Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How long is ok for balls to be in water???

Reesedw

I know Dean Snell has stated that balls absorb water.  I know there are people who retrieve a ball out of the water, the ball looks perfect so they keep it and move on. But at what point does it start affecting performance? How long before  they are  affected by the water? Five min? they are ok, an hour? 2, 3, maybe 2 days.. thoughts? WIll they dry out over 2 days, a week, a month?? 

The ball retriever review got me thinking, Quoted from the review  " So if you’ve dialed in your game, why would we be content to let any of that equipment sit at the bottom of the lake or in some questionable rough? Protect your investment! " 

Just thinking any thoughts?? Would you play a ProV you pull out of a lake that looks brand new, even thought you do not know how long its been in there??? 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

5 minutes ago, Reesedw said:

I know Dean Snell has stated that balls absorb water.  I know there are people who retrieve a ball out of the water, the ball looks perfect so they keep it and move on. But at what point does it start affecting performance? How long before  they are  affected by the water? Five min? they are ok, an hour? 2, 3, maybe 2 days.. thoughts? WIll they dry out over 2 days, a week, a month?? 

The ball retriever review got me thinking, Quoted from the review  " So if you’ve dialed in your game, why would we be content to let any of that equipment sit at the bottom of the lake or in some questionable rough? Protect your investment! " 

Just thinking any thoughts?? Would you play a ProV you pull out of a lake that looks brand new, even thought you do not know how long its been in there??? 

This is a great question and I have no idea what it actually would be. I have heard anything from 2 hours to 24 hours and the ball is fine. 

Vice recommends 12 hrs https://www.vicegolf.com/us/forget_lakeballs#:~:text=After just twelve hours in,to enter into the ball.

I tend to only keep the ball that I actually hit in the water if its not it then I leave it there for others. 

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I'll only use my own if it's in the water.  I give any others away.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I'll retrieve and use mine if it went in the water. All most others would get put in a bin for use in a net. The high end balls would be for use on my simulator. The Optishot2 only looks at club speed and club angle so a water ball would show as performing as good as a new ball.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

18 hours ago, TBT said:

Mine start to shrivel after a few hours emoji23.png

Sorry couldn’t resist

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Then clearly they have been in the water too long.... LOL😛

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Mine start to shrivel after a few hours

Sorry couldn’t resist

Haha I was thinking the same thing

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If you hit your ball in the water it is fine to pick it out and use it again. From what I have seen on some golf sites balls retrieved from the water are fine unless they have been in there for months. I think most of the used ball companies go to courses and retrieve balls from ponds and lakes. I have used them from time to time and have had no problems with the ball being affected by the time in the water. That is my experience, but don't take my word for it. Search the internet I am sure there is more info on this. 

I found a site, golf ball divers. They tested balls that they put in a simulated water hazard for one  and three months. Then tested them on trackman against new balls and found they react pretty much the same as the balls that were in the water for months. There are probably more companies that do this as well. 

Edited by Letthebigdogshunt

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, Letthebigdogshunt said:

If you hit your ball in the water it is fine to pick it out and use it again. From what I have seen on some golf sites balls retrieved from the water are fine unless they have been in there for months. I think most of the used ball companies go to courses and retrieve balls from ponds and lakes. I have used them from time to time and have had no problems with the ball being affected by the time in the water. That is my experience, but don't take my word for it. Search the internet I am sure there is more info on this. 

I found a site, golf ball divers. They tested balls that they put in a simulated water hazard for one  and three months. Then tested them on trackman against new balls and found they react pretty much the same as the balls that were in the water for months. There are probably more companies that do this as well. 

I go down to the beach with my son and we go golf ball hunting - we give any ones in decent condition we find to the local middle school, and I keep the premium balls that look in good nick. We find 70-80 balls every time we go down and I have dozens of pro v1s in the garage. I tested them on my launch monitor and the ones that look good perform exactly the same as new ones - you can tell if they have been in the water a while, and these ones get discarded.

a local high schooler fished thousands of balls out of the ocean - 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

I go down to the beach with my son and we go golf ball hunting - we give any ones in decent condition we find to the local middle school, and I keep the premium balls that look in good nick. We find 70-80 balls every time we go down and I have dozens of pro v1s in the garage. I tested them on my launch monitor and the ones that look good perform exactly the same as new ones - you can tell if they have been in the water a while, and these ones get discarded.
a local high schooler fished thousands of balls out of the ocean - 
[/url]  

That video is amazing

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 months later...

I sat beside the MD of Acushnet ANZ at a charity event and we had a really interesting discussion on golf balls. I asked him about using balls that had been in the water and he said that it depended on the type of cover, if the cover is scuffed and the quality of the water. A Urethane covered ball like Pro V in clean water should be still ok for 5-7 days, however if the water is polluted or acidic then it could be as little a 8-12 hours. He also said that scuff marks break the seal and will allow water to penetrate the cover much quicker. Fusablend/Lonomer will last allot longer in water but again it all depends on how badly the cover is scuffed up.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001