Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

KBS Hi-Rev Wedge Shaft

Part 2 in my series of reviews on KBS shafts. Part 1 (with explanations of why this is a "mini-review") can be seen here: http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/4030-kbs-hybrid-shaft/

Intro

As we all know, the USGA changed the rules on grooves recently, and since then golf equipment companies have been trying to help us get our spin back. While OEMs are introducing different technologies such as new groove patterns to combat these new rules, shaft manufacturers have also entered the fray with wedge shafts that work to increase spin. The KBS Hi-Rev shaft is one such shaft, with promises of as much as a 500 RPM boost in backspin.

First Test Session

I received KBS Hi-Rev shafts in X flex and installed one in a 64* wedge and another in a 60* wedge. I took these two wedges to the range along with another 64* wedge that was shafted with a Dynamic Gold wedge shaft and two other 60* wedges: one with a Dynamic Gold shaft and one with a KBS Tour stiff shaft. I staked out a target green with flags ranging from 80 to 100 yards and went to work. One thing that was evident right away was that the KBS Hi-Rev does NOT produce out-of-control, high launching shots like other "high spin" wedge shafts. While the KBS Hi-Rev did launch higher than the Dynamic Gold, it was pretty much on the same level as the KBS Tour. It did seem that the KBS Hi-Rev created more spin than the other two shafts in the test group, though it was difficult to say exactly how much difference there was since I was not able to walk out to the green and see the results. My only method of judgment was that the shots hit with the Hi-Rev seemed to stop 1-2 bounces sooner than the other two.

One final note on the feel of the shaft: I was very pelased to find that the KBS Hi-Rev feels and balances much like the regular KBS Tour. My only other experience with "high spin" shafts to this point has been with a Rifle Spinner shaft. The Spinner felt extremely heavy and soft in the tip section, and, while it was fun on very short shots, it was hard to control on full swings. The Hi-Rev seems like less of a novelty item and more the type of shaft that would actually end up in your bag if you need that little bit of extra bite around the green.

*Obviously this is a pretty light entry, but I wanted to get this started. I am planning to take this bag of wedges to the local par-3 for some slightly more scientific testing in the coming weeks. As always, if you have any experience with this shaft, please feel free to add it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've slacked on updates for this thread...too much work and not enough golf lately. I did get it to the range today and I wanted to add a couple more thoughts. Today I was working with the 64* wedge that I have with the KBS Hi-Rev. My two notes were:

1) There is a little additional "kick" feel in the tip of the shaft compared to the standard KBS Tour. This is to be expected from a high spin shaft, but this was the first time I really noticed it. Nothing loose or flimsy feeling, just a little more kick at the bottom of the swing.

2) The ball flight I was producing with the 64* was very interesting: the ball seemed to "hang" in the air at it's peak height before dropping and stopping. It didn't balloon (even into the headwind), it just looked as if someone hit a pause button mid-flight. I was noticing this even on shots that were hit a little thin. This seems to tells me that there really is quite a bit more spin on this shaft than the standard KBS Tour shaft, and that spin boost it isn't limited to perfectly struck shots. If you tend to miss thin, and want more spin in your wedges, the Hi-Rev is definitely worth a look for you.

Finally: SHAFT GIVEAWAY! I believe that I have one extra Hi-Rev shaft (X-Flex) from KBS that I don't have plans for. If you are willing to add your experiences to this thread, I will be happy to send it to you if you will cover shipping charges. PM me if you're interested.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 1 month later...

This has been a really tough year financially for me so yesterday was the first round (half round technically) that Ive played all year.It also marked the first time Ive hit a ball with this shaft. I really wish I would have spent some time on the range with it first, but trial by fire isn't always a bad way to go. I have never been much of a spinner due to lack of ability on my part. Ive tried every technique that Ive read about, play Srixon Z Star X balls, but have never really been able to find it in my swing. I know everyones thinking, go take some lessons. That is definitely on my to do list, but not in the budget at this time.

My equipment: I currently play KBS shafts in my hybrid, my irons, and all of my wedges. The irons are Maltby F1s with KBS Tours and the wedges are Maltby Tricepts with the Black Nickel KBS wedge shafts. The highest loft I carry is a 60 so thats where it went. Before the Hi Rev, I could say without reservation that I had loved the combination of this clubs components. It made me nervous to dismantle it, knowing that I might not like the HR and have to swap it back, and its juju no longer being intact. I made the swap anyway, spined the shaft and doweled it (just like the rest of my clubs) and then it sat in my bag for 2 weeks. On a side note, I just realized that I dont think Ive ever done a WITB post.

On the Course: I get my bag ready, head to the course and knock the first ball to 20 yards off the flag. Great, first hole, lets see what this sucker can do. Grip the club, address the ball, backswing, and...topped it. The ball dribbled on to the apron so I grudgingly put the wedge back in the bag. The second hole is a super elevated green thats completely blind when youre 50 yards out as I was for my approach. This shot went much better as far as the launch angle and it felt amazing, but since the shot was blind, I couldnt tell you about the landing. It wasnt until the third shot, about 35 yards that I fell in love with this shaft. The ball cut through the air in slow motion in the most beautiful arc Ive ever seen (when I was the source). Even with my lack of ability, the ball bounced once and stopped. I might have imagined it, but the ball seemed to move back about 2 lengths during that bounce. My exuberant vocalization might have even been louder, although in a different tone, than when I had duck hooked my driver shot on the same hole. I only used the club 2 more times, one fat, one thin, so I wont go into detail on those.

My feelings after my first time using the shaft? I'm not going to comment on how it effected my score, since I was trying this club out new as well as a driver that I had never hit outside of the nets at the store so I'm using that as an excuse. I loved the feel, possibly more so than the Tours that are on my irons and the black nickels on my other wedges. Honestly Im not sure how much of that is that I have always loved my 60 anyway, but I know the feel was amazing, the swing was smooth, and I cant wait to get out and really get into the groove with it. That being said, I had one problem yesterday. I'm not sure yet if it was the fact that I was rusty or the ridiculous amount of spin that I would have to get used to, but every shot was shorter than I was used to. I can only answer this after I have taken it out a few more times so I will have to post again later. I will be playing Medinah in a few weeks so I'm sure it will be getting quite the workout there.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived