Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter Grip or Style issue?

TexasFullSend

What up! So I have a Ping Sigma G putter that I used for close to a year. When I picked it, I used their "No Arc, Slight Arc, Strong Arc" fitting bands and which the putter falls under the slight arc style. I later replaced the grip with a SuperStroke Pistol GT. Around June of this year I purchased a PXG Closer Gen 2 with a Flat Cat grip (Slightly bigger and the putter is face balanced). I have noticed that on the back stroke when I'm putting I can feel my hands fighting the putter head from twisting (my hands want to twist and the face balanced putter won't allow it).

Do y'all think that the main reason my hands are fighting the PXG putter is because it is face balanced and/or if I were to change the putter grip to the SuperStroke Pistol GT I would get less resistance from the putter? I know some fitters say that by adding a thicker grip it quiets the hands. 

Let me know!

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

3 hours ago, TexasFullSend said:

What up! So I have a Ping Sigma G putter that I used for close to a year. When I picked it, I used their "No Arc, Slight Arc, Strong Arc" fitting bands and which the putter falls under the slight arc style. I later replaced the grip with a SuperStroke Pistol GT. Around June of this year I purchased a PXG Closer Gen 2 with a Flat Cat grip (Slightly bigger and the putter is face balanced). I have noticed that on the back stroke when I'm putting I can feel my hands fighting the putter head from twisting (my hands want to twist and the face balanced putter won't allow it).

Do y'all think that the main reason my hands are fighting the PXG putter is because it is face balanced and/or if I were to change the putter grip to the SuperStroke Pistol GT I would get less resistance from the putter? I know some fitters say that by adding a thicker grip it quiets the hands. 

Let me know!

Sounds like the putter is fighting your natural tendencies. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Interesting question, Flat Cat is designed to hold your wrist/palms square so if you roll your wrists then it is the grip.  I have a Flat Cat grip on my blade putter (mid toe balance) and a SuperStroke Fat Grip on my Callaway BB (face balanced). My normal stroke is straight. I only just found out that I have been using in theory the wrong putter balance for my stroke however my previous putter was a Titlist Bullseye and that is toe balanced but I used to be deadly accurate with it until it got bent. Ever since I have had the blade putter I found my misses are always a pull which seems to make sense with a toe bias. Going to swap grips and see what difference if any it makes.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 4 weeks later...

I just moved away from the super stroke Flatso grip to the Gravity grip. I played one round with it. I have an odyssey o works 7 (fork style) with the slant neck shaft. I will say I’m pretty impressed. It took all 3 of the flat areas I was using to help with face alignment and simplified it down to just 2. The weighted rod in the underside of the grip is making for a more stable heavier feeling stroke. I had a tendency to turn the face over or left or closed it when I was trying hard to make important putts. This grip removes that lever from the grip surface. It is kind of an oval shape with a very small flat thumb rest area when you are looking down from above, down towards the head. Right hand index finger sits below the actual shaft removing the dreaded turned over face at impact. 

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased an Oversize Forward putter grip and was wondering if anyone has used one of these. I received it on Wed and had it installed on my putter yesterday. Hoping I can get out and five it a try this weekend. All comments are welcome

Driver-Honma TW747

3 wood-Tour Edge CBX 119

Irons Tour Edge EXS

Putter-SeeMore SB 20 Offset shaft

On 8/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, TexasFullSend said:

Let me know!

If you check out the study here from a couple years ago they suggest that pistol type grips promote more of a closed face at impact. Based on what you're saying it's probably a bit of both, but a pistol grip could help that feeling a bit. https://mygolfspy.com/study-the-impact-of-pistol-grips-on-putting-performance/

Anecdotally, I typically prefer pistol grips, and test drove my friend's putter with similar toe hang but a superstroke flatso for a round this summer and I pushed almost every putt.

Dr: Callaway XR '15 9.5* S - Project X (LH)

3WD: Taylormade M3 XS Aldila (LH)

3H: Cobra F6 19.5* S (LH)

4-AW: Taylormade PSi KBS Tour S120 (LH)

SW: Nike CCI cast (LH)

LW: Cobra Pur 60* widelow (LH)

P: Scotty Cameron Sonoma 33" (2012) (RH)

On 8/25/2020 at 2:14 PM, TexasFullSend said:

Let me know!

I recently picked up a Forward oversize putter grip. The majority of the grip is in front of the shaft and it has improved the pace on my putts. 3 rounds no 3 putts. Give it a try

Driver-Honma TW747

3 wood-Tour Edge CBX 119

Irons Tour Edge EXS

I’m going back to SS 5.0   I tend to get to handsy with the thinner grips 

For myself I find that I’m more consistent with a shoulder motion arc type stroke but my hands wants to get involved and rotate the putter head too much with the thinner grips. 

• 4 weeks later...

so many grips out there. it gets overwhelming. I've tried a dozen or so of the top grips. I have quite a few more on my list that I would like to try like the gravity grip and garsen. but honestly, since going left hand low, within a half dozen rounds I've gone from the worst putter in my group to the best. I'm threatening edges on everything right now. And just using the stock evnroll grip. Wasted alot of time chasing after different grips to solve the problem, when I needed to change mine. 

Might be worth reflecting on your own grip. Might not be as drastic as switching hands, but playing around with a straight right index finger or reverse overlap if you havent truly experimented before, is cheaper than buying new grips every month. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

@TexasFullSend

I think you may have a potential combination of issues with the grip and putter design. If you do have an arc to you swing and you are using a higher MOI face-balanced putter like your PXG, then it may fight you a little. The Flat Cat grip being wider might also be exacerbating the feeling of the club fighting you as it gives the club a little more leverage against you while putting. I have a moderate arc to my putting stroke and would say that I usually don't fight putters with no toe hang. However, my miss is a push unlike your pull. I would recommend trying a different grip and if the problem persists, maybe try another putter. The PXG putter looks nice but if it isn't for you, then it isn't for you. Before you do anything, you might also try a few putts without your normal arc stroke (go SBST) to see if you get the same feeling of the club fighting you.

1 hour ago, Kansas King said:

(go SBST) 

SBST isn't real.  The putter moves along an inclined plane and unless you are manipulating the stroke it won't move SBST.   Having a more vertical plane will reduce the arc,  but unless the putter shaft is at 90* you have an arc. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

SBST isn't real.  The putter moves along an inclined plane and unless you are manipulating the stroke it won't move SBST.   Having a more vertical plane will reduce the arc,  but unless the putter shaft is at 90* you have an arc. 

Truer words were never spoken. Additionally a putter shaft at 90 degrees is illegal. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

15 minutes ago, joen said:

Truer words were never spoken. Additionally a putter shaft at 90 degrees is illegal. 

It cannot be inserted in the putter at 90*,  but I don't think there is anything against the rules that says you can't hold it at 90*;  you could also get SBST by standing sidesaddle.  But most players won't do that. 

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It cannot be inserted in the putter at 90*,  but I don't think there is anything against the rules that says you can't hold it at 90*;  you could also get SBST by standing sidesaddle.  But most players won't do that. 

Yes. You are correct. I should have clarified my statement.  They don’t want the shaft at 90 degrees to the head of the putter because then you could truly perform a SBST stroke in a pendulum manner and putting would be much simpler. 

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 12:34 PM, Haro said:

I’m going back to SS 5.0   I tend to get to handsy with the thinner grips 

For myself I find that I’m more consistent with a shoulder motion arc type stroke but my hands wants to get involved and rotate the putter head too much with the thinner grips. 

I've just installed a Superstroke 5>0 counterweighted grip on my SeeMore SB20. Feels great putting indoors and really feel like I'm able to keep putter face square. Can't wait for warmer weather but may have to wait a while

Driver-Honma TW747

3 wood-Tour Edge CBX 119

Irons Tour Edge EXS

I installed a Golf Pride SNSR grip on a 20 year old Slotline SSi693, a heavy(265) mid mallet and it feels terrific. Have the same grip on SC Kombi.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

It could be worth trying different grips. For me, I’ve tried so many different styles but what helps me is the pistolero from Scotty because the emphasized axe handle helps lock my top hand to give me a secure grip. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I recently got my Corza ghost back that i loved putting with, just didn't like the insert and remember why i loved it. It had a Super Stroke 3.0 Slim on it. Much bigger than the Odyssey oversize I have on my Las Vegas. Anyone know the best way to change out the grips on a Stroke lab with the weight that is has in the shaft? I would like to experiment with this grip in there as it seems to quiet my hands.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Super stroke Pistol GT 2.0 is one of my favorites, also even a notch above it is the the golf pride tour Sensor 140 cc, which fits my rather large hands quite well.  I can just palm a basketball.  These larger grips currently being offered definitely made me a better putter in the last five years.  I forgot what book I was reading about it, five years ago. Maybe Steve Stricker.... grip pressure must be light to putt well.  But to me searching grips became about comfort and reducing grip pressure, the larger grips allowed my natural closed hand to hold on the club lightly for the first time ever. The relaxed grip pressure allowed a very beautiful stroke.  Then I started comparing all of the grips on the market the oversized Odyssey Stroke lab is pretty good and I can work with it pretty well.

The sensor 140 CC is a pistol style or axe handle style, it contacts so many points of my hand so comfortably, I literally feel like I am holding equally at all points.

What I have noticed is the last three fingers of my left hand need pressure/contact with the grip. The smaller and straight grips force me to hold onto the club harder with the left hand without realizing it and I take the club head back poorly outside the line. If I focus really hard I can let the pressure down with my left hand and swing quite well, but the large pistol style grips work extremely & remarkably well for me. I putt regular grip. Left-hand hi.

The only problem with the sensor grip is its a little heavy (124g) and causes the swing weight to go down a little bit, so  added 10 g to the head of my Scotty Cameron and it is the most flawless repeatable stroke I have ever had. but I am constantly having to monitor my grip pressure. I think that is an underrated concept for most mid handicappers.... think about your grip pressure as you set up and stroke the ball. Depending on how bad your chip shot was determines whether or not you are strangling the putter.

Same recommendation as above try out a whole bunch of the new grips for comfort it should fill up your hand until the tip of your middle finger just touches your thumb pad,  the golf stores are great because you can hold 20 or 30 grips and see/ visualize holding your putter comfortably.

That is how I tripped across the sensor, soon as I picked it up I just said wow that is so comfortable. So yes I think it is the grip.

Good luck

sensr 140 cc.jpg

Edited by Taserface

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter