TESTERS WANTED! ×

Weekly stories from the playgroup.

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

For me, one of the best aspects of playing golf is the chance to goof around with my friends a couple of times a month. I thought it would be fun to have a thread to share what went on with the group during the latest outing. Maybe give quick demographics of the group, list some highs and lows of the round, goofy/cool photos, & etc.

My group is made up of about 20 guys who are connected to each other one way or another. I started the group when the game dug its claws into me in 2008. I have a great job with every Friday off. This seemed like the perfect day to play so I just started sending emails to my friends to see who could play Friday after they got off work. Over the past two years, the "Weekly Golf" email list grew and grew until we reached the 20 or so interested guys. Any given Friday we may have 2 -12 guys to play. Typically just time for 9 holes of casual golf. Sometimes we sneak out to dinner after too.

Occasionally some of them can get loose earlier and we hit another course for 18. Many Fridays, I play 9 or 18 early and then meet the others in the afternoon for the sponsored by Sierra Nevada round.

We are chomping at the bit for daylight savings time...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great topic!

Yesterday I played with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while. Big mistake! He's a bit too enamored with the wacky tabacky, which he had to consume that day (discreetly at least) along with several beers. Of course, our pace was slowed unnecessarily, and I couldn't wait till the round was over.

But here's the kicker ... his firstborn is due literally any day now. How he'll maintain any semblance of normality - and sanity - is beyond me

Being back home, where I hope to stay forever, I've finally found a regular game for myself. It's a rotating group of teachers and some oddly connected acquaintances that is a lot of fun to play with. The standing bet is the "Snickers Hole" which is actually every par 3. Closest to the hole wins $1 from everyone else, but you need to make par to collect the money. My first week I walked out with $6 and I can't wait for the group to get started again this summer.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Being back home, where I hope to stay forever, I've finally found a regular game for myself. It's a rotating group of teachers and some oddly connected acquaintances that is a lot of fun to play with. The standing bet is the "Snickers Hole" which is actually every par 3. Closest to the hole wins $1 from everyone else, but you need to make par to collect the money. My first week I walked out with $6 and I can't wait for the group to get started again this summer.

Stealing that game.

Our group has a handful of teachers too. Finish with the students at 3 and get to the course. One of the fools did sign on to coach tennis this semester though.

Volvo Intorqueo

I normally play (and take this for what it's worth) with the fellas I work with in a 9 hole Tuesday night league. The league is at a local executive course with a par of 30/31 61. That is the most fun I have on a golf course at any time. Since the course is short, and we all think we can play, par is usually not a very good score in our minds. Last year, one dude in our group shot an unreal 5 under for 9. He was insufferable for the next 3 weeks. Great league, great guys, lots of fun. I shall have many many stories to tell....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Stealing that game.

Our group has a handful of teachers too. Finish with the students at 3 and get to the course. One of the fools did sign on to coach tennis this semester though.

Coaching tennis...sounds like work. Coaching golf is where it's at. For anyone who wants to understand what coaching golf is like, I always share this story:

I was sitting in the clubhouse ("coaching") with some other coaches (we had 3 schools, boys and girls, practicing at the same course). Coach A says to Coach B, "You know, Team B and Team C are both looking pretty good this year. Your match may come down to coaching." Coach B responds, "Well, if that's the case, I feel pretty good because I can sit in this clubhouse as well as anyone."

My play group consists of about 25+ friends, who have known each each for over 15 years and more. We have a State Sponsored Golf Club, a golf blog, trips to Myrtle Beach and other 1-2 day trips. We play at least twice a month, a mix of people. Nothing beats golf with friends!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

My play group consists of about 25+ friends, who have known each each for over 15 years and more. We have a State Sponsored Golf Club, a golf blog, trips to Myrtle Beach and other 1-2 day trips. We play at least twice a month, a mix of people. Nothing beats golf with friends!

This is what I hope my group will grow into in the future. Most of the members are too casual to get an official index though. Most are cheap b**t**ds too. :(

:blink:

Volvo Intorqueo

Nothing beats golf with friends!

Beating friends AT golf...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

My pretty solid foursome, me my buddies Edgar, Jeff and Chef. I have countless stories, things that shouldn't even be printed, but I will always remember looking behind me while driving, and hitting this wooden rail on a mounded tee book and ejecting myself and Edgar from the cart, about 30 feet each. Wow it hurt!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

My pretty solid foursome, me my buddies Edgar, Jeff and Chef. I have countless stories, things that shouldn't even be printed, but I will always remember looking behind me while driving, and hitting this wooden rail on a mounded tee book and ejecting myself and Edgar from the cart, about 30 feet each. Wow it hurt!

:D

Good thing you took up golf and not NASCAR.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I just need to not drive when we play golf, much safer for everyone!

We do play the hit the passenger with the seat rail game from time to time. Little gas, just as they go to sit. Stupid funny. Was great when my brother went through "the golf cart is the General Lee" phase of getting in the cart. He ended up ass over ears more than once.

Volvo Intorqueo

My worst golf cart story comes from a time before I could legally pilot an automobile (well before, actually). I was playing golf with my dad, and really all I wanted to do was drive the cart. Dad's ball was on the side of a steep hill, and instead driving straight up the hill, I started driving perpendicular to the slope. That didn't work out well for anyone.

• SPY VIP

My worst golf cart story comes from a time before I could legally pilot an automobile (well before, actually). I was playing golf with my dad, and really all I wanted to do was drive the cart. Dad's ball was on the side of a steep hill, and instead driving straight up the hill, I started driving perpendicular to the slope. That didn't work out well for anyone.

We had a cart for the Father/Son tourny with little linkers last summer. Let the boy (9) drive until my pulse rate hit 200 bpm. Classic full gas/full brake kid driving.

Volvo Intorqueo

We do that sometimes when we have a large group playing together, drive up to the tee box when a friend is teeing off and slam on the brakes!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

The team I used to coach was fond of "cart tag" where they would make another cart "It" by kicking it while driving. I was completely unaware of this, or I obviously would have stopped it. I definitely never participated. And I did not inhale.

Coaching tennis...sounds like work. Coaching golf is where it's at. For anyone who wants to understand what coaching golf is like, I always share this story:

I was sitting in the clubhouse ("coaching") with some other coaches (we had 3 schools, boys and girls, practicing at the same course). Coach A says to Coach B, "You know, Team B and Team C are both looking pretty good this year. Your match may come down to coaching." Coach B responds, "Well, if that's the case, I feel pretty good because I can sit in this clubhouse as well as anyone."

That's a really funny story. I played High School golf and it was pretty much the same deal. Didn't really see much of coach during the matches - mostly on the range.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

That's a really funny story. I played High School golf and it was pretty much the same deal. Didn't really see much of coach during the matches - mostly on the range.

sounds like a pretty serious coach....

I watched my boss shoot himself in the finger with the nailgun the other day, then fell off a scaffold (only 3 feet, I'm fine lol) while laughing at him

I have a revolving WITB policy.

• SPY VIP

I watched my boss shoot himself in the finger with the nailgun the other day, then fell off a scaffold (only 3 feet, I'm fine lol) while laughing at him

I am not sure that a play group should have nail guns :)

Volvo Intorqueo

Here's the story from my weekly group:

We're waiting for golf weather to come to KC. :)

Yea... that sounds familiar... I can almost see my whole back yard... only about 30% covered in snow...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I used to play with a group of guys. Then, I saw that late night infomercial with Jack Hamm and decided to start screaming P-o-o-o-o-o-o-w after every drive to gain extra distance. Now nobody will play with me.

Perhaps if I had gone with the Sun-in mullet, fake bake, and gold id chain necklace it would have been different...

Hamm.jpg

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I used to play with a group of guys. Then, I saw that late night infomercial with Jack Hamm and decided to start screaming P-o-o-o-o-o-o-w after every drive to gain extra distance. Now nobody will play with me.

Perhaps if I had gone with the Sun-in mullet, fake bake, and gold id chain necklace it would have been different...

Hamm.jpg

I expect to see the Hammer when we tee it up this summer. Inverted shape technology! 1 shaft fits all!

Archived