At all. This is my least favorite thing about this rangefinder: I often need to shoot 5 or 6 times to get the flag itself.
    • Pro tip: if playing into a group ahead of you, it picks up players standing near the hole very well.
  • Probably just me, but I frequently find myself holding it with the carry strap tucked under (I don't like it hanging down on my face) and occasionally it blocks the laser. The rangefinder doesn't display an error or anything, it just doesn't give you a yardage. This also took me a few rounds to figure out.
  • The battery door is pretty finicky. Took me a few tries to get it back on.

I'm not sure how much of these issues apply to other rangefinders (all of them, I'm sure) but they were part of my learning curve. YMMV.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Not familiar with he 2. I've had the NX 7 Pro and currently have the HD. Both are very accurate and quickly pick up the pin. Best feature is the customer service which I would rank as outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I think the 2 is a new model so I am excited to try it out. I have heard nothing but great things about customer service and the free batteries for life is great too. Looking forward to giving it a shot!

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero (Fujikara 62g Stiff Shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP63 (stock length & lie)
Wedges: Mizuno Blue T7 (60,56,52 degree)
Handicap: 7

I just bought the NX7 as I did the same thing leaving my Nikon at the course. They are highly rated and great reveiws in other places too. It's supposed to show Wednesday and I'm playing Thursday so fingers crossed. And hopefully I have good news to report on Thursday afternoon.

Take Dead Aim

Thanks for the feedback. I get mine Friday and am playing Saturday and Sunday so hopefully we both have a a great experience this week with them!

I just picked up the NX7 (non-slope) a few weeks back, so I'd love to hear how it goes for you. I've not owned a rangefinder before (they weren't that common/affordable when I was in college playing competitively and I definitely couldn't afford one on a teacher's salary). For the NX7, the display is clear and crisp and other than my shaky hands, pretty easy to use. No frills, just the crosshairs and a + to aim at the flag and yardage displayed in the corner. When I lock onto the pin, it's quick and accurate. Couple of things to watch out for:
  • If you play courses where the green will be surrounded by trees (basically all of them in central NC), it's remarkably easy to get a vibration lock and a yardage that is clearly wrong. It took me quite a while to realize it wasn't picking up the flag, but the trees behind the green. I'm a slow learner... The site recommends "sweeping" so that it can pick up the flag, but that did not work for me. At all. This is my least favorite thing about this rangefinder: I often need to shoot 5 or 6 times to get the flag itself.
    • Pro tip: if playing into a group ahead of you, it picks up players standing near the hole very well.
  • Probably just me, but I frequently find myself holding it with the carry strap tucked under (I don't like it hanging down on my face) and occasionally it blocks the laser. The rangefinder doesn't display an error or anything, it just doesn't give you a yardage. This also took me a few rounds to figure out.
  • The battery door is pretty finicky. Took me a few tries to get it back on.
I'm not sure how much of these issues apply to other rangefinders (all of them, I'm sure) but they were part of my learning curve. YMMV.

Thank you for all of this info Greg. All was really helpful. The one I left at the course was an older Bushnell and had some of those same issues from time to time, so I am excited to give this one a try and compare the 2. Thanks again! Playing this weekend so I will know soon enough haha

Just got the out for delivery notification on my phone, should have the NX7 this afternoon!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

A little unboxing goodness...20200818_154333.jpeg20200818_154338.jpeg20200818_154357.jpeg20200818_154401.jpeg20200818_154428.jpeg20200818_154538.jpeg

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Looks awesome! Got my NX2 in today and took it to the range. So far I love it. Picked up everything I shot and picked it up quickly. Very short sample but so far so good! Got a full weekend of golf ahead of me so we will see how it does on the course

Sorry to hear that the OP did not have his rangefinder turned in......but we know that any driver, fairway, hybrid, putter or wedge found on the course is usually not turned in.  While maybe there is a chance that a 7 or 9 iron will be as it doesn't fit into the finders bag in order.

When range finders first came around I bought a Bushnell 400 and used it for a while and then sold it to a buddy to buy another Bushnell ???? model.  After about a year it started to not display correctly so I called Bushnell.  I was told the warranty was only for a year but they would give me a 20% discount off suggested retail which brought the price down to the street value which translates into.....outa luck buddy!!!!!

I do some long range shooting and hunting and recently picked up a Vortex 1800 for around $425.  It functions up in the mountains and on the golf course with ease and the best thing about Vortex products ?????.......................lifetime warranty.  Check them out when shopping.

SIM2 Max Driver 10.5* Ventus 5-S

Cobra Rad Speed 3W 14.5* Evenflow Riptide CB Stiff

Ping G  4W 17.5* Ping Alta Reg

TM Ti  5W 19* Diamana FW 65 Reg

Titleist T-300 5-PW Amt Red Stiff

Vokey SM7 Wedges 46*  56*  60*

Ping Zing/Anser putter  85020/85029// TM Spider SR#9 Flo Neck

Titleist Pro V-1x 

I got to take it out on Thursday. It's pretty nice, and gave accurate yardages, including a decimal. It was a little odd having to push the button twice, once to activate and again on the target, but I'll get used to it. The vibration helps a ton to let you know it's locked on. Overall happy with the purchase. Note, you need to register the item online to activate the warranty and battery replacement.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Hello again all,

So I got the NX2 on Thursday and played 2 rounds over the weekend. To be quite honest, I was not a fan of this model’s performance. I had a LOT of trouble getting the correct yardages, and any time there was a tree or anything behind the flag it would give me that yardage. Often times even 100+ yards behind the flag. It does GREAT at giving distances to sand traps, front of greens, other trees, etc and ergonomically it was great. I still have faith in the precision pro brand, so I’m going to return this one and upgrade to a higher priced model to test it out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

3 hours ago, Jhigdon13 said:

Hello again all,

So I got the NX2 on Thursday and played 2 rounds over the weekend. To be quite honest, I was not a fan of this model’s performance. I had a LOT of trouble getting the correct yardages, and any time there was a tree or anything behind the flag it would give me that yardage. Often times even 100+ yards behind the flag. It does GREAT at giving distances to sand traps, front of greens, other trees, etc and ergonomically it was great. I still have faith in the precision pro brand, so I’m going to return this one and upgrade to a higher priced model to test it out.

I know it might be a pain but I wonder if steadying your hands against your bag or cart while measuring would help your readings with trees and things behind the flag? Things like that usually help me when looking down any type of scope.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Not sure about the NX2 - but the NX7 spotted the pin (vibrated) before my eye did (re: shaky hands). 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

To steady my rangefinder while on the course or out hunting/shooting I've started grabbing the bill of my hat'  if I'm not by a cart then it's grab a piece of the cart to steady. 

One time I was in a hurry and ranged what seemed like a 135-140 yard shot but kept getting readying of 160-170 and was dead sure on the flag..........................of the green behind the green I was playing.  I did hit the wrong club on that one.

Titleist Pro V-1x 

6 hours ago, Scotland blue said:

To steady my rangefinder while on the course or out hunting/shooting I've started grabbing the bill of my hat'  if I'm not by a cart then it's grab a piece of the cart to steady. 

One time I was in a hurry and ranged what seemed like a 135-140 yard shot but kept getting readying of 160-170 and was dead sure on the flag..........................of the green behind the green I was playing.  I did hit the wrong club on that one.

How was the shot to the second green though? lol

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

I know it might be a pain but I wonder if steadying your hands against your bag or cart while measuring would help your readings with trees and things behind the flag? Things like that usually help me when looking down any type of scope.

I actually did steady my hands against my cart and used two hands. I tried everything to be honest. I sometimes had to shoot the flag 8-10 times before it would give me the correct yardage. And with my last 2 rangefinders I’ve never had to steady my hands to get a yardage. All this said, I was not mad and am not trying to bash the product, it just wasn’t the performance I was wanting. I returned this model and have purchased the NX7 so I’m excited to try it out! I have faith in their products, just looking for the best fit.

Not sure about the NX2 - but the NX7 spotted the pin (vibrated) before my eye did (re: shaky hands). 

I am glad to hear this! I ended up swapping out the NX2 for the NX7 so I’ll be getting out on the course with it as soon as it arrives.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:25 AM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

How was the shot to the second green though? lol

Perfect....had about a 20 footer that I missed for the bird but got the par !!!!  Lesson learned.

Titleist Pro V-1x 

On the second round with the NX7, it had a lot more trouble picking up the flag. There were 3-5 holes I had to shoot the flag about a half dozen times to get it. Though I will say that this course has some landscaping and bushes close to the back of some greens. It's only 2 rounds so I'm going to keep going and I'm not overly concerned as lots of finders pick up trees.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned the NX7 non slope for over a year. I love it. Everything good that is said I agree. I tried my friends Leupold and could not get a reading. I am 68 years old with not the steadiest of hands. I was going to buy the Nikon with stabilization until I read a review of the NX7 and how easy it was to get the target. I tried it and have not looked back. It is fabulous. I play about 75 rounds a year and just got my free replacement batteries, no hassle. Great rangefinder and great company.

Mitchell Heller            

All lefty

Taylormade Stealth Plus - KBS TD 50 gram Regular flex. Sometimes Autoflex 405

Taylormade Stealth 3HL Fairway wood - Ventus Red Regular flex

Taylormade Stealth 4 and 5 hybrid Ventus Red Regular Flex

PXG 28 degree hybrid KBS TGI 70 Regular flex

Taylormade P790 6,7,8,9,P 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex

Taylormade MG3 50  and 54 degree 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex          Taylormade MG 60 degree - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Shaft

LAB MEZZ 1 putter

OnCore ELIXR 2020

I bought an NX7 Pro (slope) a couple months ago and it’s really useful, my first rangefinder, but it took a while to get the hang of it. The biggest challenge is avoiding picking up background. I glance at GPS first so I have some idea what the distance should be. I sweep the pin back and forth down low. If that doesn’t work, I sweep back and forth on the flag itself, that almost always works. I was on a course with yellow pins and lots of trees in the background Fri, which was tough - so it took a couple tries to get the distance. I have no idea if the big name brands at twice the cost work better. I do know using a rangefinder has saved me a couple strokes a round. GPS is dead on some times, but it’s as much as 20 yards off some times which is a BIG miss on approach shots. Best $219 I’ve spent on golf in a long time (thanks MGS).

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I bought an NX7 Pro (slope) a couple months ago and it’s really useful, my first rangefinder, but it took a while to get the hang of it. The biggest challenge is avoiding picking up background. I glance at GPS first so I have some idea what the distance should be. I sweep the pin back and forth down low. If that doesn’t work, I sweep back and forth on the flag itself, that almost always works. I was on a course with yellow pins and lots of trees in the background Fri, which was tough - so it took a couple tries to get the distance. I have no idea of the big name brands at twice the cost work better. I do know using a rangefinder has saved me a couple strokes a round. GPS is dead on some times, but it’s as much as 20 yards off some times which is a BIG miss on approach shots. Best $219 I’ve spent on golf in a long time (thanks MGS).

I thought I was the only person with this issue. I have used GolfLogix for years and bought this based on the recommendations. I still love it but getting used to mine,

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

12 hours ago, josmi15 said:

I thought I was the only person with this issue. I have used GolfLogix for years and bought this based on the recommendations. I still love it but getting used to mine,

I used to swear by GPS, and it’s all you need on some courses. But if the underlying course waypoint files aren’t right, the readings will be off. *** GPS was great on my old regular course, but way off on some holes on my now regular course. Now that I have both GPS and a rangefinder and play a new course almost every week, I see GPS isn’t consistent - even after accounting for pin positions. And I’ve found the GPS hazards feature can be misleading for hazards that are diagonal, e.g. a water hazard that’s 180 yds right and 240 yds left.

*** Not positive but I think most if not all GPS devices use third party course data files (e.g. Garmin > CourseView, Bushnell > iGolf, ? > GolfBert API), they aren’t proprietary to manufacturers or devices. GPS accuracy depends on how good your device is at picking up nearby satellites which does vary between makes/models BUT that doesn’t help if the underlying waypoint files aren’t accurate - some definitely aren’t.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I used to swear by GPS, and it’s all you need on some courses. But if the underlying course waypoint files aren’t right, the readings will be off. *** GPS was great on my old regular course, but way off on some holes on my now regular course. Now that I have both GPS and a rangefinder and play a new course almost every week, I see GPS isn’t consistent - even after accounting for pin positions. And I’ve found the GPS hazards feature can be misleading for hazards that are diagonal, e.g. a water hazard that’s 180 yds right and 240 yds left.
*** Not positive but I think most if not all GPS devices use third party course data files (e.g. Garmin > CourseView, Bushnell > iGolf, ? > GolfBert API), they aren’t proprietary to manufacturers or devices. GPS accuracy depends on how good your device is at picking up nearby satellites which does vary between makes/models BUT that doesn’t help if the underlying waypoint files aren’t accurate - some definitely aren’t.

I’ve noticed sometimes being off by 5 yards or more. That affects my club selection. Within 180 yards are my confidence yards. So if it reads 170, but my range finder shows 157. That’s a club difference. TBH, I’m not great at Golf, but I do want to beat my personal best each time out.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

14 minutes ago, josmi15 said:

I’ve noticed sometimes being off by 5 yards or more. That affects my club selection. Within 180 yards are my confidence yards. So if it reads 170, but my range finder shows 157. That’s a club difference. TBH, I’m not great at Golf, but I do want to beat my personal best each time out.

Not to belabor the point, but it’s course specific. My old regular course the GPS data must have been accurate as GPS was always right based on dozens of rounds there. I moved to another regular course a year ago, and some holes are spot on, some are 10 to 20 yards off, which makes approach shot club selection problematic. And I’ve noticed my GPS and rangefinder is off on some holes when I play other courses. And yes, I am taking pin position into account as GPS shows front, middle and back. You never know when GPS will be right or wrong or by how much...until after you hit.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 3 months later...

I'm bumping this because my battery died in my @PrecisionProGolfNexus rangefinder the other day, and I went onto their website and ordered a replacement battery.  I've had this product for several years now and still swear by it.  The lifetime battery replacement from the company is a huge difference to me.  Spot on laser with distance, and even better value of a product with the free battery replacement.  Probably the best club in my bag, as it never fails me.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS