TESTERS WANTED! ×

Just tested P770/MC/MB - Feed back & will I change?

Manimal26

Am I correct in presuming that one of the HUGE perks of working in the golf equipment fitting industry is the opportunity to test all the various permutations of clubs and shafts?  I'd have a hard time staying focused on the job 🤪.  Question.... do you fit yourself or rely on one of your fellow fitters?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

50 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Am I correct in presuming that one of the HUGE perks of working in the golf equipment fitting industry is the opportunity to test all the various permutations of clubs and shafts?  I'd have a hard time staying focused on the job 🤪.  Question.... do you fit yourself or rely on one of your fellow fitters?

So the P family should all be out to test at a PGA store or Golf galaxy near you as of today... our full sets came in today but I took them for a whirl before our club building team started converting them into demo heads since TM only sends 7i in their fitting matrix...

it part of the job and kind of like a car... you can read about it on the web all you want but until you test drive it you really don’t know 100%... but it is def a perk when there is something I am interested in for sure... 

as to the other part of the question... It’s hard to be objective with your self, but I can eliminate things a little quickly which helps narrow things down quicker. That being said I actually get fit by other fitters and I take their recommendations. I know the numbers I am trying to get and what I am trying to achieve which also helps. I trust 2-3 fitters near me and I go to them for different  parts of my bag since each is better at certain aspects... 

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Question for your comparisons to other companies irons:

• Wouldn't the 770 be a better comparison to the JPX 921 forged or the MMC rather than the tour?
  • Wouldn't the MC be a better comparison to the JPX tour rather than the MMC? 

It seems to me like comparing the 770 to the JPX tour would be a tough since the JPX tour is a tour CB and less forgiving than the MMC by comparison

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

19 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

Question for your comparisons to other companies irons:

• Wouldn't the 770 be a better comparison to the JPX 921 forged or the MMC rather than the tour?
  • Wouldn't the MC be a better comparison to the JPX tour rather than the MMC? 

It seems to me like comparing the 770 to the JPX tour would be a tough since the JPX tour is a tour CB and less forgiving than the MMC by comparison

I was comparing based on the market of the player they are going after from a lineup perspective. The 921 forged, is at best a border line players iron. It has more offset than the P770 and is much longer in blade length and IMO is the most players in the players distance category. Now Taylormade's marketing story is trying to re-brand the P770, but if you look at the P760 it was a technology driven CB much like the tour and t-100. TM is also trying to capture some of the PXG fruit with the hollow head remake. The MP lineup is the more traditional style club where the JPX is the more technology driven lineup. If you look at the Mizuno MP-20 MMC it looks like TM copied it from a forging and story perspective for the P7MC. Also because Mizuno has 2 iron lineups and TM/Titleist does not there could be some cross over comparison for sure. From a forgiveness perspective none of these clubs in reality are super forgiving. They are tour level clubs and require ball striking ability. TM is a marketing machine though and they are pitching the idea  of the P770 as maybe more of a players distance club that can be mixed with P790, but with out a doubt the P770 is a players iron just not one I would play. 

Here is the Mizuno release press echoing what I am saying... rush ahead to like 47 min and listen in...

https://mizunogolf.com/us/blog/mizuno-golf-live-jpx921-iron-discussion-with-chris-voshall/

On 8/26/2020 at 11:52 AM, Manimal26 said:

I was comparing based on the market of the player they are going after from a lineup perspective. The 921 forged, is at best a border line players iron. It has more offset than the P770 and is much longer in blade length and IMO is the most players in the players distance category. Now Taylormade's marketing story is trying to re-brand the P770, but if you look at the P760 it was a technology driven CB much like the tour and t-100. TM is also trying to capture some of the PXG fruit with the hollow head remake. The MP lineup is the more traditional style club where the JPX is the more technology driven lineup. If you look at the Mizuno MP-20 MMC it looks like TM copied it from a forging and story perspective for the P7MC. Also because Mizuno has 2 iron lineups and TM/Titleist does not there could be some cross over comparison for sure. From a forgiveness perspective none of these clubs in reality are super forgiving. They are tour level clubs and require ball striking ability. TM is a marketing machine though and they are pitching the idea  of the P770 as maybe more of a players distance club that can be mixed with P790, but with out a doubt the P770 is a players iron just not one I would play. 

Here is the Mizuno release press echoing what I am saying... rush ahead to like 47 min and listen in...

https://mizunogolf.com/us/blog/mizuno-golf-live-jpx921-iron-discussion-with-chris-voshall/

That makes sense. But given what you said about the 770 marketing, I know its not a new iron, but wouldn't it be extremely similar to the Mizuno HMB's?

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

3 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

That makes sense. But given what you said about the 770 marketing, I know its not a new iron, but wouldn't it be extremely similar to the Mizuno HMB's?

the P-790 would be more like the HMB... The P770 is a players iron where the MP-20 HMB is squarely in the players distance... HMB has much more offset and a chunky top line. The blade length is also much longer as well. Mizuno is an Iron company with 2 distinct line ups in the JPX and MP where TM has only the P-Family of irons. 

HMB = P790 = T200 = JPX 921 Forged (all players distance)

After this it gets a little hazy

JPX 921 Tour = P770 = T100 > MP20 MMC (MMC much stronger lofts)

MP20 MMC = T100s > JPX 921 forged (921 forged I feel is the closet PD iron to being a players but it is still a Distance iron)

MP20 MB's = P7MB = 620MB

P7MC = 620CB > JPX 921 tour > MP20 MMC (tour much more technology driven and MMC much stronger in the lofts) 

Hopefully this helps and does not confuse lol!!! 😄

Are you just talking about better Player’s and Player’s distance irons?  Those segments while growing are probably the smaller segments of the iron market.

Doesn’t Taylormade also have the SIM Iron line besides the P Series? 

Titleist has expanded their line some with the T series compared to the AP line: T100, T100S, T200, T300 & T400 & the CB & MB.  Dropping the TMB but still offering their CNCPT line.  

Mizuno has now overhauled all of their MP & JPX lines.

What about Callaway with it’s three distinct lines: Apex, Maverick and Big Bertha irons?

Lots going on in the iron market this year.

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

12 hours ago, Hoyoymac said:

Are you just talking about better Player’s and Player’s distance irons?  Those segments while growing are probably the smaller segments of the iron market.

Doesn’t Taylormade also have the SIM Iron line besides the P Series? 

Titleist has expanded their line some with the T series compared to the AP line: T100, T100S, T200, T300 & T400 & the CB & MB.  Dropping the TMB but still offering their CNCPT line.  

Mizuno has now overhauled all of their MP & JPX lines.

What about Callaway with it’s three distinct lines: Apex, Maverick and Big Bertha irons?

Lots going on in the iron market this year.

So I thought I broke it down the best I could. Sim Marverik etc are all in the game improvement area. Guess we could break it down to traditional players irons technology players iron players distance game improvement and super game improvement etc each has some cross over... honestly not going to touch callaway anything but that’s a personal choice...

15 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

So I thought I broke it down the best I could. Sim Marverik etc are all in the game improvement area. Guess we could break it down to traditional players irons technology players iron players distance game improvement and super game improvement etc each has some cross over... honestly not going to touch callaway anything but that’s a personal choice...

You broke it down just fine.  Appreciate all the detailed thoughts. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I’ve been playing the p7mc with project x 6.0 for about 3 months now. Ordered them to place my ‘09 cobra forged pro mb/cb combo set. When testing I loved the look and feel of them but I went to a Taylormade fitting session and didn’t compare them to the other models out there. Now I find myself losing a lot of distance throughout the set, even compared to when I got fitted. Getting buyers remorse and considering switching to the t100s. I thought about doing a gapping session to check my numbers, haven’t done that since getting the set.

any advice?

WITB

Titleist TS3 9.5 HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g

Titleist TS2 15 Diamana LTD S+ Blue 70g

P790 2i HZRDUS 100g

P7MC 3-P Project X 6.0 (lie -2)

Vokey Wedge 52, 58 (lie -2)

Scotty Cameron CA Monterey 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 12:16 PM, Manimal26 said:

the P-790 would be more like the HMB... The P770 is a players iron where the MP-20 HMB is squarely in the players distance... HMB has much more offset and a chunky top line. The blade length is also much longer as well. Mizuno is an Iron company with 2 distinct line ups in the JPX and MP where TM has only the P-Family of irons. 

HMB = P790 = T200 = JPX 921 Forged (all players distance)

After this it gets a little hazy

JPX 921 Tour = P770 = T100 > MP20 MMC (MMC much stronger lofts)

MP20 MMC = T100s > JPX 921 forged (921 forged I feel is the closet PD iron to being a players but it is still a Distance iron)

MP20 MB's = P7MB = 620MB

P7MC = 620CB > JPX 921 tour > MP20 MMC (tour much more technology driven and MMC much stronger in the lofts) 

Hopefully this helps and does not confuse lol!!! 😄

This is super helpful as most of these irons are on my list for possible purchase this year! 🙌

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV