Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Bertha Warbird circa 1994

Beakbryce

So here I am 26 years after I was gifted an 11 degree Big Bertha Warbird. It replaced my wooden driver and it felt a lot different.  While many clubs since then have come and gone, that one has made every move in the intervening years. Yesterday, decided to take it out after 20 years and hit it. It was replaced so many years ago because I hooked it. Not anymore. I didn't try it on every hole, but all but one was dead straight and that one was a little baby draw. So here's the scoop. I used TP5 and Chrome Softs. My gamer right now is an 9 degree Epic. Given that it has a longer shaft and better technology, it was no surprise the Epic was roughly 20 yards longer except for one that was 40 yards and I thought I hit both well. Gust of wind, sprinkler head? who knows? The trajectory on the Warbird was a little flatter but it still hit a pretty good window.  The other surprising thing was it was virtually silent. No loud crack when hitting the ball. And boy is that clubhead small with virtually no feel whatsoever. Still, I can see me once or twice a month moving up a tee and whacking that baby around the course. Now, if I can just find the guy to whom I sold those ping eye 2 clubs. New shafts and who knows?

Beak

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

it is surprising to me how well the "experienced" clubs of our past preform when compared with clubs of today. I've often wonder why that is. Could be that we're swinging better, maybe not as hard. Who knows. But it sure is fun to that them out, dust them off and take them for a spin around the course.

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX