8 members have voted

1. 1. Which Driver should Alf Buy

• Cobra Speedzone
    • Callaway Maverik
    • Ping G410
    • Mizuno ST200
    • AN other

This poll is closed to new votes

Currently using the original Epic but also have a Cobra F9. The Epic is looking pretty battered after 3 years and has some issues with the lamination on the base so it is time for a new driver. I've been to two fitting days 

Callaway Maverik: Ended up the recommendation was the 10.5 Max Head with the Stiff Hzrd Smoke 60 (1 inch shorter)

Cobra SZ: 10.5 standard head with stiff Tensei Orange flash shaft.

Out of the 2 the Maverik looks favourite at the moment, I 'm just not convinced that I got anything extra from the SZ, while the Maverik gave me slightly more yds and dispersion was much better. In the meantime I've been to the range and worked on my driving a bit and now hitting the Epic a bit better but still prone to the odd high and right.

Today spending an hour with the Pro on Trackman and the Ping G410 and Mizuno ST200 c.f. Maverik. Hopefully if I get a good fit he'll let me out on the course with it, which is the true test.

I want to come away from the fitting thinking yeah that felt really good which the Maverik got halfway there but the SZ was more a Meh!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

For me it was the other way around. I also played the original Epic and went for the SZ in 9* with Aldila Rogue Silver.

Couldn't be happier with Cobra!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

9 hours ago, Kanoito said:

For me it was the other way around. I also played the original Epic and went for the SZ in 9* with Aldila Rogue Silver.

Couldn't be happier with Cobra!

I think a lot depends on the fitter the Cobra guy didn't impress me!

WIMB

13 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Currently using the original Epic but also have a Cobra F9. The Epic is looking pretty battered after 3 years and has some issues with the lamination on the base so it is time for a new driver. I've been to two fitting days 

Callaway Maverik: Ended up the recommendation was the 10.5 Max Head with the Stiff Hzrd Smoke 60 (1 inch shorter)

Cobra SZ: 10.5 standard head with stiff Tensei Orange flash shaft.

Out of the 2 the Maverik looks favourite at the moment, I 'm just not convinced that I got anything extra from the SZ, while the Maverik gave me slightly more yds and dispersion was much better. In the meantime I've been to the range and worked on my driving a bit and now hitting the Epic a bit better but still prone to the odd high and right.

Today spending an hour with the Pro on Trackman and the Ping G410 and Mizuno ST200 c.f. Maverik. Hopefully if I get a good fit he'll let me out on the course with it, which is the true test.

I want to come away from the fitting thinking yeah that felt really good which the Maverik got halfway there but the SZ was more a Meh!

I was looking for the All of The Above option, but didn't see it 🙂  Oh we're not talking about me...LOL

But seriously the MAVRIK is as good as advertised, and I have the SZ Extreme as well, it's very very good.  I could be totally happy with it, if I didn't have the MAVRIK.

And, I've been very very curious about the ST200 and can't promise it doesn't find a way into my try out bag as well! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Check out the Honma reviews in the next few weeks 😉. The TM Sim is pretty good too.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I was looking for the All of The Above option, but didn't see it 🙂  Oh we're not talking about me...LOL

But seriously the MAVRIK is as good as advertised, and I have the SZ Extreme as well, it's very very good.  I could be totally happy with it, if I didn't have the MAVRIK.

And, I've been very very curious about the ST200 and can't promise it doesn't find a way into my try out bag as well! 

I'll leave my update on the ST200 from today until more feedback.

WIMB

I'm going down the Maverik line, new driver ordered with Max 10.5 head, HZRD Smoke 60, 43.5" shaft -1" from std.

Fitting didn't show up anything better.

I tried the Mizuno ST200 and ST200G with similar shafts  to the Maverik and i was getting really low spin numbers, 2000 revs and the ball was going nowhere 15 to 20 yds behind both the SZ and Maverik. Deciding factor was dispersion numbers which were way down c.f. the SZ. 

The guy was using a GCquad which seemed to give more info on my swing and face contacted than I've seen on Trackman and basically highlighted the face at contact as well as angle of attack. Anyway the Maverik head delivery was 2' better over the piece, it also allows me to swap in my Fujikura 62 from my Epic if I want to go back to a longer shaft.

Bye For Now, Happy Golfing

WIMB

If you do not like the Cobra F9, why do you think you will like the Cobra SZ better?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

Why didn't we see the SIM as a consideration?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Have you considered saving a few $$$ and trying the Epic Flash. I tried Mavrik and the Epic Flash and found very little difference between the 2. They had the flash on special so I went with it. After 3-4 rounds I am very impressed.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001