TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you trust the Arccos caddie?

I’ve had the Arccos sensors for a while, and like the tracking and stats, but am a little skeptical about the virtual caddie. In the last 2 rounds, for example, it gave the wind direction wrong (said it was in completely the opposite direction) and added yards. Just to test it out, I played the true yardage and the caddie yardage, and flew the wedge through the back (I’m pretty tight on my numbers with wedges). Playing the yardage from a rangefinder was spot on.

Arccos seems to be solid on slope, but the conditions adjustment seem a little sketchy, and the gps doesn’t seem to be the most accurate  - what are your experiences with this? I’ve found myself using Arccos and a range finder, and this “belt and braces” approach seems to defeat the purpose.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

GPS for tacking is spot on (iOS), I don’t use it for regular yardages much, but from the times I have it is been fine. Although I only use their middle yardage as there are times the green shape doesn’t match and this will throw front to back yardage off. As far as the caddie is concerned, again not a lot of usage, but I don’t think the weather is updated live. If the wind direction changes or is swirling at all it will not show it correctly. This happened to me last week at Poppy Hills. Wind was blowing and fog was in so laser’s weren’t working correctly, there were a couple of holes that the wind was the complete opposite of what it was actually doing. All that being said, the yardages calculations seem pretty accurate. You playing on 17 mile drive? Anytime I am over there GPS doesn’t work properly, always a delay. Not just golf apps but all GPS. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I've used the recommendation more than a few times while learning my new Forged Tec Irons.  I also like seeing what is recommended off the tee.  

There have been times my GPS was about 5 yards different than my friends, but I always check the flag with my rangefinder anyway, then make a play towards it or the middle of the green.

As far as wind goes I haven't noticed it being wrong, but with gusts and stuff I'm always doing some extra Bryson math in my head anyway.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have played a full round using strictly the caddy (minus maybe 2 shots) and it was great. Can also select the different clubs and will lay out the hole which is good if you’re struggling with a certain club. I will use the caddy more often especially on a course I’m not familiar with.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I know what your saying about the wrong wind direction.  Made me nervous too.  When I see that I just disregard. And I think their mapping/precision around the greens are suspect.  I’ve had a few exchanges with their support team where I’ve asked them to re-map holes at my home course as their map shows me on or off the green and I’m the opposite. They have done as I requested (awesome) but have also counseled me that MY phones gps may be a bit off...  I’ve just gotten the Link - four rounds in - so we’ll see if that improves.  But that’s really just about where the flag is/was and my first putt for stats purposes. 

But to using the caddie - I typically use it when I’m unsure. Especially on a new course, or if I’m playing a lot of slope, or a long shot, or just in a weird situation.  My best shot last fall was an Arccos’s caddie recommended 6 iron out of the rough, over water on the 18th to set up birdie to shoot 79  - so I tip my caddy for that one... 

Remember that Arccos’s is always learning... and adjusting your smart distances based on past performance  - what you hit, not what you think you hit 

Funny story - I recently put a 3 hybrid in my bag.  First time out I was having a bad day and just couldn’t get it airborne.  Kept topping it and hitting worm burners.  But I kept trying and trying repeatedly.  Now Arccos’s thinks my “smart distance” for that club is 110 yards...   The other day I was playing in the fog and couldn’t use my rangefinder so I looked at the Arccos’s gps to measure the distance to the front of the green and it was telling me to hit my 3H as it was 110 yards away...  Apparently I was between my GW and PW... 

It is always learning however, so I need to hit a few more 200 yd shots to get it to recommend my hybrid when I’m between my 8 and 9 irons... 😜

Last thought - whenever I’ve relied on the Arccos’s caddie for a suggestion (other than the 3H) I’ve never been disappointed. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

On 8/21/2020 at 1:18 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

GPS for tacking is spot on (iOS), I don’t use it for regular yardages much, but from the times I have it is been fine. Although I only use their middle yardage as there are times the green shape doesn’t match and this will throw front to back yardage off. As far as the caddie is concerned, again not a lot of usage, but I don’t think the weather is updated live. If the wind direction changes or is swirling at all it will not show it correctly. This happened to me last week at Poppy Hills. Wind was blowing and fog was in so laser’s weren’t working correctly, there were a couple of holes that the wind was the complete opposite of what it was actually doing. All that being said, the yardages calculations seem pretty accurate. You playing on 17 mile drive? Anytime I am over there GPS doesn’t work properly, always a delay. Not just golf apps but all GPS. 

Played in thick fog this morning at Spanish Bay for the first 6 holes and the gps was very helpful. The wind switches up from morning to afternoon here and Arccos doesn’t seem to update, so I go back to throwing some grass in the air and hoping for the best. Between the fog and the smoke, visibility hasn’t been the best for the past week so the gps has been invaluable.

Annoyingly, I used the Arccos caddie on Pebble last week and I was having the best round ever there - the app helped on a bunch of yardages. It gave me a yardage on 18 that didn’t feel right (the wind seemed to be different), but I trusted it because it had been spot on to that point, and I hit a gap wedge straight at the flag, got very excited and my heart sank when it flew the green into the bunker behind.

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

I've looked at the Caddie suggestions when previewing a new course, but have never actually used it while playing. I have used the GPS on occasion when a laser didn't make sense or I left my other GPS in the cart or something. I don't trust Arccos GPS as much as I do my SkyCaddie, but it typically isn't so far off as to be unusable. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Actually had some problems like that but I ended up getting rid of arccos bc it was just to much going on .. I actually played better just using my range finder and gps Garmin watch 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I have used the GPS and normally it is accurate to use for approach shots.  I have used it for tee shots but feel like it does not work for me on the tee,

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

I also found that the dashboard data is different from the stuff on my phone - handicaps for each aspect of my game are different, and it even puts shots in different places on the course when you review a round on the dashboard (I marked a drive into a fairway bunker, and on the dashboard it showed it on the fairway - I tried to move it, but there wasn’t enough of the hole on the screen to drag it into the bunker). I’m not that bothered about data being accurate to the very last shot, but the discrepancy is annoying.

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

I was one of the MyGolfSpy reviewers back in 2018 for Arccos 360 and I've been using them off and on for 2 years

I tried the Caddie feature a couple of times and stopped it. I suffered similar issues to you in wind conditions it would have wind direction and/or wind speed wrong. I don't know where they get the wind data from but I put this down to the fact that the course is on a hill 600 feet up and possibly the weather station is in the town below. Also some of the optimal recommendations it gave me were a bit scary, very risky driver strategies based purely on analytical data 

On the dashboard again I see similar issues, our 14th has a dogleg right to left at 200 yds, on my phone it looks fine and I can edit  my drive at 234 off the tee and it is in the middle of the fairway. dashboard has it at still at 234 but has moved it to the trees see below

image.png.afc0b70e095fe99c4dc470e8352c898d.png

The GPS spec of a Smartphone is 5 to 10 yds but when I compared it to my Skycaddies in general it was only a couple of yds out on Front, Middle, Back. But You can see these inaccuracies if you have a pin close to the edge of the green and you go to "set flag" and your position is off the green.  The phone only uses a subset of satellites that a dedicated GPS uses. This is why when you turn on your Skycaddie or Shotscope on it takes a few minutes to  give you the yardages. I also believe the Arccos Link is now a dedicated GPS device that will give better accuracy than your phone

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I have had pretty good luck with the caddie recommendations. On our league course, it really helps to know if Arccos thinks it's a half club, full club, or whatever breeze. When I played 3 rounds in Illinois a couple weeks ago, the winds were pretty steady in speed and direction. Like someone else mentioned, swirling winds or the location of the nearest weather station likely impact the accuracy. I know for our league course, there is a weather station about 0.25 miles away (who knows if Arccos is actually getting data from it, though).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges