Callaway Big Bertha B-21 Driver

Our Sponsors

Call away just releases info on the new B-21 driver to be a 'spin killer' tailored towards those looking to reduce a slice. Jailbrake poles and a flash face look very promising for distance!

Great looking color scheme! I am very interested to see how the esting goes with this in comparison to the Epic Flash and Mavrik

Callaway-Big-Bertha-B-21_Driver_Fairway-1.jpg.55596e30e7181ccaec7ee0fa4e69266f.jpg

• Like 2

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I told you guys to keep your eyes open that something cool was cominng!

Here's the Full Monty on it by Tony!

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-big-bertha-b-21-driver-and-fairway-woods/

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Shape reminds me a lot of the Fusion, for sure.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Super Game Improvement category... Interesting that they take the one name that has a heritage and use it for this category. Game Improvement clubs do sell more commonly than the “Tour” stuff, but it’s still weird to me that Big Bertha isn’t the mainstream offering. They’ve been all over the place with it since 2013/2014.

• Like 3

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

16 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Super Game Improvement category... Interesting that they take the one name that has a heritage and use it for this category. Game Improvement clubs do sell more commonly than the “Tour” stuff, but it’s still weird to me that Big Bertha isn’t the mainstream offering. They’ve been all over the place with it since 2013/2014.

Big Bertha's been SGI since it was reintroduced a few years ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Maybe with irons, but not with Woods.  Big Bertha Alpha and Big Bertha (2013/2014) we Callaway's flagship low spin and standard drivers.  That was followed by the Big Bertha Alpha and BBA Double Black Diamond which were far from SGI.  Then they had the Big Bertha Epic, which again, was not SGI.  Even the Big Bertha V Series wasn't SGI, it was just lightweight.

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
Just now, jlukes said:

Maybe with irons, but not with Woods.  Big Bertha Alpha and Big Bertha (2013/2014) we Callaway's flagship low spin and standard drivers.  That was followed by the Big Bertha Alpha and BBA Double Black Diamond which were far from SGI.  Then they had the Big Bertha Epic, which again, was not SGI.  Even the Big Bertha V Series wasn't SGI, it was just lightweight.

Good point. I was thinking of the original re-introduction of the BB driver with the sliding weight along with the giant headed irons they had for a few years. Completely spaced out on the BB Alpha and DBD. I stand corrected.

• Like 1

This is a good summary (from the MGS article): "you can think of it as a higher launching, more forgiving, anti-slice version of the Sub Zero"

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I got to see these in hand a few weeks ago. I think callaway is completely genius with this line. So smart and well done for the targeted golfers. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

25 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I got to see these in hand a few weeks ago. I think callaway is completely genius with this line. So smart and well done for the targeted golfers. 

I'm interested to see how this works out for the targeted audience. In theory it sounds good.

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

If this club acts anything like the Big Bertha Fusion that came out a few years ago then I will be all over it.  The BB Fusion was so overlooked and it was an absolutely point and shoot driver with super low spin (for me).  I bought and sold that club twice I liked it so much.

My bag is a revolving door!

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Yes, I know, it still seems odd that when they came back with Big Bertha in 2014, it was a HUGE launch, and a big deal about the history of BB. Then, a couple years later, another big launch of the newest version of the GBB driver. Again, heritage of the name, going back to the roots, pulling on people’s memory of the name and performance. When they shifted it to Game Improvement a few years back, it made no sense to me, and it still doesn’t. Use “Flash” for GI. It will be here and gone... Keep BB for the heritage, and make it the top group like it used to be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

This is a good summary (from the MGS article): "you can think of it as a higher launching, more forgiving, anti-slice version of the Sub Zero"

Hmm. Wouldn’t that be the Mavrik Max???? The Sub Zero is a very low spin driver.... Anti-slice and Sub Zero are not in the same atmosphere.

Just now, PMookie said:

Hmm. Wouldn’t that be the Mavrik Max???? The Sub Zero is a very low spin driver.... Anti-slice and Sub Zero are not in the same atmosphere.

Yeah, i know the anti-slice and Sub Zero are not in the same atmosphere.

I guess the assumption here with this new Big Bertha is that the slicers hit high spinning open face heel slices. So reducing the spin with reduce the curvature. This is what the MGS article says: "To kill spin, Callaway is relying on a low and forward center of gravity location. By way of comparison, we’re not talking Mavrik forward but it’s significantly more forward than Mavrik Max and lower than both."

I wonder if this will actually be a "forgiving" driver. In reading, I'm not seeing all that much tech around forgiveness except for the standard recent Callaway stuff like flash face.

It feels like this is going to be a draw-biased Sub Zero in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

I am also curious to hit this club because in theory it should be the mostly the opposite of what I am looking for. I like to play a fade but don't hit the big banana slice ever. Once in a while I will hit a push fade or even a push slice when I get too quick.

However, I am already on the low spin side. My misses tend to be high toe, so the ball comes out low spin. Even my good shots I would say are slightly toe biased. Almost never hit one off the heel unless I am messing around with my setup and standing really close to the ball.

Would be an interesting experiment that i predict won't work well.

Updated 10/6/2020

Yea this will be real interesting if it pushes the Ping SFT out of the 'anti-slice' ring or is a new best choice for slow-swing drivers

Charleston, SC

HDCP 12.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :taylormade-small:  M4 with 60g Atmos red stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: 52, 56, 60 :titelist-small: SM5 & SM6
  • Putter: 34" :odyssey-small: 2-ball original with superstroke grip
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Sounds too good to be true, and the TXG and Crossfield early reviews weren’t as optimistic as the ad copy. If it really works I’d be interested, though I HATE the blue crown. We’ll see what more in depth reviews and player experiences say.

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

Slice killer face off .. ping sft vs big Bertha b-21.. might be a new category in the most wanted driver test 

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

couple videos on youtube from Callaway regarding the tech in the b21 vs the mavrik. Interesting , I jumped in early on Mavrik and after some initial success just could not get it under control, went to the sim and been mostly happy with it since.

I am curious to give this a try at least and see what the performance is  vs my current sim driver.  I did not want to be interested in these but if they can help me hit more fairways I am interested in the driver for sure. I am loving the mavrik irons still. 

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

4 minutes ago, Jbmullin said:

couple videos on youtube from Callaway regarding the tech in the b21 vs the mavrik. Interesting , I jumped in early on Mavrik and after some initial success just could not get it under control, went to the sim and been mostly happy with it since.

I am curious to give this a try at least and see what the performance is  vs my current sim driver.  I did not want to be interested in these but if they can help me hit more fairways I am interested in the driver for sure. I am loving the mavrik irons still. 

Are you a slicer? Just curious because I saw you have your SIM lowered from 10.5 to 9.75 which opens up the face. 

Updated 10/6/2020