Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Your Height & Putter Length?

fixyurdivot

6' tall and i use an  40" arm lock. For three reasons: 1) lower back issues are a thing of the past 2). Fix the common broken wrist problem all golfers fight.  3) SIK putters DLT technology fix any loft issues and rolls better on the green. Nuff said! 

5'6" and have tried every length from 32 to 35. A fitter fit me with a 32" that felt pretty good, but I ended up not liking the putter. 33" is what I have settled on and it works the best.

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

same here, wanted to try one of the PXG shafts, am 6'2" and cut to 35.5". Put it on a Seemore Nashville Studio milled head to try along with a Sweet Rollz grip

XXIO Eleven 9.0 Driver 18 5W 23 and 26H

Mizuno JPX923HL(A) 7-W

PXG 50,54,38W

Bettinardi BB6 face balance new to replace Edel with Seemore as a change up

5'8", and I use a 29" putter. Started at 33", but never got comfortable. Wanted to be over the ball, so I started choking down in practice one day, and would mark where I would have my top hand. I was too upright, and felt like I was stabbing at the ball, missing right every time. Cut it to 29", and has been good since. Done this on 2 putters...

Edited by drb1956

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

6'3" if anybody asks but 6'2.5" at the doc's office. 

I was extremely fortunate to go through the Edel fitting process last year. I had always played a 34" putter but putting was never my strong suit. I was fit into a 36" , very heavy, and ver upright blade according to my biomechanics and aim tendencies. Putter fitting according to Edel has much more to do with other measurements than just height. Height is simply where they start, and don't even give much attention to, but then they add leg and waist height, arm length, shoulder width, wrist height from the floor, and about 3 or 4 other items that I just can't recall. The end result is something that I NEVER would have chosen for myself but I will be buried with this putter it's that good! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 8/20/2020 at 10:42 PM, ED13 said:

The problem with the idea of using height to determine putter length is the length of your arms will have a huge impact.  Regardless of height some people will have shorter or longer than average arms.  Also consider how tall or bent over your stance is as well as how straight or bent your arms are and your height starts looking less significant.

I read this in one of the golf magazines back in the 80's. I tried it a couple of times at a party. If you have people line up and stand straight, if you look down the line, most peoples hands are at the pretty much the same height no matter their actual height. This is how the club manufacturers way back when were able to build standard length clubs. 90th percentile or something like that. Anyway, as this is party time, try it out for yourself and see. Maybe we can get some feedback through this thread.

I have several putters 33-35 inches and choke down on the longer ones. Whatever is comfortable on that day.

I wonder if it matters which way the putter is gripped, ie, conventional, off hand low, split grip, pencil grip etc.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

1 hour ago, Kurt Howell said:

6' tall and i use an  40" arm lock. For three reasons: 1) lower back issues are a thing of the past 2). Fix the common broken wrist problem all golfers fight.  3) SIK putters DLT technology fix any loft issues and rolls better on the green. Nuff said! 

I’m 6’1” & use a 35.5” putter w/ an upright lie  angle. I don’t play as much as I used too, but do get to practice some. Lower back always hurts after a session on the practice green. Doesn’t matter when I do it, before hitting balls, after, only putting. A buddy of mine has an armlock & I have dabbled with it some. It does seem to relieve the lower back. I may try one full time this coming year. I’m just stuck, bc No back issues during a round or after, but only when practicing, exclusively on putting. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

Hello: I remember having a YES Putter at 33.5 cutting down to 33 inches. And i was 6ft 1nches. The went to my friends plave a got fitted for a 34 inch putter. What we found out that is that I lined up more squared and was able on a Arc what I was looking for. While shorter length my eyes where outside the ball forcing me to LOOP my stroke and leading to PULLS. I think the average length on Tour is roughly 34 inches. I think Tiger is 35.25 and Andy North was 29 inches.

I was curious to see if the golfer height versus putter length data listed above correlated in any way.  Here's the scartter plot:

image.png.db7bee5b6a9f03ccb5f9cb35a7dfe9c5.png

The simple answer is no.  The R-squared value is a statistical measure that represents the proportion of the variance for a dependent variable that's explained by an independent variable or variables in a regression model.  So if the R-squared value was 0.50, approximately half of the observed variation can be explained by the model's inputs. 

In this case, R-squared is just over a third (0.3491) so, there's much more involved in selecting the right putter length than just your height.   If you throw out a couple of the outliers significantly above the regression line, the R-squared value would improve but it still implies there's other factors in play.  

For giggles, I put in my height (6'2" or 74 inches which is the "X" in the equation) in the model and it resulted in 34.97-inch putter or about a half an inch longer than I'm currently using.  I'm guessing my 36-inch arms have something to do about that!

Of course, that makes sense.   There're more variables associated with relationship one has with his or her putter (or probably more accurately putters)!   Everyone's comments certainly back that up.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

2 hours ago, drb1956 said:

5'8", and I use a 29" putter. Started at 33", but never got comfortable. Wanted to be over the ball, so I started choking down in practice one day, and would mark where I would have my top hand. I was too upright, and felt like I was stabbing at the ball, missing right every time. Cut it to 29", and has been good since. Done this on 2 putters...

I agree. I think the length relies more on how you stand over the ball than your height. I’ve seen guys putt great with a 30” putter that were 6’3” and vice versa. I like to get over the ball so I bend at the waist more than most but this allows me to get my eyes over the ball and see my line better. Some prefer to stand taller and have their eyes inside of the line and it works. I say try all different types of putters, lengths, and styles and find what works best for you!

On 8/21/2020 at 7:21 AM, Tarheelvolvo said:

6'4" and use a 37" putter. Picked up a demo model Anser 2 years ago and now I can't go lower as it feels like I'm hunched over. Recently picked up a TA #3 Impact from Golf Galaxy and immediately took it over to their in-store shop to get an extension and new grip as my lower back felt the strain just in testing it on their in-store green - or maybe i have poor core strength, haha.

Same back issue here. 6'1" 36.5 inch putter. I have a high waist, short arms and stand more upright. Each one of those adds length.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

5' 10" and I use a 34" putter, but I choke up a bit.  My wife has a 33" putter which fits me fine.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

6' and I use a 32.5" putter. I've always been more comfortable letting my arms hang more. I could probably go a little shorter as the index finger on my low hand usually touches the shaft.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 12/19/2022 at 11:19 AM, Golf2Much said:

I was curious to see if the golfer height versus putter length data listed above correlated in any way.  Here's the scartter plot:

image.png.db7bee5b6a9f03ccb5f9cb35a7dfe9c5.png

The simple answer is no.  The R-squared value is a statistical measure that represents the proportion of the variance for a dependent variable that's explained by an independent variable or variables in a regression model.  So if the R-squared value was 0.50, approximately half of the observed variation can be explained by the model's inputs. 

In this case, R-squared is just over a third (0.3491) so, there's much more involved in selecting the right putter length than just your height.   If you throw out a couple of the outliers significantly above the regression line, the R-squared value would improve but it still implies there's other factors in play.  

For giggles, I put in my height (6'2" or 74 inches which is the "X" in the equation) in the model and it resulted in 34.97-inch putter or about a half an inch longer than I'm currently using.  I'm guessing my 36-inch arms have something to do about that!

Of course, that makes sense.   There're more variables associated with relationship one has with his or her putter (or probably more accurately putters)!   Everyone's comments certainly back that up.

Nice work!  Brings back memories that, well quite frankly, are just fine being memories.  Of course the guys before me said "yeah, but we did it with slide rules".  When I left, I told the young bucks "yeah, but we did it with HP41's" 😜.  As to the data, I suspect that it could be skewed by the vast majority not having been fitted and just buying off the rack.  But I was curious to see if those on the tall vs. short side tended to buy putters accordingly.  Looks like more buy just based on feel... or maybe look... or maybe logo... headcover, all of the above???

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

6 foot and use a 34 inch putter, which I grip low on the grip such that my arms relaxed hanging below my shoulders with only minimal bend at the elbows.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice work!  Brings back memories that, well quite frankly, are just fine being memories.  Of course the guys before me said "yeah, but we did it with slide rules".  When I left, I told the young bucks "yeah, but we did it with HP41's" 😜.  As to the data, I suspect that it could be skewed by the vast majority not having been fitted and just buying off the rack.  But I was curious to see if those on the tall vs. short side tended to buy putters accordingly.  Looks like more buy just based on feel... or maybe look... or maybe logo... headcover, all of the above???

Didn't have a fitting, don't care about data. I just know what feels good, and that I am comfortable in my stance and set up. Putters should appeal to your eye. To each his own. Kinda whatever works for you, go with it. Spend as much as you like, or as little, as long as you are happy with it! I did!!

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I'm 6-4, was fit with a 37 1/4" length at SeeMore headquarters in Nashville about 8 or so years ago.  I've played that length since. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

5' 6" | 33" putter

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

6'3" - 37" putter

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

On 8/21/2020 at 1:42 AM, ED13 said:

The problem with the idea of using height to determine putter length is the length of your arms will have a huge impact.  Regardless of height some people will have shorter or longer than average arms.  Also consider how tall or bent over your stance is as well as how straight or bent your arms are and your height starts looking less significant.

I believe that everything you said is very very important.

You cannot go by height alone to determine putter length.  I'm 5' 5" and use a 33.5" length putter---that is what is comfortable for me.

Putting is completely different from the rest of the game and other clubs in the bag.

WITB:

MALTBY TS2 irons Mizuno 54* mpt11 wedge Inazone 58* wedge

MALTBY KE4 tour driver  Ray Cook putter M1X

Integra #3 fwy.  SMT #5 fwy.

5'7" - I use a 33" putter, and have for years.  When I was younger, I went with even shorter shafts, but it started bothering my back.  I especially like the 33" in the winter, because the butt end of the putter doesn't get hung up in my jacket when putting.