TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone know what these clubs are?

Hit the driving range earlier today and randomly ran into a friend carrying these:

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

He let me hit the wood (it's a 1 wood.... made great contact, but felt incredibly soft...) Picked it back up, looked at the head and realized the soft feel was the epoxy holding the head to the shaft having come loose, and the head having slid all the way down almost falling off.... (hope he didn't think I broke his wood)

Really wanted to hit the irons to see what those felt like and sounded like, but he had to make his tee time in just a minute, so he bailed, but he said he picked up the full set at a garage sale for $40.

Anyone know the background on these? Super awesome looking clubs.

These might've been made around the time that steel shafts first came onto the scene, which would explain the head coming off and the wierd grooves on the irons

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

• SPY VIP

J.C. Smith is the designer. He puts ball bearings in all of his designs. Was known as quite the character from things I heard from past designers.

#TruthDigest

at first I was sort of hoping the ball bearings were going to rattle in some way to create a sound on contact which seemed really retarded and really interesting/awesome at the same time!

does he still make stuff?

so... does that make them valuable? should I tell my buddy to not play them?

They might actually be. JC Smith started his business in the 1870s and he stopes making clubs in the 30s

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

• 3 weeks later...

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

"Willy: What the hell you need ball bearings for?

Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.

Fletch: Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State."

I think Twitter stole their logo from JC.

Archived