TESTERS WANTED! ×

Help narrowing wedge search

Hi all, I am in the market for a new sub-PW wedge. I currently have a 15 year old Cleveland 56 degree raw and it's pretty warn. I need it for 80 yds and in, and i want it to be versatile as I'll use it out of bunkers and I frequently flop shots (though that's largely because I had to with a bald 56 degree). 

It seems there are as many grinds, bounces, etc. as there are colors. I'll likely get something in the 56-60 degree range and want it to be versatile - can hit square, out of bunker, and be opened. Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thanks! 

Some questions to help clarify. What sort of turf you see? Sand? How confident are you in your bunker play? What loft is your PW? Is there a brand you like more than others?

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

2 hours ago, Rchang said:

Some questions to help clarify. What sort of turf you see? Sand? How confident are you in your bunker play? What loft is your PW? Is there a brand you like more than others?

I live in Hawaii so I see everything from hard turf, to soft grass. The sand tends to be more hard. My PW is 45 degrees. I am not confident out of the bunkers at all, in large part because I simply haven't practiced in them much recently.

I like my Cleveland, but it has been so long since I bought a new wedge I don't have a brand loyalty. My irons are the new TM P790s. 

My favorites that may work well for you are the Cleveland Zipcore (Mid) and the Taylormade Milled Grind. Also the Vokey (M Grind) should be considered. 

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

Wedges are very personal; more so maybe than putters.  All of the major brands make good wedges, so part of the decision is which one catches your eye.  If you have trouble around the green and in bunkers, I would recommend choosing a wedge with C-grind sole.  My turf is quite firm and bunker sand varies from firm to fluffy.  I have also played in Hawaii (Maui).  I've had good luck with the 54º and 60º Callaway PM Grind.  The wide sole and high bounce makes shots out of bunkers easy, and the C-grind allows me to open it up for flop shots without blading the ball.  The high toe took some getting used to, as did the grooves all the way across the face but those grooves have saved me many shots on sidehill lies when I hit off the toe.  The TaylorMade Hi-Toe is very similar.  I would also consider Cleveland CBX2.  Personally, I find these types of wedges easier to play than tour-type wedges because I am not the best ball striker.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, drharps said:

I live in Hawaii so I see everything from hard turf, to soft grass. The sand tends to be more hard. My PW is 45 degrees. I am not confident out of the bunkers at all, in large part because I simply haven't practiced in them much recently.

I like my Cleveland, but it has been so long since I bought a new wedge I don't have a brand loyalty. My irons are the new TM P790s. 

You obviously have good ability to play wedges as yours are about ~11 deg apart / 45pw, 56sw. Many of us learned to play when there was only pw and sw. Today there are so many loft options to gap distance. So number one imo you should make sure your distances are gapped/covered as you need.

Regarding brands, I agree with @Kenny B posting above -- good info. IF you stay Cleveland I can't think of a better wedge deal for new Cleveland's than these: https://www.clevelandgolf.com/en/wedges-/rtx-4-tour-raw-wedge/MRTX4TR.html .

I suggest you consider like a 52 and 58 model  since your pw is 45 deg but you are capable of playing with wide gap in loft. Some people today think they have to play 4 deg apart for wedges but it really depends on half shots (what I call creativity shots, and/or full shots (there are many who will not take a full shot with a wedge so that drives more wedges in ones set). Personally I can play wide gaps in loft with my wedges as that is how I learned with only two wedges.

Others recommend Golfworks. I have built many and the benefit is you can get really dialed in with the shafts/weights and grip options.The linked wedges are really nice and from my experience durable: https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-m-series-wedges/p/ma0257/ . Again you can have these built with many different shafts and grips which might be of interest. Good luck in your search. 

If you can use 1 single wedge for all kinds of distances, I see no harm there.

However, I do believe there is no wonder wedge that can do everything. For example opening up for lob shots vs tons of bounce for fluffy sand. You'll eventually have to sacrifice one aspect to accommodate the other one.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

The Vokey wedges allow you to customize them for the conditions you play and swing type. Do some research on grind and bounce, and once you see what fits your swing and the type of turf or sand you play on, you can make the wedges that suit you best. I got my 50, 56 and 60 set and have been loving them. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

Thanks everyone for the help. 

I did learn with only a PW and a SW. Consequently I hit my PW comfortably from 150-75/80. I actually am far more comfortable hitting my PW 1/2 than hitting a SW full. 

I will likely eventually buy 2 wedges to fill needs. I want the 'jack of most trades' that can be opened and hit squarely, then maybe one for soft conditions. Initially, though, I want to buy that more versatile club and fill the void on what it can't do. 

Also consider the ping glides 3.0 and mizuno t20.  MGS and other places have shown what influences moisture has on wedge shots (spin and launch characteristics) with the ping and mizuno coming out of MGS testing for wet conditions.

Second for the RTX 4.  I tested these last year and they were just awesome!  They earned a permanent place in my bag! I came from Titleist SM wedges. 

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Check out the maltby wedges from golfworks. A few of us here use them and love them and they are very nicely priced 
Second that. The TSW is MONEY!!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 2 weeks later...

I buy my wedges from Golfworks. I have 6 or 7 Maltby clubs all fantastic. 

https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317/

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg