Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf Physics

Alright this is a bit of an odd quest to understand the physics behind the game of golf. As an engineer I wanted started talking through some of the details with a friend and there were so many details that i could explain in a very general standpoint. This made me think of why this would matter and how would this information be useful and that sent me down a rabbit hole of club fitting and club design. 

I remember hearing things from Adam Young and others about how everything boils down to the conditions at impact (Club Speed, Strike Location, Angle of Attack etc.) So this is kind of where I'm starting and then trying to slowly build onto this information to develop the flight dynamics. Once that end I plan to start driving into the club shapes and technology. I have found a few interesting articles (linked below) but if anyone has more information or ideas to articles or books let me know. 

This may be completely a fools errand trying to simplify a incredible complex sport into actual mathematical formulas but I hope it helps me get a better understanding of the main variables and an ability to understand how club designs actually function. 

https://www.golf-simulators.com/physics.htm

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/Randolph_Bailey/Web Project/index.htm

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/the-biggest-cause-of-an-offline-golf-shot/

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Having been an Engineer for some time I can appreciate the quest ahead of you. Once you get to the basics and you think you got it all there is just so much more involved.

The material of the club

Club design. 

Trampoline effect of the club face based on the club face material and thickness.

Lift on the ball due to different dimple patterns, compression, ball materials. 

It just goes on. Are you sure you want to go down this road? This could take a very long time.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

This is great because I logged on to ask a question that one of you physician can guys can answer.

All things being equal if I swing a heavier club the same speed as a lighter one would the ball go farther?

Again assuming the same strike, AoA, etc.

Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Having been an Engineer for some time I can appreciate the quest ahead of you. Once you get to the basics and you think you got it all there is just so much more involved.
The material of the club
Club design. 
Trampoline effect of the club face based on the club face material and thickness.
Lift on the ball due to different dimple patterns, compression, ball materials. 
It just goes on. Are you sure you want to go down this road? This could take a very long time.
Haha yes this is a nightmare of variables and minor adjustments. I'm going to try and step in piece by piece and if I get anywhere close to understanding the variations of dimple patterns I will have gotten much further I could imagine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is great because I logged on to ask a question that one of you physician can guys can answer.

All things being equal if I swing a heavier club the same speed as a lighter one would the ball go farther?

Just curious.

I could be mistaken but assuming all other factors equal more mass could in theory transfer more energy into the ball.

The key is getting the same speed out of the heavier weight. Thats why clubs tend to be going lighter to help keep speed up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, revkev said:

Just curious.

With all things being equal in the swing, the club with the larger mass will transfer more energy to the ball. The more energy transfered the further the ball will travel. E = mc 2

In short the heavier club will hit the ball further.

Just curious.

It's an impulse momentum problem.

F∆t = ∆p

F is the force applied

∆t is the time that the force is applied for

∆p is the change in momentum

At the same club head speed, a heavier clubhead will transmit a larger force to the golf ball which will create a larger change in momentum so you will see more ball speed all things being equal from a heavier club head to a lighter club head.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I’m so proud of myself that I figured out that the heavier weight means more energy! (My son was a Navy Nuke so I hear about this energy stuff all the time) I’ve actually learned something from listening to him.

Who’d have thunk it.

Thanks guys

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Here is another great resource for your dive into the complex world of golf physics.

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/

Alright this is a bit of an odd quest to understand the physics behind the game of golf. As an engineer I wanted started talking through some of the details with a friend and there were so many details that i could explain in a very general standpoint. This made me think of why this would matter and how would this information be useful and that sent me down a rabbit hole of club fitting and club design. 
I remember hearing things from Adam Young and others about how everything boils down to the conditions at impact (Club Speed, Strike Location, Angle of Attack etc.) So this is kind of where I'm starting and then trying to slowly build onto this information to develop the flight dynamics. Once that end I plan to start driving into the club shapes and technology. I have found a few interesting articles (linked below) but if anyone has more information or ideas to articles or books let me know. 
This may be completely a fools errand trying to simplify a incredible complex sport into actual mathematical formulas but I hope it helps me get a better understanding of the main variables and an ability to understand how club designs actually function. 
https://www.golf-simulators.com/physics.htm
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/Randolph_Bailey/Web Project/index.htm
https://www.adamyounggolf.com/the-biggest-cause-of-an-offline-golf-shot/

I should also add that any gains there are going to be relatively marginal. It'll really depend on how much weight is added, but in most situations we're talking about 5-10g which is going to produce maybe about a 1-2 mph gain in ball speed at the most.

I haven't done any of the math though, but I am relatively confident in saying it'll be a fairly small gain. Whether that's something someone wants to give up if they're just as efficient in swinging the heavier club, well that's up to them.

We have sort of seen some of this on tour with higher balance point shafts, which allow club builders to add weight to the club head while maintaining the swing weight of a lower balance point shaft with less weight. But it's been very marginal gains if any in ball speed. And how comparable the swing dynamics are between those two setups are, I don't know so it may not be a fair comparison.

I’m so proud of myself that I figured out that the heavier weight means more energy! (My son was a Navy Nuke so I hear about this energy stuff all the time) I’ve actually learned something from listening to him.

Who’d have thunk it.

Thanks guys

8 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Here is another great resource for your dive into the complex world of golf physics.

https://www.tutelman.com/golf/

I found this site late last night and this is a goldmine of information i was up way too late reading this instead of actual sleep.

13 hours ago, revkev said:

Just curious.

So I found some basic equations on http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/Randolph_Bailey/Web Project/Tiger.htm

This agrees with everyone who has posted that more mass would in theory generated more ball speed. I noticed with a 5% (10g) increase of a driver weight(200g) at a club head speed of 100mph got about 0.5mph increase. Since Mass is a factor or (Club mass)/(Club mass +Ball Mass)

This lead me to look at the impact of speed on this equation. If i use the same 200g driver head and increase the speed by 2%(2mph)  this gained 1.8mph.

If we decide to decrease weight by the same 5% and increase the speed by 2% this would generate a 0.62mph.

I'm not sure what actual speed sure what speed gains could be had form 5% weight reduction but this supports a lot of the club development to go slightly lighter to give people more speed. which is more impactful then weight alone.

5 hours ago, pozzit said:

So I found some basic equations on http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/Randolph_Bailey/Web Project/Tiger.htm

This agrees with everyone who has posted that more mass would in theory generated more ball speed. I noticed with a 5% (10g) increase of a driver weight(200g) at a club head speed of 100mph got about 0.5mph increase. Since Mass is a factor or (Club mass)/(Club mass +Ball Mass)

This lead me to look at the impact of speed on this equation. If i use the same 200g driver head and increase the speed by 2%(2mph)  this gained 1.8mph.

If we decide to decrease weight by the same 5% and increase the speed by 2% this would generate a 0.62mph.

I'm not sure what actual speed sure what speed gains could be had form 5% weight reduction but this supports a lot of the club development to go slightly lighter to give people more speed. which is more impactful then weight alone.

That's why all the manufacturers went to titanium faces and carbon fiber crowns and such. You can swing them faster. Now add some of those Ping turbulators to direct air flow and you have a race car LOL.