TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tacoma Area course recommendations

Coming to Tacoma Friday Sept 18, to play Chambers Bay Sept 21 & 22 (Mon & Tues). Looking for courses near SeaTac/Tacoma for Saturday and Sunday. Preferably not too far from Tacoma, don't want to drive more than about 45 minutes each way. Ideally somewhere with 2 courses, so we can play morning and afternoon.

9 hours ago, EclecticTaste said:

Coming to Tacoma Friday Sept 18, to play Chambers Bay Sept 21 & 22 (Mon & Tues). Looking for courses near SeaTac/Tacoma for Saturday and Sunday. Preferably not too far from Tacoma, don't want to drive more than about 45 minutes each way. Ideally somewhere with 2 courses, so we can play morning and afternoon.

Gold Mountain GC...  Olympic Course and Cascade Course.  Olympic is the better one.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Gold Mountain GC...  Olympic Course and Cascade Course.  Olympic is the better one.

+1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

If you want a few a bit closer to Tacoma; Ft. Lewis (now Eagles Pride), The Home Course, Northshore, Meadowpark, and Allenmore are all fun.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 hours ago, Kenny B said:

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

If you want a few a bit closer to Tacoma; Ft. Lewis (now Eagles Pride), The Home Course, Northshore, Meadowpark, and Allenmore are all fun.  

Thanks, I'll look at all these and make some decisions.

2 hours ago, EclecticTaste said:

Thanks, I'll look at all these and make some decisions.

Keep us posted on how it goes.  The Home Course is nice; been a long time since I played it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 1 month later...

Trip report. We arrived Friday afternoon (Sept 18), greeted with tons of rain. Concerned with forecast for the rest of the weekend, and potential conditions at the courses.

Day 1, Saturday - The Home Course. Very nice course, excellent condition considering the amount of rain they received the day before. Only managed 1 1/2 rounds due to late start time (10:30). Staff was really friendly and helpful, apologized for not having open clubhouse due to COVID.  My rank: 7/10

Day 2 - Gold Mountain, Cascade and Olympic courses. Fabulous courses. Up in the mountains, surrounded by tall pines, very scenic and beautiful layout. Very similar to courses in Lake Tahoe area.  We played Cascade then Olympic, and I think that was the proper order. Front 9 is relatively easy, a good warmup to the back 9, and then Olympic, which is very challenging. We all agreed Olympic was worth playing again and again. Greens were very quick, much faster than the Home Course's, which were slowed due to the heavy rain the day before. Rank: 8/10 (Cascade) and 9/10 (Olympic).1033934799_IMG_20200920_155404_HDR1.jpg.4cdda5149df29e7a1c46ee216c8a4876.jpg792840446_IMG_20200920_164609_HDR1.jpg.5d7c7eaeec40ceb854b6b5a443a9e8e7.jpg

Days 3 (2 rounds), & 4 (1 round) - Chambers Bay. What can I say, a fantastic course, great condition. The greens had been punched the week before, but were still in really good shape, but a little slower than normal, according to the player's assistant and a couple people we talked to who had played there many times before.  The layout is spectacular, the elevation changes makes for a tough walk, but seeing the entire course from pretty much every hole was cool. Definitely need to work on your bunker game, those massive sand areas are no joke.  Personally, I wouldn't call it a true links course, but a great facsimile. I've played in Scotland & Bandon, and CB is not quite the same as those.  The lack of any wind might be clouding my judgement, we had absolutely perfect weather, barely any wind. I understand this is a debatable opinion, not looking to start a fight.  Also, need to point out that the staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful, gave our entire group discounts for state residency, and first responder discount as well (1 guy's son lives in Seattle, and 2 guys are in medical field).  Rank: 10/10.

1393809725_IMG_20200922_095340_HDR1.jpg.ee52f6804d7be9140b7f5882671bcfb7.jpg

1759372534_IMG_20200922_113454_HDR1.jpg.c42352e61c4013a358fbc057dfda993c.jpg1491967600_IMG_20200922_133849_HDR1.jpg.e9acc58b3c38663dcb1432234fb22edb.jpg

Overall, I'd say you guys nailed it on course recommendations, all the locals we talked to recommended these courses as well as a few others like Trophy Club and Salish Cliffs.

Edited by EclecticTaste
Removed duplicate photo

Solid courses! Had I seen this before you got your replies my recommendations would have been the exact same. Love Gold Mountain, and the Home Course is a very enjoyable round

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x