TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Big Bertha B-21 Driver

JonMUSC08

Call away just releases info on the new B-21 driver to be a 'spin killer' tailored towards those looking to reduce a slice. Jailbrake poles and a flash face look very promising for distance!

Great looking color scheme! I am very interested to see how the esting goes with this in comparison to the Epic Flash and Mavrik

Callaway-Big-Bertha-B-21_Driver_Fairway-1.jpg.55596e30e7181ccaec7ee0fa4e69266f.jpg

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I told you guys to keep your eyes open that something cool was cominng!

Here's the Full Monty on it by Tony!

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-big-bertha-b-21-driver-and-fairway-woods/

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Shape reminds me a lot of the Fusion, for sure.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Super Game Improvement category... Interesting that they take the one name that has a heritage and use it for this category. Game Improvement clubs do sell more commonly than the “Tour” stuff, but it’s still weird to me that Big Bertha isn’t the mainstream offering. They’ve been all over the place with it since 2013/2014.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

16 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Super Game Improvement category... Interesting that they take the one name that has a heritage and use it for this category. Game Improvement clubs do sell more commonly than the “Tour” stuff, but it’s still weird to me that Big Bertha isn’t the mainstream offering. They’ve been all over the place with it since 2013/2014.

Big Bertha's been SGI since it was reintroduced a few years ago. 

7 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Maybe with irons, but not with Woods.  Big Bertha Alpha and Big Bertha (2013/2014) we Callaway's flagship low spin and standard drivers.  That was followed by the Big Bertha Alpha and BBA Double Black Diamond which were far from SGI.  Then they had the Big Bertha Epic, which again, was not SGI.  Even the Big Bertha V Series wasn't SGI, it was just lightweight.

Just now, jlukes said:

Maybe with irons, but not with Woods.  Big Bertha Alpha and Big Bertha (2013/2014) we Callaway's flagship low spin and standard drivers.  That was followed by the Big Bertha Alpha and BBA Double Black Diamond which were far from SGI.  Then they had the Big Bertha Epic, which again, was not SGI.  Even the Big Bertha V Series wasn't SGI, it was just lightweight.

Good point. I was thinking of the original re-introduction of the BB driver with the sliding weight along with the giant headed irons they had for a few years. Completely spaced out on the BB Alpha and DBD. I stand corrected.

This is a good summary (from the MGS article): "you can think of it as a higher launching, more forgiving, anti-slice version of the Sub Zero"

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I got to see these in hand a few weeks ago. I think callaway is completely genius with this line. So smart and well done for the targeted golfers. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

25 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I got to see these in hand a few weeks ago. I think callaway is completely genius with this line. So smart and well done for the targeted golfers. 

I'm interested to see how this works out for the targeted audience. In theory it sounds good.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

If this club acts anything like the Big Bertha Fusion that came out a few years ago then I will be all over it.  The BB Fusion was so overlooked and it was an absolutely point and shoot driver with super low spin (for me).  I bought and sold that club twice I liked it so much.

My bag is a revolving door!

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Yes, I know, it still seems odd that when they came back with Big Bertha in 2014, it was a HUGE launch, and a big deal about the history of BB. Then, a couple years later, another big launch of the newest version of the GBB driver. Again, heritage of the name, going back to the roots, pulling on people’s memory of the name and performance. When they shifted it to Game Improvement a few years back, it made no sense to me, and it still doesn’t. Use “Flash” for GI. It will be here and gone... Keep BB for the heritage, and make it the top group like it used to be.

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

This is a good summary (from the MGS article): "you can think of it as a higher launching, more forgiving, anti-slice version of the Sub Zero"

Hmm. Wouldn’t that be the Mavrik Max???? The Sub Zero is a very low spin driver.... Anti-slice and Sub Zero are not in the same atmosphere.

Just now, PMookie said:

Hmm. Wouldn’t that be the Mavrik Max???? The Sub Zero is a very low spin driver.... Anti-slice and Sub Zero are not in the same atmosphere.

Yeah, i know the anti-slice and Sub Zero are not in the same atmosphere.

I guess the assumption here with this new Big Bertha is that the slicers hit high spinning open face heel slices. So reducing the spin with reduce the curvature. This is what the MGS article says: "To kill spin, Callaway is relying on a low and forward center of gravity location. By way of comparison, we’re not talking Mavrik forward but it’s significantly more forward than Mavrik Max and lower than both."

I wonder if this will actually be a "forgiving" driver. In reading, I'm not seeing all that much tech around forgiveness except for the standard recent Callaway stuff like flash face.

It feels like this is going to be a draw-biased Sub Zero in my opinion. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I am also curious to hit this club because in theory it should be the mostly the opposite of what I am looking for. I like to play a fade but don't hit the big banana slice ever. Once in a while I will hit a push fade or even a push slice when I get too quick.

However, I am already on the low spin side. My misses tend to be high toe, so the ball comes out low spin. Even my good shots I would say are slightly toe biased. Almost never hit one off the heel unless I am messing around with my setup and standing really close to the ball.

Would be an interesting experiment that i predict won't work well.

Updated 07/15/2022

Yea this will be real interesting if it pushes the Ping SFT out of the 'anti-slice' ring or is a new best choice for slow-swing drivers

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Sounds too good to be true, and the TXG and Crossfield early reviews weren’t as optimistic as the ad copy. If it really works I’d be interested, though I HATE the blue crown. We’ll see what more in depth reviews and player experiences say.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Slice killer face off .. ping sft vs big Bertha b-21.. might be a new category in the most wanted driver test 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

couple videos on youtube from Callaway regarding the tech in the b21 vs the mavrik. Interesting , I jumped in early on Mavrik and after some initial success just could not get it under control, went to the sim and been mostly happy with it since.

I am curious to give this a try at least and see what the performance is  vs my current sim driver.  I did not want to be interested in these but if they can help me hit more fairways I am interested in the driver for sure. I am loving the mavrik irons still. 

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

4 minutes ago, Jbmullin said:

couple videos on youtube from Callaway regarding the tech in the b21 vs the mavrik. Interesting , I jumped in early on Mavrik and after some initial success just could not get it under control, went to the sim and been mostly happy with it since.

I am curious to give this a try at least and see what the performance is  vs my current sim driver.  I did not want to be interested in these but if they can help me hit more fairways I am interested in the driver for sure. I am loving the mavrik irons still. 

Are you a slicer? Just curious because I saw you have your SIM lowered from 10.5 to 9.75 which opens up the face. 

Updated 07/15/2022

2 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Are you a slicer? Just curious because I saw you have your SIM lowered from 10.5 to 9.75 which opens up the face. 

I do on occasion go left .. way left.  I have been experimenting with the TM loft sleeve alot on the range trying to find optimum settings and funny enough I found the most success with this setting. I have recently after a couple poor driving rounds moved the set up back to the standard set up and just trying to sort it out again. 

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

6 minutes ago, Jbmullin said:

I do on occasion go left .. way left.  I have been experimenting with the TM loft sleeve alot on the range trying to find optimum settings and funny enough I found the most success with this setting. I have recently after a couple poor driving rounds moved the set up back to the standard set up and just trying to sort it out again. 

Unless you are a slicer, I would imagine that the B-21 would cause you to go left of left. On the TXG video, Ian had a pretty neutral swingpath and he felt shots that would normally go straight for him were going left with the B-21. 

Updated 07/15/2022

I guess i missed this article when it first dropped but listened to the podcast and am curious about this driver. I have been a lifetime slicer and although have reduced it that big bomb left still pokes it head on occasion. I want to hit this and really see how it goes. I know I cut across the ball and when I get a straight one out there think its likely due to hitting the toe and counteracting some of the slice.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

My miss is a slice when I get sloppy with my hands and leave the face open.  Wonder if this would help reduce the damage when that happens over moving to far left when I am more on my game.  Definitely want to give this a hit. 

:titelist-small: 917 D2 9.5 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g 6.5
:taylormade-small: M2 (2017) 3W 17.5 -  
:ping-small: G 4H 22 - 
:titelist-small: 735cm 3 - PW - KBS Tour Black Nickel 115g ( R )
:vokey-small: SM4 Tour Chrome 52˚- 8˚ | 56˚- 8˚ | 60˚- 7˚ - True Temper Dynamic Gold ( W )
:cameron-small: California Coronado
:Snell: 
MTB-X
:Arccos:

• 2 weeks later...

Had a chance to hit a few with the BBB21 stock shaft the other day.  Shots do definitely wanted to draw/hook  but I fight a hook anyway, and was actually surprised that I didn't snap hook more of them.  Sound was very different than the flash and the mavrik, much more metallic and sharp sounding. Didnt love the sound.

I didn't love the shaft, stated flex was stiff but felt a lot softer.

Probably not the club for me, but I'm sure it will work for some.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

I hit this driver yesterday. While it is not for me I was very impressed with what it is trying to accomplish. The ball will not go right. Plus, if you have any kind of speed but fight the high rights (right handed). This driver could be a bit of a unicorn for you. This driver really accomplishes a draw biased head, that looks really good and just wants to go straight or left and has plenty of ball speed potential due to not over spinning the ball. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I"ve had this in play since last fall.  Everyone keeps saying, "it won't go right".  Well I disagree.  I fight a slice/big fade and am working to correct my "over the top" move, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with other newer drivers that seem to be better at slice reduction. 

Flying Fast 

My miss is a blocked high right. With the bb21 and a hzrdus smoke black it just turned the Block in a nice high Draw curving on the fairway. Good shots still on the left side of the fairway with endless roll.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10,5°, Alta CB Stiff

3-Wood: Ping G410SF 16°, Alta CB Stiff

5-Wood: Callaway Rogue 18° Project X EvenFlow 70

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 4 21° Aldila Synergie 60 70g

Irons: Callaway Mavrik 5-GW KBS TGI Tour Graphite 90

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56°/12 and 60°/10

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7

Ball: Pro V1