I hate to reignite the loft controversy, but...

Our Sponsors

Yes, that would be correct. The top players in the game hit down with their irons by a significant amount and they deloft at impact. With that, they can play more traditional, weaker lofts because they can maintain good launch angles and transfer energy to the ball better.

But again it's all about getting fit to your swing dynamics. Bryson had to strengthen his lofts a significant amount this year as his added speed was creating way too much spin, so his ball flights were ballooning.

The SGI irons are designed for players who flip the club through impact and have very shallow angles of attack that present additional loft at impact. Taking the loft off for them manages their launch angles and provides for a better energy transfer to the ball.

There's a lot that goes into this which is why it's so important to get fit for your swing dynamics.

so if you deloft at impact, you technically should go weaker in loft on your clubs to keep trajectory, if i understand correctly. I know shaft loading and unloading can dictate this as well. I wish i could bend the lofts of my gamers, but i think the bounce would get affected too much

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2
14 hours ago, MadMex said:

Any thought that maybe, maybe the ball also something to do with all this?

I think it does I don't know if you have watched any of the TXG iron videos, but there is a broad range that can greatly help increase or decrease spin. In a live stream today testing the 921 line in the Hot Metal(Pro) and Forged they went with the Mizuno Tour ball and it was spinning close to 1,000 more than the Snell MTB taking a low spin GI and making it that much more playable. This can greatly increase carry and roll out turning a playable 6 iron into one that's too hot and can't hold a green.

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

1 hour ago, FrogginBullfish said:

The SGI irons are designed for players who flip the club through impact and have very shallow angles of attack that present additional loft at impact. Taking the loft off for them manages their launch angles and provides for a better energy transfer to the ball.

I wasn't aware of the above. I had thought high handicappers were generally steeper.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I wasn't aware of the above. I had thought high handicappers were generally steeper.

Steeper and AOA are very different. 

• Like 1

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

22 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Steeper and AOA are very different. 

Thanks, i am still learning.

I am going to do some reading

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/angle-attack-golf/

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

4 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I mean if you want to take one guy's word on it over the literal teams of engineers at the top manufacturers then by all means.

I'm going to take my knowledge and the knowledge of those teams of engineers at companies like Ping, Titleist, TaylorMade, Callaway, PXG, Cobra, Mizuno, etc. over the knowledge of a niche clubmaker with a borderline cult following though.

When that "one guy" is a club designer with several decades in the tank, whose comments are available for to be read by anyone, as opposed to hearing a second-hand/third-hand/etc paraphrased comment?  Yeah, I think so.

Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 44"; Cobra King LTD, HZRDUS Black 75, 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"; TM Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, DGS300; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram 1980 Tour Grinds, Dynamic S; 2-PW MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; 1-PW Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S; 2-PW Ram TG-898, Nippon Super Peening Blue X
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34", round no taper grip
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or Kirkland Signature 3 pc, or TM TP5

23 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

There you go not listening again.

You clearly don't know what a ballooning ball flight is. Ballooning comes from an abundance of spin which cause the ball to rise in flight, like a balloon, through the Magnus Effect.

The flying too high with GI comes from players that add dynamic loft, which with more "traditional lofts" would create a launch angle that is too high. That's what creates a ball flight that is too high to be gameable.

But sure, keep bleating about on about marketing when you clearly know nothing about physics and engineering.

I’m not the one claiming ballooning was an issue, that’s from your loft jacking compadres. You want to assume your’re the only one with any technical understanding, but you’re not. But I agree you can’t hear any counterpoint as you’re mind is made up, based on facts that support your established view. I won’t waste your time, or mine. There was no physics or engineering reason to decouple the traditional loft/club number relationships, that’s marketing - no other reason for a 27* 7-iron...

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)
On 8/23/2020 at 2:04 PM, NRJyzr said:

Ping G400/G410/G700 all have a CG higher than the Eye2.

True enough...except that the photo suggests the PE2 data is a 5i.  You know, it's amazing how advanced the PE2's were for their time.

image.png.f616ff6fc26be6d642f21c5f9ad4b955.png

image.png.4d9888a5740a8af7000b661be1284ff0.png

image.png.b4014ec956c1af45d0f255c555fb3378.png

image.png.863bc677d626fa9cce287e0b514b19a9.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

You keep conflating ballooning with launch angles being too high creating ball flights that are too high. They are two different things as I've already explained in this thread. No one in any of the previous threads on the subject has claimed ballooning as an issue with GI and SGI irons. You've brought it up in this thread as something people are claiming, which no one has been, which just further asserts that you don't actually know the difference between a ballooning flight and a ball that launches too high and flies too high.

Either way, I'm beyond done having this conversation with you. Literally all you do is whine that no one listens to you on the subject. We do. Your claims are just wrong and I've provided more than enough evidence to support that. You just choose not to listen to it cause you'd rather complain about marketing.

I’m not the one claiming ballooning was an issue, that’s from your loft jacking compadres. You want to assume your’re the only one with any technical understanding, but you’re not. But I agree you can’t hear any counterpoint as you’re mind is made up, based on facts that support your established view. I won’t waste your time, or mine. There was no physics or engineering reason to decouple the traditional loft/club number relationships, that’s marketing - no other reason for a 27* 7-iron...

• Like 1