Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tiger dumps Stevie

72strokes

Tiger dumps Stevie

by Derek on July 20, 2011

steve-williams-346x500.jpg

Tiger announced on his website today that he was ending his working relationship with his caddie of 12 years, Steve Williams.

I want to express my deepest gratitude to Stevie for all his help, but I think it's time for a change,” Woods said. “Stevie is an outstanding caddie and a friend and has been instrumental in many of my accomplishments. I wish him great success in the future.

I can't say that nobody had speculated this might happen after Stevie started looping for Adam Scott while Tiger rehabs his knee, but it's still quite a surprising development in the Tiger Woods saga.

It certainly caught Stevie by surprise:

After 13 years of loyal service needless to say this came as a shock. Given the circumstances of the past 18 months working through Tiger's scandal, a new coach and with it a major swing change and Tiger battling through injuries I am very disappointed to end our very successful partnership at this time.

I have had the opportunity to work of late for Australian Adam Scott and will now caddy for him on a permanent basis.

Looks like the big winner in all of this is Adam Scott, who is getting a full-time caddy with a ton of experience at winning majors. Could this move by Tiger be what helps propel Scott towards his first major victory?

[image Flicker/Keith Allison]

Derek

72strokeslogo_green.jpg

Archived