Jump to content

New Driver Time  

8 members have voted

  1. 1. Which Driver should Alf Buy

    • Cobra Speedzone
      3
    • Callaway Maverik
      3
    • Ping G410
      1
    • Mizuno ST200
      0
    • AN other
      1

This poll is closed to new votes


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Currently using the original Epic but also have a Cobra F9. The Epic is looking pretty battered after 3 years and has some issues with the lamination on the base so it is time for a new driver. I've been to two fitting days 

Callaway Maverik: Ended up the recommendation was the 10.5 Max Head with the Stiff Hzrd Smoke 60 (1 inch shorter)

Cobra SZ: 10.5 standard head with stiff Tensei Orange flash shaft.

Out of the 2 the Maverik looks favourite at the moment, I 'm just not convinced that I got anything extra from the SZ, while the Maverik gave me slightly more yds and dispersion was much better. In the meantime I've been to the range and worked on my driving a bit and now hitting the Epic a bit better but still prone to the odd high and right.

Today spending an hour with the Pro on Trackman and the Ping G410 and Mizuno ST200 c.f. Maverik. Hopefully if I get a good fit he'll let me out on the course with it, which is the true test.

I want to come away from the fitting thinking yeah that felt really good which the Maverik got halfway there but the SZ was more a Meh!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it was the other way around. I also played the original Epic and went for the SZ in 9* with Aldila Rogue Silver.

Couldn't be happier with Cobra!

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kanoito said:

For me it was the other way around. I also played the original Epic and went for the SZ in 9* with Aldila Rogue Silver.

Couldn't be happier with Cobra!

I think a lot depends on the fitter the Cobra guy didn't impress me!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alf. S said:

Currently using the original Epic but also have a Cobra F9. The Epic is looking pretty battered after 3 years and has some issues with the lamination on the base so it is time for a new driver. I've been to two fitting days 

Callaway Maverik: Ended up the recommendation was the 10.5 Max Head with the Stiff Hzrd Smoke 60 (1 inch shorter)

Cobra SZ: 10.5 standard head with stiff Tensei Orange flash shaft.

Out of the 2 the Maverik looks favourite at the moment, I 'm just not convinced that I got anything extra from the SZ, while the Maverik gave me slightly more yds and dispersion was much better. In the meantime I've been to the range and worked on my driving a bit and now hitting the Epic a bit better but still prone to the odd high and right.

Today spending an hour with the Pro on Trackman and the Ping G410 and Mizuno ST200 c.f. Maverik. Hopefully if I get a good fit he'll let me out on the course with it, which is the true test.

I want to come away from the fitting thinking yeah that felt really good which the Maverik got halfway there but the SZ was more a Meh!

I was looking for the All of The Above option, but didn't see it 🙂  Oh we're not talking about me...LOL

But seriously the MAVRIK is as good as advertised, and I have the SZ Extreme as well, it's very very good.  I could be totally happy with it, if I didn't have the MAVRIK.

And, I've been very very curious about the ST200 and can't promise it doesn't find a way into my try out bag as well! 

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out the Honma reviews in the next few weeks 😉. The TM Sim is pretty good too.

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I was looking for the All of The Above option, but didn't see it 🙂  Oh we're not talking about me...LOL

But seriously the MAVRIK is as good as advertised, and I have the SZ Extreme as well, it's very very good.  I could be totally happy with it, if I didn't have the MAVRIK.

And, I've been very very curious about the ST200 and can't promise it doesn't find a way into my try out bag as well! 

I'll leave my update on the ST200 from today until more feedback.

  • Like 1

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going down the Maverik line, new driver ordered with Max 10.5 head, HZRD Smoke 60, 43.5" shaft -1" from std.

Fitting didn't show up anything better.

I tried the Mizuno ST200 and ST200G with similar shafts  to the Maverik and i was getting really low spin numbers, 2000 revs and the ball was going nowhere 15 to 20 yds behind both the SZ and Maverik. Deciding factor was dispersion numbers which were way down c.f. the SZ. 

The guy was using a GCquad which seemed to give more info on my swing and face contacted than I've seen on Trackman and basically highlighted the face at contact as well as angle of attack. Anyway the Maverik head delivery was 2' better over the piece, it also allows me to swap in my Fujikura 62 from my Epic if I want to go back to a longer shaft.

Bye For Now, Happy Golfing

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do not like the Cobra F9, why do you think you will like the Cobra SZ better?

  • :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedges 54 and 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Q Star Tour or Z Star
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why didn't we see the SIM as a consideration?

 

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you considered saving a few $$$ and trying the Epic Flash. I tried Mavrik and the Epic Flash and found very little difference between the 2. They had the flash on special so I went with it. After 3-4 rounds I am very impressed.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...