TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Adams coming back?

I just saw an article on wrx about the tweet below so I was wondering what everyone thought around here about it?

Is Adams possibly coming back? Personally, I hope so. I gamed the IDEA Pro 3Hybrid in high school and bombed it passed a lot of other guys drivers.

image.png.31a4e2401f25741a246583e4a7c9554f.png

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Only Adams club I had was a 460 cc square driver, I paid like 100-150 dollars for back in the day.  Don't now about their irons, or hybrid, but didn't realize how tinny, my ball striking the driver sounded, until I won my present Nike VR Pro driver in an outing.  Nowhere near as solid sounding as the Nike.  From that experience I would not rush out to try their equipment at this point.  Lets hope they keep going though, don't need to lose anymore equipment manufacturers or courses.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Taylormade owns all of the Adams IP so it would be Adams in name only.

My bet would be the Adams name now belongs to Dicks Sporting Goods it becomes another house brand similar to TA.  

The article presented the idea that Taylormade could bring the Adams brand back as a more budget friendly option in response to the rising prices of equipment. Making it a house brand may be a way that they could sell lower priced equipment. I hope they bring it back as a full brand but I still would want to check it out.

Thanks for responding!

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

20 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

Lets hope they keep going though, don't need to lose anymore equipment manufacturers or courses

Amen to that! More competition is definitely better than less.

No I agree if its a lower priced option.  Would be nice to be able to get kids grandchildren, a quality set of irons etc, at a sub 250-200 price. But not sets you get at Walmart etc, the completely unknown never heard of sets..  Would definitely check them out for that.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Sweet Baby Jeebus i hope so. I still have several sets of the MB2s and the XTD line of woods and hybrids. The XTD Ti 18* with a Matrix Black Tie 85x was a beast of a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

CMB irons and LS drivers were godly!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I doubt it as all their tech is(was) somewhere in the Taylor Made line as stated above.

But I still game an Idea Boxer Pro Hybrid!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Tony tweeted about them the other day as well. It'd be nice to see a few new lines of Adams gear. I think the Blue/Red releases towards the end of their brand's life were overlooked and underrated. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Tony tweeted about them the other day as well. It'd be nice to see a few new lines of Adams gear. I think the Blue/Red releases towards the end of their brand's life were overlooked and underrated. 

The Red hybrids were great sticks. I think I still have a few of them kicking around the house.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Adams still has a fair amount of nostalgia behind their name, so they certainly could be successful if they came out with good product.  Id be all for another value option with a nostalgic name on it, especially if it had the engineering might of Taylormade behind it.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

There are so many golfers I see at the driving range and courses that could benefit from the original Tight Lies fairway woods. It was never overly expensive back in the day. They could do some hot metal faces and maybe deepen the face a little and I bet tons of golfers that struggle to get a long fairway wood in the air could benefit. What I liked about the 16.5 deg that I had back in the day is I could hold a green with it. These new super hot faced fairways today are longer I admit but you gotta account for 40-60 yard roll out (ok maybe exaggerating a bit but you get the point). I hope they do come back but in a market area that people need help in at a good fair price point. 

6 hours ago, russtopherb said:

The Blue/Red lines were value priced as well, weren't they?

Callaway seems to be taking this approach using the Strata name for budget-priced gear.  TM could certainly do the same thing with the Adams name.  With tech advances moving slower now, they could make good clubs with five year old tech at a good price.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

There are so many golfers I see at the driving range and courses that could benefit from the original Tight Lies fairway woods. It was never overly expensive back in the day. They could do some hot metal faces and maybe deepen the face a little and I bet tons of golfers that struggle to get a long fairway wood in the air could benefit. What I liked about the 16.5 deg that I had back in the day is I could hold a green with it. These new super hot faced fairways today are longer I admit but you gotta account for 40-60 yard roll out (ok maybe exaggerating a bit but you get the point). I hope they do come back but in a market area that people need help in at a good fair price point. 

I actually have the original tight lies fairway in a 19* strong 5 and it really is a great wood. I am looking into replacements on a budget and am actually looking into the updated one before they dissolved into taylormade. So I totally agree with you that updating the tech for the tight lies shape would be a great combo!

The Blue/Red lines were value priced as well, weren't they?
Callaway seems to be taking this approach using the Strata name for budget-priced gear.  TM could certainly do the same thing with the Adams name.  With tech advances moving slower now, they could make good clubs with five year old tech at a good price.

I suppose you could view them as value priced, the Blue irons in steel had a list price of $700 at launch. Adams has always been a great value on the secondary market and their tech has held up well.

I could definitely see TM rebadging some Adams irons (like Callaway has done) and selling them as intro SGI clubs for the weekend golfer market. That would be a good move IMHO for people who would recognize the Adams name.

Waiting for @downlowkey to chime in. My daughter has a couple of Tight Lies 2 hybrids, I love the heads and would love to try them wth a shaft that suits me.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am still currently gaming the Super Idea S 2H. That club is worth its weight in gold (not alot of gold because I bought it on ebay for $20). It is one of my go to's and Arccos is telling me to use it all the time.....

I would love to see even if just the Adams name make a comeback. TM has some of the best hybrid/woods so would be a fantastic product I am sure.....Going to take alot to get this hybrid slot though.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Adams is still alive...at least the IP is...TM is just cycling back through Adams technology that, one could argue, was ahead of it's time. 

DHy? The OG was in 2012. The revamp is 2020. 

XTD Driver? The OG was in 2014. The revamp was 2018 (M3 "Hammerhead" technology).

Now if we could revamp YES! and Adams...that would be cool to see. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

11 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

Adams is still alive...at least the IP is...TM is just cycling back through Adams technology that, one could argue, was ahead of it's time.

I Love Taylormade and Adams... But it is pretty sad that such an innovative company was cannibalized as it was. And I am not downing Taylormade in any way, we have obviously seen some great products come from TM. I don't doubt that Adams tech was a big factor of that, thats just kind of natural when companies grow to such a size as TM. They see innovation and they have the wallet to make Adams an offer they couldn't refuse. Still sad though.

But speaking of the innovation of Adams, Does anyone know where the people from Adams ended up in the industry? I thought i read somewhere that the designer for the IDEA Pro Hybrid moved on to Ben Hogan and it makes sense looking at their VKTR+ Hybrids

image.png.cf61ba6b5736823357b999abb6c5f488.png

40 minutes ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

But speaking of the innovation of Adams, Does anyone know where the people from Adams ended up in the industry? I thought i read somewhere that the designer for the IDEA Pro Hybrid moved on to Ben Hogan and it makes sense looking at their VKTR+ Hybrids

image.png.cf61ba6b5736823357b999abb6c5f488.png

From what I remember, Michael Vrska was a higher up in product development at Adams and then he moved over to Wilson right around when they introduced the C200s with the Power Holes. He was there for a bit then went over to Callaway. 

Tony's article on the recent Adams tweets and what they could mean is up on the MGS site: https://mygolfspy.com/adams-golf-about-to-make-a-comeback/

31 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Tony's article on the recent Adams tweets and what they could mean is up on the MGS site: https://mygolfspy.com/adams-golf-about-to-make-a-comeback/

Great article and liked this line:

image.png.2f25d824ecb3e6fdea0e543c2ee5029d.png

In a world that had sports turned upside down, myself as well as everyone else on this site has never seen golf with such buzz since Tiger Woods in 97'.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 8/20/2020 at 5:35 AM, Peaksy68 said:

Waiting for @downlowkey to chime in. 

Hmmm... Adams? Never heard of them.

7F1AB048-3D29-408A-992E-45925585773E.jpeg.f1e091633a8a2dfd460b771a024a4977.jpeg

But if I did have a basement bag full of their best prototypes, I would probably hang onto them 4eva.

C1CA1AD0-1B40-4A87-9F31-2C1D65966A3D.jpeg.01131051e1e21003a753a7d3c23b3ac2.jpeg

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

17 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

But if I did have a basement bag full of their best prototypes, I would probably hang onto them 4eva.

They didn’t invent the chicken sandwich, they’re just ...

C1CA1AD0-1B40-4A87-9F31-2C1D65966A3D.jpeg.01131051e1e21003a753a7d3c23b3ac2.jpeg

Great minds think alike. I could build a bag right now with just what I still have around and possibly two bags if i really tried.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Has anybody had a chance to hit the TM DHY?  Doesn't look much different from the old Adams version, I had one and loved that club.  Much as I'm not a fan of TM, i'm going to have to give that one a look I think...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1: