TESTERS WANTED! ×

So ... How Far Would You Go For More Distance?

golfinnut

If you are like me, you are forever searching for that extra edge to gain that bit of distance.  So how far would you go to get that extra edge?  

Would you: 

• workout more to gain some muscle?
  • get some lessons to find that magic move? 
  • buy a new driver?

Here's the real question ..... would you buy an "Illegal" COR Driver?  One company, KRANK, is known for their clubs that the Long Drive Champions all use.  They put out outstanding claims that will give you "20 - 40 more yards."   Now before you say, "well that's illegal COR, there are reasons why the USGA puts limits in place on manufacturing."  Think about this ... the drivers that are on the market are the same as the drivers that are being used by the Pro's on Tour.  They swing the club 125+ mph ... I don't know about you, but I'm getting up there in age & don't quite swing that fast anymore .... so how do you think you're going to get the same performance out of the club that a Pro does? 

Well, I took the plunge in search of the extra distance.  Now my question is, if you use an illegal COR driver, does that make you an "illegal" golfer.  What I mean is, can you post scores?  Are your birdies now "fake" birdies?  "Haha, you wouldn't have made that par 5 in two if you didn't hit it so far."  

I don't play competitively anymore .... I play for fun.  If I can hit the ball farther with technology, even if it's illegal, and it helps me get more enjoyment out of the game, then so be it.   I don't care what people think.  

So what say you MGS?  How far would you go?   BTW .... did MGS ever do a review of these clubs?  I'd like to find out if the claims are true.  BTW .... I haven't played a round with it yet but I am hitting bombs in the backyard!  LOL 🙂

Krank_#1.jpg

Krank_#2.jpg

Krank_#3.jpg

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

If your just playing for fun who cares what your hitting.  If you are posting scores for a handicap you just need to realize this is with non conforming equipment and its not a true handicap. It's like the guy who uses the Pirate balls that are smaller in diameter to reduce the air resistance. Same effect, both non conforming.

It will be interesting to see if this driver does go that much further. Keep us posted. 

When I want to get it further down the fairway I move up a set of tees. 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

If your just playing for fun who cares what your hitting.  If you are posting scores for a handicap you just need to realize this is with non conforming equipment and its not a true handicap. It's like the guy who uses the Pirate balls that are smaller in diameter to reduce the air resistance. Same effect, both non conforming.
It will be interesting to see if this driver does go that much further. Keep us posted. 
When I want to get it further down the fairway I move up a set of tees. 
Yeah but that means you're still hitting it as short as before. Just from a tee forward

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For fun, sure, play whatever works.

But a competitive round or money round with buddies, then no... as it wouldn't be fair. And since competitive rounds involve official handicaps, one attained through "illegal" equipment would be valid either.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have a few friends who have non conforming clubs. The way I see it, play what you want. The caveat is you gotta be honest with others when you play. If your not willing to be honest with others about the equipment you are using when it matters, then maybe you should think about why your buying it. If your intention is to just have fun with some friends as a weekend hacker, I'm sure nobody will really care about what's in your bag. To be honest my friends who have nonconforming clubs also carry more than 14 in their bag. Does it bother me, no because we are enjoying the game and not competing. If we were competing, then it's a different story.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

16 hours ago, golfinnut said:

If you are like me, you are forever searching for that extra edge to gain that bit of distance.  So how far would you go to get that extra edge?  

Would you: 

• workout more to gain some muscle?
  • get some lessons to find that magic move? 
  • buy a new driver?

Here's the real question ..... would you buy an "Illegal" COR Driver?  One company, KRANK, is known for their clubs that the Long Drive Champions all use.  They put out outstanding claims that will give you "20 - 40 more yards."   Now before you say, "well that's illegal COR, there are reasons why the USGA puts limits in place on manufacturing."  Think about this ... the drivers that are on the market are the same as the drivers that are being used by the Pro's on Tour.  They swing the club 125+ mph ... I don't know about you, but I'm getting up there in age & don't quite swing that fast anymore .... so how do you think you're going to get the same performance out of the club that a Pro does? 

Well, I took the plunge in search of the extra distance.  Now my question is, if you use an illegal COR driver, does that make you an "illegal" golfer.  What I mean is, can you post scores?  Are your birdies now "fake" birdies?  "Haha, you wouldn't have made that par 5 in two if you didn't hit it so far."  

I don't play competitively anymore .... I play for fun.  If I can hit the ball farther with technology, even if it's illegal, and it helps me get more enjoyment out of the game, then so be it.   I don't care what people think.  

So what say you MGS?  How far would you go?   BTW .... did MGS ever do a review of these clubs?  I'd like to find out if the claims are true.  BTW .... I haven't played a round with it yet but I am hitting bombs in the backyard!  LOL 🙂

Krank_#1.jpg

Krank_#2.jpg

Krank_#3.jpg

Years ago, I read somewhere that the Krank, and other “non-conforming” heads only gave the hitter an additional 5%, tops. Today, I’m not sure. If I needed yardage, I’d for sure find out what they claim, see if the have a 100% return payback if I didn’t meet the claimed yardage, and then buy if there is 100% money back.

5%??? 10 yards for a 200 yard hitter... They’re going to buy a driver no matter what, so might as well get another 10 yards, one less club on the second shot...

If folks have money on the line, than go to hcp and don’t give-up as many strokes if it’s that big of a deal. Heck, the amateur that bought the “illegal club” STILL has to get to the green and make putts! 10 yards for a short knocker isn’t much. 30-50 would be!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

You still have to get to the green and put it in the hole right? What if the rest of your clubs are conforming and you get a birdie ... is it an illegal birdie? Did you shoot a 72 really?

If you are playing fro fun the birdies still count for sure. As some have mentioned the small increase in distance is probably not enough dramatically change your game. Officially I am sure those scores cannot be used for an official handicap, but if you are sweeping the dew mostly by yourself (gotta get the holes in before the kids have been up too long) do whatever makes the game more fun.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

What equipment you play matters little to me, until there is money on the line, 

Highly doubt anyone here is going into their wallet to settle a bet with a player who says he is using nonconforming equipment. 

Naturally, all bets are off anytime during the round if your caught, for all you non disclosure types. Lol's

On 8/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, golfinnut said:

You still have to get to the green and put it in the hole right? What if the rest of your clubs are conforming and you get a birdie ... is it an illegal birdie? Did you shoot a 72 really?

And breaking the rules means you're a cheater...😀

Honestly do what you want. I don't think it really matters. If you establish a handicap with an illegal club it is still a handicap and fair to all others you are playing against. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I have actually done all three work out, lessons, and a new driver.

I am 29 now and I hit the ball maybe 20-30 yards further than I did when I was 24 with the driver. Mostly that is due to improvements in consistency of strike and delivery but probably fitness as well. I was a former college football player so I have always had some explosiveness in my golf swing and good swing speed, but with football I was bulky. Post football I leaned out and focused on working on my core, leg, and back along with flexibility. Working on those parts of my body along with flexibility have definitely led to some distance gains.

I started getting lessons last year and getting my strike consistent along with my delivery has helped. When I was younger I would swing out of my shoes trying to hit it farther and that would lead to high spinny fades. Now with the lessons and working on my technique I swing much smoother but get far more out of it. I am no longer all over the face of the club and that's kept my ball speeds up

I would say the driver probably had the least effect on distance but may contributed a bit to accuracy. So I wouldn't use an illegal club since I dont think I would see much in gains and I worry I would lose control

If I were chasing distance I would look at lessons and fitness as my big factors to focus on. Especially building a strong base and core to support higher swing speeds by helping me hold my posture, but working on flexibility.

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

• 3 weeks later...

I hit it 270ish. My plan is to gain flexibility and lose weight over the winter. I got up to 260lbs. and I want to get back into the 200-215 range by the start of next season, I'm currently at 245. I'm hoping that the returning flexibility will aid in distance. Need to focusing on squaring the clubface and consistent ball flight once the season begins.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a sucker for new driver technology and you tube driving methods.   Bryson stated the other day that to have a meaningful driver  improvement session you need to hit at least 100 balls.   In the last year have not changed the driver and with a mowed fairway can stretch a 280 to 290 yd drive to 300 yds.  That said whenever I try to swing fast on a golf course have a seemingly 1/3 chance of fairway and rough.  A smooth swing is nowadays long enough.  Taking Bryson's advice need a lot of practice to swing fast and hit in the fairway.              

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

I think the choice comes down to the reason behind why you're hitting shorter. 

For me, the longest I've hit my driver was about 265 carry with a rollout to 285. I hadn't been working out much at that point, but I'd been working solely on driving for a month at the range and finally pured a ball off the tee. But I rarely hit it like that because my technique falls apart quickly if i'm not religiously practicing. So at least for me, lessons and technique work are the limiting factor. 

In contrast, I look to a friend of mine who works out every day (previously trained to be a professional athlete and his calves are thicker than my biceps). Because of his workouts, his leg and core strength is incredible and his swing speed is one of the fastest I've seen, which allows him to consistently drive over 300 carry. So in his case, weight training and working out is the defining factor 

Long story short .... it depends. At least for me, it's technique. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Honestly, no matter what clubs you game ( I game a mix of old and new) everyone no matter what age can actually benefit from a quick 20 minute golf centered yoga routine targeted around the hips, glutes and lower back. Barring any major physical impediment to those areas you will see an improvement. 1st thing in the morning works best, get some light bands too, and more importantly do your purposeful yoga before practice/rounds. Not saying you need to go through this entire thing every time but take a few moves and boil it down to your own 10 minute routine 

Driver: Ben Hogan GS53 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-Stiff

3wood: Ping g400 Aldila Rogue Stiff

2&4hybrid: Cobra King F8 Aldila Rogue Stiff

5-PW: Sub70 699 (2deg flat)  KBS Tour Taper X-Stiff

48deg Cleveland RTX4 Tour Raw

54deg Callaway PM Grind

60deg Cleveland Tour900 BRZ

Putter: Evnroll ER10 Outback

• 1 year later...

Gaining muscle has little to zero benefit to us amateurs as we don’t swing hard enough often enough to need to the durability of muscles* 

being of healthy weight and flexible enough to get hips through has a much bigger effect on us. That and hitting the middle of the face. 

how far would I go for distance? I’d shorten shaft length and inch and hit the screws, unless you’re at 300 already that and being slim and flexible enough to get the hips through should be main focus. 

*Theres relatively zero force needed to move a golf ball what’s needed is speed and “working out” rarely targets these fast twitch fibres. 

Edited by PankaGolf

"C'mon be good"

I'm not eagerly seeking more distance from my driver, but I'd be willing to negotiate for a pin seeking wedge 😄  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Hitting the ball longer is a combination of number of factors.  The right combination of head and shaft based on the right build for you and your swing.✔️  The right ball. ✔️ Also your swing and tempo. ✔️ If all these parts of the puzzle are connected you should hit the ball correctly long down the middle and rather accurately. ✔️ At 75, I can hit the ball 250 from the blues, whites or senior tees.  It is just easier to hit a short iron rather than a longer iron at my age.  😏

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

There's a gun you can purchase that you put the ball in and select the yardage... might as well buy one of those and use it...    GOLF IS A GAME OF INTEGRITY....   as stated by the USGA who doesn't trust you enough to post a round played by yourself...      GO FIGURE...        18 holes of golf will tell you the real character of a person...    it's all a matter of what impression you want others to have of you...     whatever that is...     GO FOR IT...      SORRY...   I'm a rules of golf official and love the game as it's supposed to be played...    

I played with someone using a KRANK.  He hit it much further than me although he had a much better swing.  I upgrade drivers every couple of years.  I am starting a superspeedgolf program in a week.  I also have started a weight program, not so much for golf, but for weight loss and better conditioning.  I will see how it helps.  I think more yardage will result in more fun.  I am hoping it will equate to more pars and better birdie chances.

Larry E

Retired Aerospace Engineer

Centennial, Colorado

I wouldn't use one.  But, I wouldn't care if I was playing with someone who was.  I guess I would not like it if we were playing for longest drive for $$ or something.

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro